• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frustrated!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated!!

Last night it rained for a very long time, and like I have mentioned before my car sits outside...

I had work the next day and I couldn't wipe the water off my car.

So when I got home I washed it in my dad's garage and then wiped it off right away the surface was really cool before I touched it.

But now I notice there is water drops etched into the paint obviously from the down pour last night. So I ran inside and brang out the NXT Tech wax and tried that NOO luck.

I've put several methods of wax on that car it recently got waxed last week I used ColorX, #20 then #26.

How can I prevent these STUPID water etchings in the paint and how do I get them out without stripping the hard work I just did?

Maybe a dumb question, but anywhere you can park inside? or a car cover? or maybe one of those portable canopy thingies.... just brainstorming here...

Comment

Nope, I was thinking about a car cover but all they do is collect mositure and I don't want to have ANY RUST on the car.

do any of you know anythings what will prevent this?

Comment

You can try to buff them out with a PC. But if you keep it parked outside there's not much you can do about it. Beside's spending the money on a canopy.
        Last edited by JG_Detailing; Aug 26, 2004, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Take it from an old guy. There is no way that you can keep a car looking perfect if it is outside 24/7.

Wash it frequently, keep it well waxed -- like once a month, and accept that it's not going to be perfect.

I have a black Dodge Hemi. Because I have to drive on ten miles of gravel road daily, the only time it looks perfect is sitting in the garage right after a wash or detail.

I went two years without a garage a long, long time ago. My cars were always water spotted a bit.

Perfectionists need to live under a bubble with their toys.

Tom

Comment

hahaha yeah you got that right.

So I guess there's no point trying to get them out?

it's a single stage paint job, even worse for outside conditions. Will it create oxidation with water spots everywhere? or will it still be shiny even after a wax?

A wax won't get out water stains right? I would have to use something aggressive am I correct?

Comment

Hard Water Spot Remover??

This is related to the topic; however, it's not a suggestion, but a question for Mike P.

I've seen this product at marine stores.

It states on the label it can be used on fiberglass and painted surfaces.

I'm a little apprehensive to use this on a car finish as it's marketed as a boat product. So, I'm asking Mike or someone at Meguiar's if this product could be used to remove water marks from auto finishes? I assume not, otherwise they would just market the same stuff for cars.

The label states that if this product doesn't remove the spot then use a more aggressive product cleaner (abrasive). Obviously, most of us would try to use #82, DACP, etc. as a more aggressive product to try to remove water marks.
              A great finish begins with the right start!

Comment

We've had some heavy rain followed by immediate sunshine. Yep, My black Hemi is water spotted from sitting outside while all of this was going on. I'll not try too hard to get the spots completely out. I may apply NXT with a PC and really work it in like a cleaner/wax. I've done it before and it got rid of some of the spots. At the next detail, I'll use either MPPC or DACP to get the spots completely out.

Back to your question about how to get out the spots. You can't get them out without removing your wax or sealant at the same time. It takes a pretty aggressive product to remove them.

If I were you on your older vehicle with a single stage paint, I'd use a good cleaner/wax and like I said earlier wax frequently. Unless you have a dark car, you are the only one who will see the spots.

Tom

Comment

I wax the car every week or two.

Does it really matter if the water spots sit there for a very long time? because what's the point trying to get them out when it's gonna happen again on the next rain fall.

Comment

caprice_78,

After one good wax job with NXT tech wax, use the NXT booster spray wax weekly. That will be more than good enough and you actually will have time to drive your car.

Tom

Comment

Re: Hard Water Spot Remover??

Originally posted by fiberrich
                      This is related to the topic; however, it's not a suggestion, but a question for Mike P.

I've seen this product at marine stores.

It states on the label it can be used on fiberglass and painted surfaces.

I'm a little apprehensive to use this on a car finish as it's marketed as a boat product. So, I'm asking Mike or someone at Meguiar's if this product could be used to remove water marks from auto finishes? I assume not, otherwise they would just market the same stuff for cars.

The label states that if this product doesn't remove the spot then use a more aggressive product cleaner (abrasive). Obviously, most of us would try to use #82, DACP, etc. as a more aggressive product to try to remove water marks.
                      I actually helped to write the label copy on that product about a year ago. I remember asking your same question because I was curious myself. However, I have forgotten the answer.

I'll see what I can find out.

Mike
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mike!

Seeing the product in the marine store just has my curiosity as to if it would work for water marks on a car finish!

Comment

The Meguiar's Hard Water Spot Remover (M-47) is not recommended by us to use on an automotive finish. The testing and design was all based upon gel coat and marine paint applications, therefore, no guarantee as to the results on an automotive finish.

Keep in mind I see two different words being tossed around in this thread.

1) Water Spots
                          2) Water Etching

Water Spots are above surface and are minerals left behind on the surface. These are usually pretty easy to remove with a variety of products.

Water etching is a below surface defect and 99% of the time will require the use of a rotary buffer and the right product to remove material, thus removing the etching.

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer on how to not get either of these on your vehicle, especially since it is out 24/7.

I hope this helps.

Mike
                          Mike Pennington
                          Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
                          Meguiar's, Inc.
                          800-854-8073
                          mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Hey, thanks for the answers!

Good point between the meaning of water spots vs. water etching, thus the reason for the name of the product.

You guys are great!

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');