• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes I just prefer to sand by hand...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sometimes I just prefer to sand by hand...

Well, everybody’s entitled to their own opinion. All I can say is try it for yourself.

My bet is you’ll be blown away by how much better your results are with a DA compared to hand sanding. I sure was.

It makes sense if you think about it. The critical thing for high quality sanding is consistency. The more consistently you can do something, the more easily you can adjust your process for maximum performance. And once you’ve tuned it to a very high level you can maintain it there.

A DA can perform exactly the same motion, precisely the same way, over and over and over again, thousands of times a minute. A human being simply can’t come close.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
      Well, everybody’s entitled to their own opinion. All I can say is try it for yourself.

My bet is you’ll be blown away by how much better your results are with a DA compared to hand sanding. I sure was.

It makes sense if you think about it. The critical thing for high quality sanding is consistency. The more consistently you can do something, the more easily you can adjust your process for maximum performance. And once you’ve tuned it to a very high level you can maintain it there.

A DA can perform exactly the same motion, precisely the same way, over and over and over again, thousands of times a minute. A human being simply can’t come close.

PC.
      Yeah, I've wet-sanded hundreds of cars over the years helping my old man in his shop. I think his thinking behind it is similar to that of blocking the car during the sanding stages, prior to paint, to obtain the straightest possible panel. Wet sanding by hand you don't sand with a motion like a DA, you use similar motion like when you're blocking the car. Either way I prefer to do it by DA.

I was just curious if there has ever been any studies/test to show which is better.
      Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
        .... Wet sanding by hand you don't sand with a motion like a DA...
        Yes, you use straight strokes for hand sanding vs. the tiny round ones a DA makes. But A human can’t be as consistent as a machine no matter what kind of motion they’re doing. And even though the motions are completely different the end results can be compared directly for uniformity of material removal, ease of buffing out and quality of final finish.

...I was just curious if there has ever been any studies/test to show which is better.
        I don’t know about any formal studies. But the simplest test, hand sanding and DA sanding the same panel in the same session, inspecting the results and then buffing out the scratch from both at the same time is easy enough for anybody to try. When I’ve done it the difference was night and day.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
          Yes, you use straight strokes for hand sanding vs. the tiny round ones a DA makes. But A human can’t be as consistent as a machine no matter what kind of motion they’re doing. And even though the motions are completely different the end results can be compared directly for uniformity of material removal, ease of buffing out and quality of final finish.

I don’t know about any formal studies. But the simplest test, hand sanding and DA sanding the same panel in the same session, inspecting the results and then buffing out the scratch from both at the same time is easy enough for anybody to try. When I’ve done it the difference was night and day.

PC.

Thanks!

I've never done a side by side either but I have always found it easier to remove the sanding scratches from a DA then the scratches from sanding by hand. By hand it seems that some of the scratches can groove down a little deeper.

While I think my old man had good intentions in his thinkning I would agree that DA is the way to go. FWIW he does use the DA at work and it's been some time since I've asked him if he still feels the same way.

Thanks for your input.

Rasky
          Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

DA sanding is definately better! No question about that!

I am hand sanding this Viper for the initial cut. Then doing the final sanding with the DA and the Abralon 2000 grit. I know it's not the perfect procedure, but it's all I have available to me right now. It's going to look a ton better when it's finished
            2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
            2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
            2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
            2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
              DA sanding is definately better! No question about that!

I am hand sanding this Viper for the initial cut. Then doing the final sanding with the DA and the Abralon 2000 grit. I know it's not the perfect procedure, but it's all I have available to me right now. It's going to look a ton better when it's finished
              Waiting to see pics!
              Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

I know my father is old school but he says wet-sanding by hand produces better results anyway....
                As with many topics on this and other forums....We all have to ask ourselves....What does "better" mean ?

Regarding this thread...What does better sanding mean ?

Mike Pennington
                Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
                Meguiar's, Inc.
                800-854-8073
                mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pennington View Post

Regarding this thread...What does better sanding mean ?
                  Easier!
                  2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
                  2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                  2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                  2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Mr. Chapman any pics? Viper? process? anything..

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');