• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences in Makita Rotaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences in Makita Rotaries

On Amazon, there is a Makita 9227c rotary for $189.xx and a Makita 9227CX3 that is only $169.xx that looks like it comes with a bag, and 2 pads. Any differences between the 2 units, or more importantly, why the better equipped unit seems to cost less.

Thanks
    Chris

9227CX3 ($169)

9227C ($189)
    Find something Mike Phillips uses, and use that often.

Re: Differences in Makita Rotaries

I've owned both the 9227C and the 9227CX3.

Basically, the CX3 come with the bag, two wool pads, and it should have the stick and bail handles. Other than that, the rotary itself is the same.

If I were you, I would jump at the chance to get a CX3 for $169. I paid $140 on eBay for mine, so it's pretty close in price.

A word about 9227C's...
    I bought a 9227C off eBay in late summer of last year. It was heavily used and the plastic case was pretty beat up. Plus, it had been used quite a bit - for example, the stock backing plate was stuck on there and my Makita repair shop had to cut it off. But, it ran like a champ. I bought a 9227CX3 off eBay in December. They both perform exactly the same. The point of all this is that the Makita can take a beating and still perform great.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
      The point of all this is that the Makita can take a beating and still perform great.
      X2!

I love my Dewalt buffer, but I would be completely lost without my Makita! They are awesome machines

Buy it if you can swing it. It will pay for itself after your first paid job.

Nick
      2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
      2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
      2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
      2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Since this thread is titled "differences in makita rotaries" I would also like to ask what is different about the 9207. I heard someone, or rather read someone, say that they wish they still made this model. I am just wondering if there is anything special to it as to why they would still wish for an older model?
        I purchased one in good condition on ebay today for 70.

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
          I've owned both the 9227C and the 9227CX3.

...my Makita repair shop had to cut it off. But, it ran like a champ. I bought a 9227CX3 off eBay in December. They both perform exactly the same. The point of all this is that the Makita can take a beating and still perform great.

Makita repair shop? How can I find out where the closest one to me is?

Comment

Originally posted by jpitt1987 View Post
            Since this thread is titled "differences in makita rotaries" I would also like to ask what is different about the 9207. I heard someone, or rather read someone, say that they wish they still made this model. I am just wondering if there is anything special to it as to why they would still wish for an older model?
            I purchased one in good condition on ebay today for 70.
            I believe there were 2 models of the Makita 9207. I have 3 rotaries: Makita 9227, Makita 9207 and the Dewalt 849.

The older 9207 is a beast and built like a tank! My model had only 2 speeds with the lowest being around 1700 rpm. The machine is very heavy and has a more heavy duty feel to it compared to the newer 9227. However, the 9227 with it variable speeds and soft start feature makes learning the rotary a little easier for the beginner. The 9207, the minute you squeeze the trigger, just jerks in your hand and requires a firm grip. It does not have soft start and screams really loud compared to the 9227.

I personally would suggest either the newer 9227 or the Dewalt 849. Here is a picture of my detailing cart as I keep a Makita (for polishing) and a Dewalt(for compounding) set up at all times.

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Nice detail car!

I just checked on makita.com and the one that I purchased was the 9207spc, it has 6 adjustable speeds. I am VERY excited about getting it and trying it out!

Comment

For those of you in the midwest, check out Menards clearance sale on 9227's. The one on southport rd in indy has them for $159.00. There were four of them on a shelf at the front of the store. Haven't checked any other locations.

Paul
                Live like you're not afraid to die.Don't be scared, just enjoy your ride. Chris Ledoux RIP

PAUL SPARKS / Distinctive Auto Detailing
                317-513-4678

Comment

Originally posted by Chris B View Post
                  On Amazon, there is a Makita 9227c rotary for $189.xx and a Makita 9227CX3 that is only $169.xx ...
                  My guess would be: These things happen when a product has been on the market for so long. It has seen many exchange-rate fluctuations and the more expensive 9227C you see is probably overstock from the worse periods.

Def. go for the 9227CX3, you get more for cheaper. The bag is VERY handsome.

Comment

Why is the 9227CX3 cheaper ?

What's exactly the difference to the 9227C rotary ?

It can't be the same for less money with more extras !?

Thanks !

Zauche

Comment

The CX3 comes with the bag, two wool pads, and it should have the stick and bail handles. The rotary included in the 9227CX3 kit is the 9227C.

By having owned both, I can tell you those are the only differences.

I have no idea why the CX3 is cheaper and you get a couple bonuses.
                      Chris
                      Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by jpitt1987 View Post
                        Makita repair shop? How can I find out where the closest one to me is?
                        I located a repair shop via Makita's webpage; however, any exclusive power tool supplier will probably be able to take care of you.

Brandon

Comment

I now have a Makita 9227CB and I LOVE IT !!!

It's lightweight, very good to handle and makes a pleasant sound.

The backing plate holds the pads very good - you can turn on the Makita to full speed without watching your pad fly away !

What should I say - You guys helped me to do the right choice !

Thanks !

Zauche

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');