• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12V Wiring Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12V Wiring Question

Anyone know if it is possible (and how, if so) to wire up a new 12V ignition-on wire from the battery or starter solenoid? I am tapped into an ignition-on fuse right now, but I think my best and safest bet would be to run a new wire just for what I need.

Re: 12V Wiring Question

I've done some electronic soldering and I'm fairly certain you wouldn't have a problem (and it would be easiest) if you just ran it in parallel with the ignition wire. Just cut the wire and solder whatever you want to the two ends and as long as the solder joints are strong you can't go wrong.
    1988 Toyota Tercel 1.5l I4 - AKA the BEAST
    1994 BMW 325CI
    2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    SR Detailing

Comment

What are you trying to accomplish?

Comment

To make a new, stand alone ignition wire for the fuel system (pumps). The south-of-the-border people we bought it from apparently did a custom wiring job at one point in time and it caught fire and shorted. Everything has since been replaced, and would just like for it to have it's own ignition power source.

Comment

For the pumps to come on only when the ignition is switched on you need to have them (or a relay actuating them) wired after the ignition switch. If you wire them directly to the battery or other hot lead they’ll be on all the time.

If you slice in before the fuse block you’ll want to give them their own fuses too. Otherwise you could have more fireworks.

PC.

Comment

Tyler, what vehicle?

If it's the GF's Bronco just run a lead off of the ignition side (the side that's hot when the ignition is on) of the Solenoid mounted to the passenger side front fender. Put a fuse in-line about 12" from the solenoid where you can access it if need be.

Another option (popular in risky neighborhoods) is to run a line directly from the battery to a fused switch mounted under the dash, then back to the fuel pump. This has the added advantage of being a theft deterrent devise. If you don't flip the switch the car won't start.
            I wire all of my off-road and recreational vehicles this way. Then leave the key in the ignition or just replace the ignition with a push button. That way I don't have to worry about loosing a key in the middle of the desert or 100 miles back in the Cascades (it's reallllllllllllly hard to get AAA to respond to call with only GPS coordinates). And it only took 1, 20 mile walk for me to figure this one out.

HTH,
            Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
              For the pumps to come on only when the ignition is switched on you need to have them (or a relay actuating them) wired after the ignition switch. If you wire them directly to the battery or other hot lead they’ll be on all the time.

If you slice in before the fuse block you’ll want to give them their own fuses too. Otherwise you could have more fireworks.

PC.
              The relay is still there, but it needs power which is why I am running off of a 30A fuse right now, but would like to add a fused ignition-on line.

Originally posted by RogueGypsy View Post
              Tyler, what vehicle?

If it's the GF's Bronco just run a lead off of the ignition side (the side that's hot when the ignition is on) of the Solenoid mounted to the passenger side front fender. Put a fuse in-line about 12" from the solenoid where you can access it if need be.

Another option (popular in risky neighborhoods) is to run a line directly from the battery to a fused switch mounted under the dash, then back to the fuel pump. This has the added advantage of being a theft deterrent devise. If you don't flip the switch the car won't start.
              I wire all of my off-road and recreational vehicles this way. Then leave the key in the ignition or just replace the ignition with a push button. That way I don't have to worry about loosing a key in the middle of the desert or 100 miles back in the Cascades (it's reallllllllllllly hard to get AAA to respond to call with only GPS coordinates). And it only took 1, 20 mile walk for me to figure this one out.

HTH,
              Yep, the Bronco. Both sides of the solenoid are always on, I was going to run it from there after I changed the pumps, but could not find one wire under the hood that was only an ignition on.

They were on a switch, and that is how they got fried. The guy at the shop forgot to turn it off and long story short: lesson learned. As for the push button, I had one wired up on the old Cougar.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');