• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to mix your car wash solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to mix your car wash solution

At our wal-mart, they have plastic measuring cups. I believe they were $0.89. It is clearly marked out in ounces. I just go over the 4 ounce line and it is a good ratio.
    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Good topic and info.

I useally put one ounce of product in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket then fill with water and I get one gallon of water with suds up to the top.

I have tried putting in 3 gallons of water then add 3 ounces of car wash and swirl around but got no suds and resulting wash was not as good.

Next time will try adding 3 gallons of water then 3 ounces of wash then blast it with sprayer to activate more suds to see if it works better

> I could see where the extra water would provide better lubrication and cleaning.

Comment

I found some buckets at Home Depot that have the measurements on the side, so I can easily see how much water I have. I also picked up a cheap measuring cup at WalMart. I tried using the Dixie cup method, but this is easier, for me. The HD buckets also fit the GritGuard, but unlike the standard white buckets, the guard falls out when I rinse the bucket out.

Comment

I like the suds/foam to cling, so I know my soap, and thus lubrication, isn't all running off.

But other than that, lots of suds don't serve a major purpose. The agitation from the mitt is going to do a lot more than the little foaming action to remove dirt.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

that's a great tip!
            2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

Simple and accurate i love it!
              2003 Red F150 Supercrew.
              5% Tint front, 1% Tint rear.
              40 series flowmasters
              20'' Mega Rims on Toyo proxy tires.

Comment

Just found this thread, didn't ever expect so many comments about putting soap into water!

Anyhow, I'm a glugger myself. I put about 1.5 glugs of Gold Class wash into my bucket and then fill with warm water.

For the precise types, a shot glass is 1oz exactly. Easy enough. I also use a shot glass when cooking, it comes in very handy. There are some at Bed, Bath and Beyond that have different cooking measurements marked on side. Highly recommend this item, your wives might even think you were thinking of them when you bought it!
                NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Iam4st8 View Post
                  Simple and accurate i love it!
                  And that was the goal...

Simple
                  Accurate

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Simple!

My wife buys me those cheapo plastic measuring cups for less than a buck at Walmart and I keep a couple around in case I break one, she don't want me using her glass ones, don't know why........
                    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I've had this around the garage for a while and finaly found a use for it!
                      (the shot glass not the soap!)

Comment

I don't know how long they've been doing this, but on the back of their Deep Crystal car wash solutions, Meguiars makes it known that four capfuls equals 1 oz. Since it's 1 oz. per gallon, I just measure 20 capfuls into a dixie cup, mark the point and have it added to 5 gallons of water. If I can't find the cup, I just measure out 20 capfuls into the 5 gallons of water.

Comment

Their system relies on the Guesstimation Technique.
                          Guilty as charged

Golly this site has so much great info. I'm learning so much new stuff.

Mike, this is why I use your companies products, because you guys care about the car enthusiast.

I love those bucket you have too. I use the 2 bucket method already but mine don't have grit guards.

Comment

I saw the video of Mike detailing the Mini Cooper before I knew all about Meguiar's and didn't realize he was one of the Meguiar's guys. Unfortunately for Meguiar's he is now working at Auto Geek if I remember correctly, but he luckily still has an account on here and comes around.

I measured 4 gallons of water into the buckets from Grit Guard (right below that piece where the wire handles connect to the bucket) and use 4 ounces of solution.

That video is what got me interested in properly detailing my truck.

Comment

I use a similar method, but I cut the top off a clear plastic soda bottle, Easier to see the marks I made.
                              VTEC: all the lag, none of the turbo

Comment

Let's not forget the marked dose cups that come with medicine bottles. I like the ones on top of Pepto-Bismal. I take a black marker and mark off the 1oz. line.

The other ideas sounded great too.
                                r. b.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');