• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear coat peeling on my Honda Civic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear coat peeling on my Honda Civic

I have a huge problem with clear coat peeling on my 1997 Honda Civic. The entire roof is coming off over this summer. I have limited tools here. I was wondering, what , if anything, I could do myself to stop the peeling and/or improve the appearance.

Not a heck of alot of experience with cars here, so, take that into account please

Re: Clear coat peeling on my Honda Civic

Clear coat failure is clear coat failure...only option is a wet-sand and repaint.

You may be able to buff it down and make it less noticeable, and be sure to keep it regularly protected with a wax or sealant, but you are fighting a losing battle.

Pics would help, though, just in case it happens to be oxidation instead...

Comment

The best and only thing to do here is to take it to a paint shop and let them re paint it, that's the only road you can take with clear coat failure.

I wish there were another way but sadly there isn't

Comment

I see a lot of Hondas around here with clear coat failure...more than any other make.
        Except for those Dodge Caravans, they seem to be prone also.
        Heatgain (Gary)
        The Irate Magistrate
        Neutral & Detached

Comment

I would have to concur. I also have a 1995 Honda Accord with similiar clear coat issues. If you are limited on funds, then you can wet sand it, paint it (rattle can) and re wet sand it.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the suggestions. And not to be a total pain in the neck. But , if I decided to go the paint route, and took it to a regular body shop or Honda repair shop, can someone give me a range of estimates for a paint job on my roof? Just so I know that they're not trying to screw me over?

Comment

It really depends on the prep work involved. If you do so of the prep work yourself , you will save some money. But I have seen Maaco deals for as low as $300 for an entire car, so a specific panel (like a roof) should be less.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the info. I'm going to check into it this week.

Comment

Typically most paint shops are less than interested in customer prep.

It sounds like you have limited capability to prep DA sand, block sand or strip paint.

Any scratches and ragged paint edges you produce will be yours to keep.

Also the primer you apply can affect the top coat bonding, color and paint reducers may cause it to lift.

The best thing I recommend is a good washing with Meguiars Gold (no polishes or waxing), dyi removal of specific trim, fender rubber and parts that make painting easier with less masking.

Of course you would be the one to put it all back together, but that's the icing on the project. Ask them when you can wax out though.

Good luck...
                  Last edited by retrofinisher; Jul 21, 2008, 08:56 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I think I know what your asking. (not that I have ESP)
                    If anything WAX, WAX, WAX.
                    You can sand it down, then rub it out and wax it up. That would be enough to stop it from spreading FOR A WHILE.
                    The complete solution is to repaint. IMO, you get what you pay for. $4,000.00 will get you a nice paint job. If you can't afford a whole paint job, just get it repainted for the cheapest price. Then at least you original problem is solved.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');