• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neglected paint...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neglected paint...

Unfortunately I am not a car guy...actually I find it rather painful to wash and wax...and because I don't do it enough to keep up with the times I need some help...

One of the cars is an '07 Honda civic...I actually got out tonight and clayed the trunk and waxed it so I can install my new bike rack...this one is a no brainer as it needs to be done ASAP...and after my wife felt the buttery smooth trunk "told" me it would be done...so there you have it...

The other is an '03 Liberty Renegade that definately gets treated like that Subaru on the commercial (wash me...wash me now!!)...so question is since it has been so neglected would I be better off to have it buffed out by a professional or should I just clean the hell out of it...clay bar it...wax it and go on...

as for wax...the clay bar kit came with cleaner wax and I have two additional bottles of cleaner wax...should I do the cleaner wax or a carnuba wax...or both...or two coats of cleaner wax...are cleaner and carnuba waxes compatible...

Is the micro fiber that came with the clay bar acceptable for removing the wax after it "hazes" or do I need to use something else...

Thanks for the help guys (and gals)...

Re: Neglected paint...

I think first you need ti buy Bug & Tar remover.
    Clean your car panels with these and buff with Microfiber. Then clay.
    You just need one aplication with cleaner wax, if you do 2 coats of cleaner wax, the first coat of cleaner wax will removed, because cleaner wax contains cleaner-polish-wax. All you need is 1 coat and you can apply another Wax such as Gold Class or NXT or UQD.
    The Microfiber that includes in the Kit is to buff the haze from cleaner wax, but i think you will need another MF, just in case the first one is dirty
    Hope these sharing would help.

Comment

Welcome to MOL!

I've been feeling like that with my Liberty too lately. Just not enough time in the day to keep it clean.

As far as a professional or DIY, that's up to you. If you have the time and enjoy doing it go for it, if you are dreading it then have it done.

The cleaner wax would be a good product to use. You will get the cleaning effect as well as some protecting. Do at least one coat of that. After if you still feel like doing more try a small test area with your other wax and see if you can notice a difference. No reason doing the whole thing if 'you' can't tell.

The microfiber that came with the kit will work perfect for removing the wax after a haze.
      Scott

Comment

You'll probably want a few extra towels so that you dont have to stop and wash it in the middle of detailing.

Other than that, a good washing, then clay and cleaner/wax would be a fine process for you to use.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Your process sounds good. I also think you will need a couple more micro's to get the job done. Keep us posted on your results. Good Luck. Welcome to mol.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

There is no point to apply 2 coats of Cleaner Wax. The 2nd coat will remove some of the wax of the 1st coat.

You will be better off to use a pure wax (lie Carnauba wax or NXT....) for the 2nd coat.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');