• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My rotary purchase experience... what's next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My rotary purchase experience... what's next?

Just bought the Makita Rotary. I think it is a nice product. The tool store that I was at had about every type of rotary on the market. Obviously, I spent some time just getting the feel of each one.

The Makita had nice balance. I felt the Hitachi was pretty equal to the Makita, but I trust Makita more for power tools however. DeWalt is my preferred tool brand, but the DeWalt was a little heavy, and the RPM selector I felt was not as precise as the Makita. The Milwaukee... well lets just say I don't have the Popeye arms to work with that heavy beast.

Anyway, now I have 3 questions:

1) So with #9, 80, and 83 in my arsenal already, what should I add?
    2) Also, what other special tools do I need for the rotary?
    3) What size pads do I use? Can I use the same size as those for my DA?

I have one show car, and am starting to detail other cars here and there (so somewhere between production work and showcar work).

Re: My rotary purchase experience... what's next?

You need a pad cleaning tool for wool pads (spur). You need the velcro backing plate, which Meg's makes one. I use the same size pads.
    AeroCleanse, LLC
    Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
    www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Welcome to the club!

I would add a newer style compound (M105 or Solo) and a traditional style compound (M84 or M85) to your arsenal. Someday, there will be a detail where a compound is needed. Once you try them, you can kinda play around with which one best fits your style.

Pad spurs are a must when using wool pads. Also, you may look at getting a pad brush for the foam pads.

Sure, the 6.5in pads work just fine on the rotary. Others also use the 8in pads. It's probably a good idea to invest in some wool pads for use with the compounds (the Solo ones are really nice).
      Chris
      Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

New Meg's backing plate for the rotary is simply awesome, so I would highly suggest that. I bought the plastic Duospur cleaning tool from autodetailingsolutions.com and it works great for wool and foam pads... I would also suggest getting a brush for cleaning foam pads, either the Edge brush or one like it. I never use pads larger than 6.5" on the rotary... I use both Meguiar's and Lake Country pads as I find them to have different cut levels (for example one Meg's pad will be between the cut level of two LC pads and so on, so I benefit by using both)

As for as polishes go, I would definitely add a couple more aggressive polishes, such as m105 or m95 (I hear 95 is easier to work with but never tried it myself.. placed an order yesterday for some though ).. I have replaced #9 with #82 personally because I find it had less fillers and let's me see what I'm doing easier, but fillers aren't a bad thing if you're doing a good job.

Most importantly, you need to practice, practice, practice... when you learn how to properly use it and use it well, you'll fall in love with using the rotary.
        Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
        Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');