• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Must have Equipment to Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must have Equipment to Start

I was just wondering if someone could give a brief list of equipment you should have on hand if you want to start a detailing business either mobile or fixed. The fixed would be more important at present since that's where I'm leaning but I did mobile in the past but I always used the customer's water source.

other questions mixed in to the general question above -

- purchasing a High Speed Buffer - what should you have no matter what to being using it even for practice.

- Vac - rolling or carrying - which seems to work best

-

Re: Must have Equipment to Start

oh and let me make sure everyone knows that i am talking about power equipment and the accessories that go with each.

Comment

Wet/Dry vac, high speed rotary (Dewalt or Makitia are the favs), hot water carpet extractor, dual action buffer. Then you need an assortment of pads for each.

If your mobile you need water tank(s) and a generator as well.

If your in a fixed location you could consider an air compressor and air powered tools.
      AeroCleanse, LLC
      Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
      www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Can't go wrong with a Makita Rotary Buffer or any other recognized name brands.

I always hard wire a 25 foot extension cord right into my buffer so for most jobs I don't have to mess with an extension cord.

Somewhere on this forum is a thread with a list of suggestions...

Do a search and use Beach Towel for a search term.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Here's the link, it's actually a list of products to have on hand to detail a car with a DA Polisher but it's a great start for a business too...

DA Polisher
          Lots of W-8006 polishing pads
          1-2 W-9006 finishing pads
          1 W-7006 cutting pads and a couple of microfiber bonnets for this pad
          Clay
          M83
          M80
          ColorX or M66
          M09 or M82
          Blue Painter's Tape
          A wax you like, we use NXT on everything
          Glass Cleaner
          Trim Detailer
          Plenty of microfiber polishing cloths
          ScratchX
          Terry cloth towels
          Hand Applicator wax pads
          Terry cloth we can cut into little pieces
          Scissors
          Beach Towel
          Aluminum foil
          2 Mil Drop cloth
          Clean flat, bed sheet for covering things like the engine up if needed
          Toothbrush or other nylon brush for cleaning pads and getting wax out of the cracks
          Tire Dressing
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

A roll around cart for a brick and mortar shop is handy.

Aluminum step like this one for reaching the roofs of tall vehicles. Not a very good picture but they're about 4 feet long.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              Do a search and use Beach Towel for a search term.
              I tried it, searching titles and making an educated guess in terms of which posts not to read.

All I could find was a pebble beach post regarding products, not machines.

However, I think the idea applies here: everybody is different, some might specialize in daily drivers, others in high-end detailing. Maybe add equipment a little at a time. Using the credit card in the least aggressive manner.........

Spent about 20 minutes on this. Not sure. No gold star.
              Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
              by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Originally posted by Jossy92 View Post
                I tried it, searching titles and making an educated guess in terms of which posts not to read.

All I could find was a pebble beach post regarding products, not machines.

However, I think the idea applies here: everybody is different, some might specialize in daily drivers, others in high-end detailing. Maybe add equipment a little at a time. Using the credit card in the least aggressive manner.........

Spent about 20 minutes on this. Not sure. No gold star.
                Lots of cars have either a grill around the wiper arms that you don't want to get splatter into because it's impossible to get to in order to remove, (not that we would ever splatter our product ), and/or pebble textured plastic between the hood and the window glass.

Most beach towels are fairly long and thus long enough to drape over the entire width of the car to cover the wipers, plastic, grill, etc and then carefully fold under the hood.

Always be careful and check that the towel isn't going to bind with the hood hinges or anything else before closing the hood.

This enables you to cover these areas win one fell swoop and move on to the job at hand.

There should be a picture of this on the forum somewhere but not sure how to search for it.

3 minutes! I win!

Comment

Here's the link, it's actually a list of products to have on hand to detail a car with a DA Polisher but it's a great start for a business too...

DA Polisher
                  Clay
                  M83
                  M80
                  ColorX or M66
                  M09 or M82
                  Blue Painter's Tape
                  Glass Cleaner
                  Trim Detailer
                  ScratchX
                  Terry cloth towels
                  Hand Applicator wax pads
                  Scissors
                  Beach Towel
                  Aluminum foil
                  2 Mil Drop cloth
                  Toothbrush or other nylon brush for cleaning pads and getting wax out of the cracks
                  Tire Dressing
                  Ok, I'm curious...Where/what would you use the aluminum foil for? The other things on the list I can see, but not sure how I'd use the aluminum foil...

Comment

aluminium foil? I heard they used them to cover up certain engine parts with them for the washing engine compartment.
                    Anyone else have any opinions?
                    Learning new things everyday

Comment

Originally posted by Sprzout View Post
                      Ok, I'm curious...Where/what would you use the aluminum foil for? The other things on the list I can see, but not sure how I'd use the aluminum foil...
                      Works to cover around windshield wipers if you're not covering them or that area some other way.

for engines, first cover a part you don't want to get wet with plastic, (waterproof), then scrunch foil around the plastic to keep it on. Quick and easy and works pretty well as long as you're not blasting it with a high powered pressure washer. If you're going to use a high powered pressure washer you could fortify with some tape for a bullet-proof covering that's cheap, easy to apply and easy to remove.

Aluminum foil works well for something because you can form it or scrunch it around a component and it will hold it's shape so you don't have to use tape. It's also relatively inexpensive and easy to remove and recycle.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I ordered the Makitia buffer so it should be here monday. I have to get a hood home some how to practice on. Is it possible to use a this equipment to apply and remove wax. I know everyone likes the da for this but i was just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by jmitch8011 View Post

Is it possible to use a this equipment (a rotary buffer) to apply and remove wax.

Depends on what you want? Production detailers use a rotary buffer to apply all kinds of waxes to paint but the results are usually swirls that show up in good lighting or bright sunlight.

If you want a swirl-free finish than you're going to be better off applying wax using a DA polisher or by hand.

Don't use a rotary buffer to remove wax, that's not what the tool is for and you risk causing problems with swirls or burn-throughs.

If you do a good job of prepping the surface and then applying a thin coating of whatever wax you're using, then the wax should wipe off very easily after it fully dries. (At least Meguiar's waxes).

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

i think i'm going to cancel my order and purchase the da because I want to work on some paint correction on my vehicle as well as on customer vehicles with out having to stress about burning the paint. I can put the wax on and take it off with the DA correct? My plan was to practice with the rotory on a hood but to apply wax and sealant with the rotory. I also did not want to use any cutting pads with this machine on my vehicle until I was completely comfortable. Your thoughts are welcomed. I have been reading and watching the videos but I just wanted to see any other thoughts.

Comment

I was reading through the links you gave me and I just had one question.

This thread shows some of the staples for using with any DA Polisher

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

Here's a list of things we would take to a customer's location to buff out the paint...

DA Polisher
                              Clay
                              M83
                              M80
                              ColorX or M66
                              M09 or M82
                              Blue Painter's Tape
                              Glass Cleaner
                              Trim Detailer
                              ScratchX
                              Terry cloth towels
                              Hand Applicator wax pads
                              Scissors
                              Beach Towel
                              Aluminum foil
                              2 Mil Drop cloth
                              Tire Dressing

That's off the top of our head.... should be able to tackle just about anything that doesn't require a rotary buffer but we also take one of those.
                              When you say Lots of W-8006 polishing pads, can you give a ball park figure to someone who is just learning to use a DA and will be using this on vehicles of customers as well? Also, with me just starting out, there are several post about the DA being save for beginners but does that include on customer's vehicles as well? I'm a very carefull person but as I has seen on the forum and from my own life, mistakes do happen. I might be doing my sister's boss's vehicle which is an 08 Benz. I don't think she would kill me per say but then again I don't want to find out.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');