• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'lo, folks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'lo, folks...

I've been lurking for a while, and finally signed up so you guys can listen to me ramble and ask a ton of questions... My name's Joe, and I'm from Pittsburgh. As you can likely guess from my username, my DD is a 94 Jeep Cherokee. You won't hear too many questions about that one, as I've gotta take care of the missing/rusted metal and failing clearcoat before I do much detailing on it. That one'll probably be next summer.

I learned the "secrets" of detailing and paint repair from my dad and grandfather mostly... And all of it was from back in the days when a wool pad on a rotary would fix anything, and chemicals didn't have numbers. They were just called red, white, and Collinite. Needless to say, I've got a fair bit of catching up to do. At least I'm not afraid of using a rotary.

I'm actually taking a break from my first major project in a while: fixing four years worth of gravel road and sawmill gunk damage on my dad's new to him '04 F150. It was purchased from a family friend who lives up in the middle of nowhere. Cobwebs and swirls all over the place, but it looks like it's gonna be pretty straightforward. I'll get some pictures as the process goes along and put those in Detailing 101. I'm figuring it'll be done by the weekend.

At this point, I probably owe you guys a ton of thanks just for the things I've learned from lurking and reading, and even more thanks in advance for all the questions I'm sure you'll be getting out of me soon. I'm glad I found this place.

Re: 'lo, folks...

Welcome to MOL!

Good luck with your detail and I'll be keeping an eye out for the pics.

Rasky
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Welcome to MOL Joe!

Jeeps should be coated with mud every now and again.
      Scott

Comment

Rasky: Thanks. I'm waiting for the old guy to get home and dig up his camera so I can get some befores... I'm working on one side of the cab now, but the other has just got a good washing so far. He should be home in the next hour or so.

BlueZero: haha, if you saw the holes in my rockers you'd know why mine doesn't get muddy. When you drive a Jeep, your boots aren't supposed to get dirty because you don't have to dig or winch yourself. Right now, I'd get soaked as soon as I got in over the lug nuts. Hopefully I'll have patches in and POR-15'd next weekend... I got it for $1200 with 195k on it but a relatively fresh tranny, TC, and rear, so I was expecting a project. Hopefully I'll have patches in and POR-15'd next weekend... (and maybe the 2" Budget Boost I have hiding in the back corner of the garage he doesn't know he'll be helping me with!) THEN I can get muddy again, assuming his truck ever gets done. I knew the newer Fords were bigger than the old ones, but there's a heck of a lot more metal to them than it looks like!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
          Welcome to MOL Joe!

Jeeps should be coated with mud every now and again.

My last Jeep was a black 94 YJ Wrangler. Funny how I never had a desire to polish out those long horizontal scratches from wheeling tight brush lined mountain trails. Like they belonged or something.

Oh, yeah!

Comment

premier.mobile: Thanks... Glad to hear there's at least a couple fellow Jeepers around here. Mine hasn't gone anywhere too interesting yet. I pretty much got it so that the missus can fit baby seats in the back and not kill herself in the winter. She's been driving a little roller skate Kia around, and it doesn't do too great in the snow, at least when she's behind the wheel... Funny how I don't have any trouble with it!
            She wants an XJ of her own now, so I'll get to have more fun with mine... Got a couple hundred acres at my disposal a few hours away, and they've got some nice fire roads and trails I can run on. In the meanwhile, I'm gonna lift it, do the body work, and there's a clapped out short block in my garage that's gonna become a stroker this winter. At that point, I should have found her one of her own, and I can go have my own fun.

Comment

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hello and welcome to mol.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Mike: Thanks a lot... You're one of the people I've really been looking forward to bothering. I really admire your patience, and your product and technique knowledge are impressive. If I knew all this stuff and people kept asking me questions, I'd go crazy.

But anyhow, you guys keep distracting me from the job at hand... The computer's a little too close to the truck, so I'm gonna turn the radio up and listen to my rotary buzz for a while, and hope I at least get the cab done tonight. I've finished one fender and half a door since noon... haha

It's going slow, but my dad's quite impressed with how it's turning out so far. Problem is, neither one of us can figure out where the digital camera went, so there may just be afters on this one. My BlackBerry's camera isn't really catching much in the sun... It just looks like the shiny truck that he used to think it was. Talk to ya'll later!

Comment

Well, I finally broke out the camera... Here's a shot of my Jeep in all it's (rusted) glory... Both rockers have holes big enough my ferret could hide in them, and most of the clearcoat's gone off the left front fender. You can't see it so well here, but there's some rather shoddy rust repair over the top of the windshield too. Gonna fix 'er up, and I've got some GM Firered metallic paint to go on, with a black met bottom again. Hopefully by the end of the summer...

And one of the truck (taken about 3 hours before it rained, of course...)

I'm also a bit of an amateur photographer, so if anyone needs advice, or would like to have their vehicle shot and is in or can get to Pittsburgh, feel free to let me know. I've got better shots of the truck in my flickr album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/Joe94XJ

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');