• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

smudges on clay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smudges on clay

i clayed this BMW 2004 blackvery good shape

owner states its never seen a bodyshop.

there are smudges that came off alover diffrent sections of the car. ive never seen before along with a whole lot of other dirt / grime etc.., these where black smudges make me think they were paint/ i thought it might be tutchup paint but ruled that out on closer inspection. FTR i used very catious tech in claying with lots of detailer. i still cant believe how a car that looks so clean can be proved so dirty by a clay bar. Ideas

Re: smudges on clay

It's not paint. It's some kind of contaminant

I get this types of smudges in the lower section of a car where real dirty sits and bonds to the paint. Lots of car may trick you, the clay will reveal the truth!

Comment

looks like tar or rubber to me. Just an idea.

Andy
      Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
      Andy M. Moderator

Comment

I agree with the others... looks normal to me, its a good thing! you are removing the contaminants likely tar or similar.
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Yup i to agree with everyone. It looks perfectly normal. That usually comes from hitting a bad area on the lower half of the vehicle where you are picking up alot of the built on road grime but at least its gone now
          ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
          Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
          210-281-8151

Comment

x5. I agree that either tar or road grime. Pretty sure its not paint.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

If you accidentally go over the rubber or vinyls around the windows you will often get nasty contamination on your clay bars (or buffing pads/towels).

As others suggested, you might have gone over some small areas of tar from the road- likely on the lower panels of the vehicle. Since the car was black it would have been easy to not see it.

Comment

I would say its some kind of tar or grease. Knead it over and continue.
                Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Looks like some kind of tar probably from the lower portion of one of the panels on the car.

On a side note, I edited your post and hit the ENTER key after your first sentence to force your picture under the text.

Usually you want to hit the ENTER key once or twice before inserting an image and once or twice after you insert the image so that you keep everything formatted correctly so it displays correctly.

Just a friendly tip!
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');