• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tried out a cheap random orbital buffer, great results!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried out a cheap random orbital buffer, great results!

This is the one I got, for $19.99 at Discount Auto Parts, a Road Xpedition 6" random orbital buffer. It spins at 2500 RPM. Nothing amazing, but it should work. I also picked up two extra Mirage "Premium Terry Bonnets" since I knew I wanted to try out more than one product.

Then I used some old towels to section off a small test section.

It was an overcast day, perfect for detailing (cool, shade)... but bad for getting pictures. The paint isn't horrible but it's got swirls and minor scratches throughout.

The car was already cleaned and dried, but I used some Meguiars QD to wipe it down and make sure it was clean.

Clayed with "Smooth Surface" clay kit:

Two applications of Scratch X via the terry bonnet. 1 application, wipe off with microfiber, repeat:

One application of Deep Crystal Polish via another terry bonnet.

Coat of hand applied NXT 2.0. Couldn't let it dry all the way because it was starting to rain again.

Results! (compare to the first picture... this is in the same exact spot):

I wanted to get some 50/50 shots of the finished trunk and the unfinished quarter panel... but the lighting wasn't working out. I'll be sure to take more pictures once the weather clears up and I have time to do the entire car. For the $20 spent, I feel like I got great results. There are still some very minor swirls in the paint where I buffed, but I'd say 95% better than it was before. When the sunlight directly hits that section you can just barely make them out, as opposed to the rest of the car where they are painfully obvious.

Oh, and check out my new detailing rack!

--2004 Ford Mustang V6 -- Full mod list and some pictures at my SouthFloridaStangs Vehicle Garage --

Re: Tried out a cheap random orbital buffer, great results!

I had a very similar 6 inch that I got from Walmart for about 13 bucks and I liked it a lot. I basically got it so I could see if I enjoyed working with a machine (and I did), so after a few months with it, I stepped up to the G110 and haven't looked back.

Glad you enjoyed it and it looks like you did some nice work.
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Bravo!

Nice job taking pictures and sharing your story...

Rain? Reminds me to get to the store and get some more sun block...

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

nice! may seem like a stupid question, but why did you bag some of your products on the rack?
        2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Mustang View Post
          nice! may seem like a stupid question, but why did you bag some of your products on the rack?
          I think i saw some m/f cloths together with the product.
          My guess is , one m/f cloth for one product.
          Right ?

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond View Post
            Oh, and check out my new detailing rack!

Very organized, Raymond! I like that in a detailer.
            We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Comment

I was wondering the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by SP|D3RMaN View Post
                I think i saw some m/f cloths together with the product.
                My guess is , one m/f cloth for one product.
                Right ?
                That would be exactly why he would do that.
                We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Comment

Good job, Raymond. Your Mustang is looking good. Your rack id very well organized. Looks like its a breeze to find items. Once again, Good work. Way to go.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks for all the compliments guys!!

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
                    I stepped up to the G110 and haven't looked back.
                    That's my plan as well, as soon as funds allow! LOL

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                    Rain? Reminds me to get to the store and get some more sun block...
                    Typical summer's of South Florida... it's either blistering hot or pouring down rain!!!

Like the other guys mentioned, just to keep things organized. I keep an applicator pad and a microfiber for each product in the bags to avoid mixing them up.

Originally posted by Holden_Caulfield04 View Post
                    Very organized, Raymond! I like that in a detailer.
                    Thanks man.

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                    Good job, Raymond. Your Mustang is looking good. Your rack id very well organized. Looks like its a breeze to find items. Once again, Good work. Way to go.
                    Thanks as usual man. I definitley like this rack set-up much better. I used to have stuff on a small wall-shelf and in a big drawer in the back of the garage. If I wanted to I could wheel the whole thing into the driveway!
                    --2004 Ford Mustang V6 -- Full mod list and some pictures at my SouthFloridaStangs Vehicle Garage --

Comment

How many Terry Bonnets did you use for the entire car? Did they clog with product at any point?

Comment

Originally posted by pwaug View Post
                        How many Terry Bonnets did you use for the entire car? Did they clog with product at any point?
                        Haven't got a chance to do the whole car yet, but I have one bonnet for each product I'm using.

Comment

nice idea on the microfiber towels also good job

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond View Post
                            Haven't got a chance to do the whole car yet, but I have one bonnet for each product I'm using.
                            Are you still using the inexpensive buffer? Or have you found the need for a full fledged DA?

Comment

Originally posted by pwaug View Post
                              Are you still using the inexpensive buffer? Or have you found the need for a full fledged DA?
                              Yo,

Raymond hasn't logged in since January 26th Hope your in no hurry

FWIW... I've tried one of these machines before. A relative gave me one for Christmas. I don't know if it was just me, but I was spinning bonets off like crazy. This in turn exposed the backing plate to the paint I ended up donating the machine to the church for there rummage sale

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');