• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mud on tires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mud on tires.

my father recently picked up a honda shadow 750, red with a lot of chrome. i cleaned the bike for him, and made it look absolutely gorgeous, unfortunately, my lack of bike knowledge has left him with mud on his tires. its dried and very difficult to scrub off, and since im not sure what to put on bike tires to remove it, i figured i would come to you guys for some expert advice. its mainly in the tread, and im not worried about the dirt along the road touching sections. that should wear off rather quickly.

can get pictures if you need them. thanks!

Re: mud on tires.

Originally posted by redhotchevy2000 View Post
    my father recently picked up a honda shadow 750, red with a lot of chrome. i cleaned the bike for him, and made it look absolutely gorgeous, unfortunately, my lack of bike knowledge has left him with mud on his tires. its dried and very difficult to scrub off, and since im not sure what to put on bike tires to remove it, i figured i would come to you guys for some expert advice. its mainly in the tread, and im not worried about the dirt along the road touching sections. that should wear off rather quickly.

can get pictures if you need them. thanks!
    An all purpose cleaner and a tire brush should take it right off...maybe even some fine steel wool dipped in soapy water.

Pics would help.

EDIT: I mis-read the first time. Maybe a pressure washer would also help to get it out of the grooves.
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Soap and water and a stiff brush should take care of your problem. I've always been able to get the mud off my Jeep tires that way.
      Scott

Comment

thanks guys, ill get on it. i wasnt sure and i surely didnt want my dad to slide out riding his super clean bike. obviously i wouldnt put tire shine on it or anything, but is there anything that is not greasy which could be used to make the tires "black black" as opposed to "grey-black"

ill get pictures as soon as i can,

Comment

Sorry for the late reply to this, been typing like a mad man all morning...

BlueZero and RaskyR1 covered the cleaning aspect as for dressing the tires Meguiar's' doesn't have a tire dressing we recommend for motorcycle tires due to the danger/safety factor with motorcycles having only two thin tires between the hard pavement and the rider.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by redhotchevy2000 View Post
            thanks guys, ill get on it. i wasnt sure and i surely didnt want my dad to slide out riding his super clean bike. obviously i wouldnt put tire shine on it or anything, but is there anything that is not greasy which could be used to make the tires "black black" as opposed to "grey-black"

ill get pictures as soon as i can,
            Multiple cleanings with a good brush & cleaner will give you a 'clean' black look...about the best you can expect since the tires can't be dressed.
            Don
            12/27/2015
            "Darth Camaro"
            2013 Camaro ... triple black
            323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Do yourself a favor + PU an inexpensive MC jack. Harbor Freight has them around $69 + Autozone has one for $99 that I use (my bike's 900lbs). So much easier to just jack it up, spin the wheels, + scrub em real good. Don't forget to check the tire pressure while it's up there.

Comment

This thread is two years old.

I am pretty sure the OP cleaned his tires by now.
                Nick
                Tucker's Detailing Services
                815-954-0773
                2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                  This thread is two years old.

I am pretty sure the OP cleaned his tires by now.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');