• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Residue on Chrome Wheels with Chrome Polish???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Residue on Chrome Wheels with Chrome Polish???

Hi there,

Mike P. If you are reading this, I was at the Open Garage last night with the lifted truck. Remember how I had chrome wheels and it was starting to give off a black residue on the towel when using the chrome polish.

So I found my receipt. Helo Maxx 17x9 Chrome

I am thoroughly confused, and I also don't want to hurt my rims. I tried a little NXT all metal polysh and it gave off that same black (i think, it has been a while)

What do you think I should do? I looked online to call Helo, but all they do is refer you to a store that sells their wheels.

Thanks, Andrew Cabodi

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Re: Black Residue on Chrome Wheels with Chrome Polish???

I wasn't there, but in many cases you may see some black coming off of chrome wheels when using a chrome polish.

That is nothing more than brake dust and grime that wouldn't wash or wipe off because it is "ground" into the pores of the wheel and simply embeded.

The chrome polish is actually deep cleaning so it is removing all of that "stuff"

Lets also see what Mike says since he was there

Mike
    Mike Pennington
    Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
    Meguiar's, Inc.
    800-854-8073
    mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by andrewc_11890
      Hi there,

Mike P. If you are reading this, I was at the Open Garage last night with the lifted truck. Remember how I had chrome wheels and it was starting to give off a black residue on the towel when using the chrome polish.

Yes, it was the wheel in this picture...

Originally posted by andrewc_11890
      So I found my receipt. Helo Maxx 17x9 Chrome

I am thoroughly confused, and I also don't want to hurt my rims. I tried a little NXT all metal polysh and it gave off that same black (i think, it has been a while)

What do you think I should do? I looked online to call Helo, but all they do is refer you to a store that sells their wheels.

Thanks, Andrew Cabodi
      Here's what we did....

Your buddy wiped the wheels clean using Quik Wheel Detailer, then you applied Meguiar's Chrome Polish to a small area on the wheel.

When you turned the white terry cloth towel over we saw black looking residue on the towel.

Seeing black when polishing a aluminum wheel is normal, seeing black from a chrome wheel can be normal if there is a build-up of dirt, but at some point when you're polishing chrome, if your polish is working then you should be able to get the chrome coating clean enough that you no longer pull black or gray residue from the surface because it's clean.

It's not like aluminum where even after aluminum is polished and clean you will continually see black/gray residue transfer to your cloth as you apply fresh polish.

What I had you do after we saw black residue come off your first 'test spot' was I had you re-apply some polish to a clean part of the towel and then apply this to the exact same spot and then turn the cloth over to see if the towel showed white or black from transferred material.

We saw more black residue.

At this point I said before going any further, lets have you double check to make sure these were in fact chrome wheels because...

"Better off safe than sorry"

If you've confirmed from the manufacture that these are chrome wheels the like Mike said, you're likely pulling out embedded brake dust and road grime, nothing to worry about.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Good to see you over here Andrew!

Comment

Haha hey there roush, I never knew you were a MOL Member.

Ok so today I pulled my front wheels in a shaded area and washed them off. I was going to use the Megs Hot Rims Chrome, but then I became paranoid that if they weren't that I didn't want to do any more damage. I just used some gold class soap and a soft bristle wheel cleaner brush and cleaned them off.

I got my NXT All Metal Polysh out with a brand new terry cloth. It too began to turn black. One strange thing I began to notice once I rubbed off the polysh with the clean part of the terry cloth (once again I did a test spot) was that the area I rubbed almost changed color in a way. My rims seem to have an almost blue tint to it, but once it was I used the polysh, the test spot was almost like a gold type of tint. Is this normal. I took some pictures, but it is really hard to pick up with a camera. Here are some pictures where I am pointing to them. (I moved my truck to get some proper lighting and there was water stuck under the cap in the middle of my wheel, so that is why there are water streaks)

Oh I also used the quick rim detailer that you see my friend max using up there in the pic. after I had dried my wheels and then I used the All Metal Polysh.

I may have come to a conclusion, I am not sure if it is correct or not, but I think I may have been using wheel cleaner too much when cleaning my wheels, thus either weakening or removing the chrome. So when I used the metal polish, it started to eat through the chrome and get to the copper below it, thus giving it that slightly gold tint to it. Does this make sense? (keep in mind I the last time I put wax on my rims was about in december, which I really really really should do again)

Comment

It sounds like you've polished through the chrome coating and are now exposing the other layers of the chroming process...

Can't help but think the chrome coating on these wheels must have been whisper thin it's unusual to rub through a chrome coating so easily and relatively quickly, (These are brand new wheels were talking about).

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Just to note...

Moved this out of "Hot Topics" Hot Topics isn't actually a forum to post in, it's where "we" place topics deemed to be of common and popular interest.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Ok Gotcha. Looks like from now on I will just be washing with soap and a brush and putting on wax to protect what is left. I am really surprised that these wheels started to wear through so quickly. I think I will keep that in mind for next time I get a set of wheels.

Comment

I have not read all the responses on this issue so I may be repeating this. It looks like you have rubbed through the platting. If the wheels are still under warranty and you have followed the written care guidelines for the care of these rims, I would go down to the shop you purchased them at and bring this up with them.

Should be a warranty issue.

Tom Mac Donald
                  Meguiar's Inc
                  800-854-8073 ext. 117

Comment

Nice Avatar Tom...

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Just a question??the only way to repair this is to re-chrome them??
                      I AM HERE TO LEARN

Comment

Originally posted by pampos View Post
                        Just a question??

the only way to repair this is to re-chrome them??
                        Correctamundo....

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

What if the sanded and painted with a chrome effect paint??
                          Maybe is cheaper ??
                          I AM HERE TO LEARN

Comment

Originally posted by pampos View Post
                            What if the sanded and painted with a chrome effect paint??
                            Maybe is cheaper ??
                            Won't look the same, certainly won't hold up as well as chrome

At this point, besides contacting the manufacture about coverage under the warranty, the best thing to do would be to not rub on this area any more and just keep the wheels clean as best as you can.

Seems that on older cars the chrome layer was thicker and less prone to something like this.

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                              Seems that on older cars the chrome layer was thicker and less prone to something like this.

I agree. Plus where would you find a re-chromer not many left. I think there is a rechromer in LA called bumper boyz I think. What brand are the Wheels?
                              Alex
                              1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
                              1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
                              1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');