• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air Compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Compressor

Is there a certain size mortor that you should never go below when purchasing an air compressor. I wanted to know because Target had a black & decker compressor regularly $99 for $49 plus 30% off. I didn't buy it because I needed to make sure it would hold up. I checked lowes and they have them for $140 or so but I think the motors are bigger. They had 3 or 4 yesterday so I want to pick one up today pending the responses given here. Oh and I will be mainly using it for blowing water out of unreachable places on vehicles as well as possible using an impac wrench for changing my tires or operating some new air tool I may decide to buy in the future.

Re: Air Compressor

Small motors will wear out faster because they have to work harder. If it's just to blow air out of hard to reach places, small would be fine. However, if you plan to use air tools, you need to look at the tools you'll be using and make note of the volume of air they use (CFM) along with the recommended pressure (PSI) and make sure the compressor can keep up. A large tank is a big plus with air tools, they use a lot of air.

You will also want to get an 'oil bath' as opposed to an 'oil free' compressor for use with air tools (particularly sanders and buffers that demand continuous air). The oil bath will run cooler and last longer.

If you are looking for a cheap oil bath, check sales papers for your local auto parts stores. Most carry a small 5 gallon, oil bath compressor that is regularly $150 and go on sale often at $99. I've used these for years framing and siding houses, running 2-4 nail guns all day. In that brutal environment they last 2 or 3 years. In your application, it should last a lot longer (10 years+).

HTH

Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Thanks alot!

Comment

What compressor is recommended for use with Tornador black. Tornador says 20gallon 2.5 HP 5.5 cfm @ 80psi. I see a lot of people claim they use a much smaller tank 3-5 gallon 1.5-2 hp. Also to use with air tools headlight restoration and blowing out trim and engine baus

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');