• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Real" Bench Seat Cover Installation Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Real" Bench Seat Cover Installation Question

I ordered a Made in the USA 100% Saddle Blanket seat cover for my truck. The cheapo seat covers that have all of that stretchy junk on the back keep tearing and falling apart. I had to buy something that could take more than extremely light use and not fall apart. There was a saddle cover on the seat before, and IIRC, there was a long piece of nylon rope going through all of the holes. This one I ordered came with a bundle of ~1.5 ft nylon rope pieces. I have no idea how I am supposed to tie the seat cover down? There are loops on the seat cover about 1 ft apart all the way around the edges and going down the middle of the cover where the seat folds. I'm hoping someone on here can enlighten me a bit?

Thanks!

Re: "Real" Bench Seat Cover Installation Question

Hey Tyler,

Step 1. Call the manufacture and explain that it's poor customer service to NOT include instructions with their product.

After you get that out of your system it's always easier.

I always lace mine like I do boots.
    From the front of the seat bottom to the rear seat bottom all the way across making it nice and snug. Then from the top of the back to the all the same points on the back of the seat bottom.

It sounds like you can do roughly the same thing with the 1.5' lengths of rope making a 'V' from from to back with each rope.

If they aren't long enough to make a 'V', I would use 1 going front to back in an 'X' as opposed to just going straight front to back in an 'I'.

In either situation it will be easier to snug them using a eye knot in the center of each piece of rope. To make an eye just double the rope over on itself and tie a square knot in the loop end making a loop in the middle of the rope.

Tie one end to the rear seat cover loop, run the other end through the front loop then back through the loop you tied in the rope. Pulling on the loose end will cinch it up tight without abrading the seat cover loop.

HTH
    Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. They don't even seem long enough to reach across, but once it is actually on the seat, it probably will be. There is definitely not enough to go there and back If all else fails, I will just go buy a nylon rope and cut to fit.

Comment

Sounds like it should work for you. I like to stretch mine real tight, that's why I use the eye knot. Sometimes the rope will abrade the loops on the cover and they'll break, then I'm S.O.L., with the eye knot all the abrasion happens on the rope which is easy to replace if it breaks.

FYI. My brother bought that fake Stallion I posted pics of a month or so ago. It is indeed a '96 GT 4.6L convertible. It runs like a top. Just rolled 100,000 miles on the odometer (first tune-up). Someone stuffed a roll bar in it (doesn't look stock, and I've never seen a pic of stock roll bar in a GT). The owner before the current seller owns a huge Chevy dealership in the area. Apparently he 'installed' the decal kit (left a roll of the gold pen stripe in the trunk) and a new convertible top (maybe the roll bar). All in all, looks like he got a sweet deal, $5500 + another $1800 in a tune (with K&N filter and Iridium plugs), new aluminum radiator, tires (over half of the $1800) and alignment. Blue book is in the ball park, but the car is definitely worth more than $7300. It has that nice 'push you back in the seat' acceleration we all appreciate.

Asta,
        Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

I figured it was just a GT. A roll bar is always something nice to have in a 'vert either way. If it runs good and he got it for basically what it was worth, then sounds like it was a sweet deal! I have toyed with the idea of getting another 'Stang and beefing it up. I will probably almost absolutely do it either way when mine is paid off (only about 18 mo. left!!!).

Something like this, except I'd be using a 5.8 351W H.O. if possible:

I will probably try and get that seat cover on tomorrow if it isn't raining anymore. I will let you know how it goes!

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');