• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mag Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mag Wheels

My dad said at one point they were shiny, but not since I was born. What do I do to make them shiny again? What do I use? They're American Racing mag wheels from the '70s/'80s. I'll see if I have a picture.

Re: Mag Wheels

Picture would be very helpful...
    Mike Pennington
    Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
    Meguiar's, Inc.
    800-854-8073
    mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Sorry, not really high res, but this is the general condition.

Comment

From the looks of this picture, the centers are cast and the lips are machined ? This means the center of the wheels have a rough texture and the lips are fairly smooth ??

Please confirm.
        Mike Pennington
        Meguiar's, Inc.
        800-854-8073
        mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pennington View Post
          From the looks of this picture, the centers are cast and the lips are machined ? This means the center of the wheels have a rough texture and the lips are fairly smooth ??

Please confirm.
          Yes, that's correct. Spokes are non-polishable textured surface, but the outer lips are all smooth. I guess I should have clarified that. There's no piting that I can tell, just some discoloration according to dad.

Comment

see if a magnet sticks to them... probably won't .. then it is likely aluminum. and a metal polish would be my way to go....

but i have done some aluminum polishing in the paste on engine parts, I used a buffing wheel on my hammer drill ( you need a lot of torque ) , and a fine metal polishing compound brick i got from a rock polishing hobby store ( 10 years ago ).

Anyways, i also did a set of mags from my 1980 280zx, bare metal aluminum i polished to a miror finish.

so, yes, you can do it, but it depends what you are working with. bare metal, coated, painted ?

Comment

The Hot Rims Mag & Aluminum Polish would be our 1st choice for the lips.... Please keep in mind, as bad as those are, it may take a few applications and some Passion. On the 1st pass, you may try cotton terry cloth towels, then re-polish using microfiber as the applicator and a seperate microfiber for removal.

Do a test spot 1st, to see what your up against, and to determine the best process.

Also, since they are only machined, you will not get the "pop" of a true polished aluminum....if you want that, it may be easier to have them profesisonally polished by specialized machines and abrasives.

Mike
              Mike Pennington
              Meguiar's, Inc.
              800-854-8073
              mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I just got to use the Hot Rims Mag and Aluminum Polish for the first time the other day, and WOW. This product is amazing. When I placed my order, I kinda questioned if I was just throwing my $7 away and if I would ever use this, since then I use this stuff all the time..... Just kinda throwing that out there.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');