• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting from "Newly Sprayed" Clear Coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting from "Newly Sprayed" Clear Coat

Hello Guys,
    Please help with info.
    Went through the site and could'nt find info on this..
    I make Custom Cue Caps for Pool Cues and need Automotive Tech. Info.
    on Clear Coat Finishing.
    1. I just finish spraying Polyurethane Clear, Several Coats to make one Thick Coat.. on my Caps. It's now Dry..
    2. I wet sand back till it's smooth and level, with 400, then 600, then 1500, and now 2000..
    I have:
    a) Scratch X,
    b) Showcar Glaze #7
    c) NXT Tech Wax.
    Question -
    1. What step(s) am I missing between the 2000 Grit Wet Sand and the Scratch X?
    2. What step(s) am I missing between the Scratch X and the Showcar Glaze #7?
    3. Want am I missing between the Show Car Glaze #7 and the NXT Wax?..

I don't have and can't use a spray gun, so, I use Min Wax Clear Gloss Polyurethane from a Spray Can.. I cannot start using a pro set-up and start mixing, the cost would make the Cue Caps too expensive..
    The clear coat is O.K.
    I just need advice how to bring the surface from a 2000 grit wet sand to
    a "Crystal Clear" Glass like Surface Finish.
    BTW, The NXT Tech Wax makes my caps so slippery, they squirt out of my fingers and can fall and get damaged.. I gotta warn my customers to open them over a soft surface so they don't Squirt out on them when unwrapping them upon receipt.. Amazing..
    Thnaks for viewing and your help... Alton - Cue Caps Hawaii
    My Album of Custom Caps I've made:
    http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/cuecaps/

Re: Starting from "Newly Sprayed" Clear Coat

Originally posted by Cue Caps View Post

I just need advice how to bring the surface from a 2000 grit wet sand to a "Crystal Clear" Glass like Surface Finish.

Hang tight....

Also, we're going to remove your Avatar and ask that you get one without a scantily clad women in it as we keep this forum family friendly and focused on car bodies, not human bodies....

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
      Hang tight....

Also, we're going to remove your Avatar and ask that you get one without a scantily clad women in it as we keep this forum family friendly and focused on car bodies, not human bodies....

Thanks Mike. Made the change.. No disrespect to you or the other members..
      Forgot to mention. Could I be missing a step between the 600 and 1500 grit Wet sanding?? Like a 1000 grit in between? Or does'nt matter ant that point??

Comment

For some reason I can't edit your Avatar or Profile pictures, we just migrated our forums so it might be a bug we'll have to look into.

I did go to your photos and snagged a picture and cropped it and shrunk it down for use as an Avatar for you, here it is, please use this or another acceptable image for your Avatar and your Profile pictures.

It's also in your gallery.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Mike. Made the change.. No disrespect to you or the other members..
          You beat me to it.

No problem, we're just a little different on this forum and we try to keep it so our grandparents and our children can read and see everything on the forum, than you for complying.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I just need advice how to bring the surface from a 2000 grit wet sand to a "Crystal Clear" Glass like Surface Finish.
            ScratchX is a light paint cleaner and the wrong product for trying to remove sanding marks by hand.

Pick up a quart of our new M105 Ultra Cut Compound and give it a try as it's more aggressive and actually recommended on the label for use by hand to remove paint defects like sanding marks.

After the M105 you'll probably want to re-polish with the ScratchX to make sure the gloss is as high as possible as even though M105 works really well it is an aggressive compound and on some paint systems will need a second step product and process to bring the end-results up to their highest gloss.

After that you can then polish with #7 if you like and then wax with the NXT 2.0

Remember that you can also change how aggressive a product is my changing your application material, for more aggressive cutting power use a piece of cotton towel to apply the M105 and then for polishing after M105 use foam or microfiber applicator pad to apply the ScratchX and then continue using foam or microfiber for your finishing steps as they tend to be more gentle than cotton terry cloth.

M105 Ultra Cut Compound

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Have you tried experimenting with your wet sanding technique? Maybe start with 2000 and then switch to 3000? Or just use straight 3000?
              If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jokeman View Post
                Have you tried experimenting with your wet sanding technique? Maybe start with 2000 and then switch to 3000? Or just use straight 3000?
                Just to add to Jokeman's suggestion, we also offer #2500 in our Nikken line of Finishing papers, so you could start with #2000 and finish with either #2500 and #3000 and this will make removing your sanding marks easier and faster.

The Mirka Abralon system goes to #4000 and comes attached to a foam interface which is like a built-in cushiony backing pad that could easily be conformed around a round surface.

All of the above can be used wet or dry, wet usually allows your paper to cut longer.

Just a consideration.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Guys,
                  I'll Get some 2500 or 3000 while I get the ULTRA-CUT 150.
                  And thanks for the note on the Applicator Material..

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');