• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the windscreen treated with wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the windscreen treated with wax?

Guys, there is one query that troubled me for some time and hope experts here can help me.

1) Should the front windscreen polished with wax?

2) If it is polished with wax on the windscreen surface, will the wiper judder after some time?

3) Is it best for the wiper to work with no-wax glass surface if the answer to question 1 above is "NO"?

Re: Should the windscreen treated with wax?

1. I don't because for me, it has only led to chatter
    2. ^^^
    3. Get silicone blades.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
      1. I don't because for me, it has only led to chatter
      2. ^^^
      3. Get silicone blades.
      I use silicon blades before and it will also coat the windscreen with silicon, when you wipe with less water, it will judder also.

Comment

I tend to use RainX and have not gotten chatter, but some people do. Seems like it is soemthing that must be tried for each car/wiper to see if it works.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          I tend to use RainX and have not gotten chatter, but some people do. Seems like it is soemthing that must be tried for each car/wiper to see if it works.
          So anyone know whether the windscreen need to be wax or just plain glass surface without anything so that the wiper can glide smoothly over the windscreen?

Comment

I would give claying a try. I have never used a rain-x type product on the exterior glass. However, I have noticed a huge improvement in the glass after claying. I also wipe down the blades each time I wash my vehicle. No chatter, skipping. This combo works well for me.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

I'm trying UQD on the glass - so far it's working well. On my car when the windscreen is very clean and with nothing on it, I get a tiny bit of chatter. The UQD stops the chatter, and once it has worn off the chatter returns to the same level as before.

It's early days yet but my initial impressions of the longevity of the UQD on the glass are positive. We've had a lot of rain here lately and it certainly didn't wear off straight away from the wipers.

I once tried a standard carnauba based car wax on my windscreen and that DID cause a lot of chatter. However, I have also tried an acrylic sealant, and the sealant was ok - no chatter. (but didn't last long in the rain)

Greg.

Comment

Originally posted by carlover76 View Post
                So anyone know whether the windscreen need to be wax or just plain glass surface without anything so that the wiper can glide smoothly over the windscreen?
                At this time Meguiar's does not offer a product for waxing or treating glass nor do we recommend applying any of our automotive waxes for this purpose.

Glass is nothing like automotive paints.

We offer NXT Glass Cleaner and Glass Cleaner/Concentrate in our Professional Detailer Line, but at this time we don't make any kind of wax or sealant to treatment for glass.

There are other products on the market for this job as someone else mentioned, Rain-X is a mainstream glass treatment that you can find at most automotive stores. Don't know if it will fix the problem you describe but it is an option you can test.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Wax, no way. You can try a chrome / glass polish.
                  AeroCleanse, LLC
                  Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
                  www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Actually what I've found is that the jutter is usually due to cheap wiper blades. I use to get that, and without changing anything but going to Bosch blades, I can now say that my wipers make NO noise, work fine, and we are talking about letting them sit in the SoCal sun for a good 6 months now, and I see no reason why they won't stop working till the end of the year. This is with a waxed window and without.

I am temped to get some RainX though. The only thing that steers me away is that I have tried their interior fog product and was rather disappointed.

Comment

I have silicone blades and the chatter comes around about half the time on a drier windshield. I did no cleaning on the window though beforehand, I think one of these days I just need to give it a good claying and see what happens. My friend bought expensive PIAA ones and didn't have any problems. I bought the TripleEdge ones.

Comment

I normally would not recommend other than Meguiars products, but a product like Griot's Glass Polsh or similiar (Janvil et al)will eliminate hard water marks and provide protection. Applying wax will be a short term solution at best for glass.

Comment

Originally posted by new2detailing View Post
                          Applying wax will be a short term solution at best for glass.
                          With very, very frequent (but gentle, with small amounts of automotive glass cleaner) cleaning, and a lot of rain (hence wiper usage), I felt that I got a good week out of an application of UQD for my first go. I reckon this is pretty impressive for a product which isn't even a wax/sealant. Because it is very easy to apply and buff away the streaks, I'm going to keep using it and get a better feel for the longevity. I'm also going to try using plain water to clean the windscreen when possible, only using a glass cleaner when absolutely necessary - that might help too.

When I tried RainX it worked well (certainly with no chatter either), however I absolutely hated the application process. (I found it extremely difficult and time consuming to buff away the streaking/smearing). I intend to try RainX again using a machine to do the buffing. One reason I am putting this off is that RainX rrecommend that the buffing cloth be discarded after use. (even when I actually contacted them, they still could not recommend any way to clean the cloth). Maybe just shoving a bit of paper underneath the buffer might work.

Greg.

Comment

I tend to apply RainX with a paper towel, so I guess that solves that problem.

I remove it with a cheap MF cloth though, and just washing it as normal seems fine.
                            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                              I tend to apply RainX with a paper towel, so I guess that solves that problem.

I remove it with a cheap MF cloth though, and just washing it as normal seems fine.
                              Thanks. Sounds like I ought to give a MF buffing bonnet a go. (although I'd probably devote the bonnet to RainX use only)

EDIT: I'm less concerned about the thing I use to actually apply the RainX - I'm happy to devote any old bit of cloth to that purpose because I don't think product buildup, if it occurs, would matter much - all it's doing is spreading the RainX around. (although maybe buildup DOES matter even for application - I hadn't given it much thought)

Btw the ways I am deciding when the product (whatever it is) has worn away are a combination of:
                              a) Beading
                              b) Chatter/Judder
                              c) Ease of buffing with my MF cloths. (when my windscreen is very clean and devoid of wax/sealant, my MF cloths grab badly and bunch up - these are general purpose cloths - not glass cleaning cloths. When there is a product on the glass, it is easier to buff.

Greg.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');