• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to correctly take pictures to document an Extreme Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to correctly take pictures to document an Extreme Makeover

Tips for how to correctly take pictures to document an Extreme Makeover

If you want to do a great job of documenting your work when you're doing an extreme makeover on a special interest car it's vitally important to do two things,
    • Capture the before shots
    • Captures key before & after shots with the camera and the pictures in the same position. If possible also in the same location.

Here's an example, in the pictures below the car and the camera are in the same position but only two shots are with the car in the same location.

Before in the sun

Before in the garage

After in the garage

Couldn't get an after in the sun as the sun was never around when the car was finish and this is a problem for many detailers.

This is a powerful way to capture the before and after photos and keep the proper and even perfect perspective in all your shots to completely tell your amazing before and after story.

We'll add some more pictures and develop this article as time permits but this should get the basic idea across.

MOST IMPORTANT

If you're doing an Extreme Makeover on a Special Interest Car, especially if the paint is a heavily oxidized single stage paint finish or an extremely swirled out clear coat paint finish, the it's vitally important to capture the Before Pictures.

Why?

Because once you bring a machine polisher or even your hand down onto the paint and start removing oxidation and other defects you can NEVER go back and get these pictures. And the reason this is important is because that's where the value and the power in your pictures comes from, the before pictures. Once you've restored the finish you can always get more "After" shots, but you can never go back in time and capture the "Before" shots.

Also, don't do a Test Spot on the paint until AFTER you get all your before shots, it takes too much power away from the before shot.

Car enthusiasts in general and detailing enthusiasts in specific love to see a great write-up of an extreme makeover on a special interest car but what makes a great write up is great before and after shots.

So while yes, it takes some time and some dedication to capture these shots, it's worth it for all the car detailing joy it brings all of us.

Hope this helps...

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: How to correctly take pictures to document an Extreme Makeover

Thanks Mike for your input

Comment

Just in time before I put my G110 to work. (Comes in on Friday, woot!)
      Detailing Enthusiast

Comment

The comments made by Mike are spot on. It really makes a difference when the pictures are taken at the same angle, the same zoom, and the same location/lighting. I've always done this on my details because it makes for the best possible before and after pictures. Here are a few examples I have.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

@cn what do you use for the interior?

Comment

Very well stated. For some reason I never have enough before shots

Richard's Car Restoration
            How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');