• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the condition of this paint still have hope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the condition of this paint still have hope?

Hey everyone! Here are pictures as promised. Sorry it took so long.. Here's a car I'm going to detail this weekend and how do you guys think I should attack this? I hope that Mike Phillips and Hot Spot would chime in..

Sorry I couldn't get the swirl shots or the cob-web effect in the pictures.. Do you guys also know if it's single stage paint, if the paint is hard, etc.. TIA
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Re: Does the condition of this paint still have hope?

Originally posted by Bri

Sorry I couldn't get the swirl shots or the cob-web effect in the pictures.. Do you guys also know if it's single stage paint, if the paint is hard, etc.. TIA
    Hi Bri,

This looks pretty bad. After washing and claying this finish, I would start with #83 with the W-8006 foam polishing pad on the PC at the 5.0 setting, working a small section at a time with a slow arm speed. (Hopefully, these spots deposits sitting on top of the surface and not etchings that are below the surface).

Work one section, about two feet square or smaller until you almost go to a dry buff, but not to a dry buff, and then wipe off and inspect. It may take a couple of applications to remove these any etchings in the finish and restore a high gloss finish.

Understand, some times you cannot completely remove a defect, but instead can only improve the defect to the point that it is a lot less noticeable. Keep this in mind. You are limited to what you can do by the film-build, or paint thickness of the clear coat. (Assuming this car has a clear coat). To check for a clear coat, rub some paint cleaner onto the finish in an inconspicuous place and look to see if you pull color.

After looking at these photos, I have to wonder if repairing the damage will be of any use? If the owner just goes back to the way he took care of this car in the past, the defects will just re-appear again. Sometimes, before you evaluate the finish, you need to first evaluate the customer. There are some customers you don't want to work for.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I totally agree with Mike about the car AND the owner....and WHAT'S UP with the hood and the gaps between the panels!?!?! I don't know if I'd want to detail a car for a guy who ALLOWS a Porsche to get to this level of deterioration

Don
      12/27/2015
      "Darth Camaro"
      2013 Camaro ... triple black
      323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Hey Guys!!! Thanks so much for replying.. Don, I didn't close the hood as I was letting the engine cool down a bit faster.. Hehehe! Well, this is a person who cares about his health more than his car.. He once told me that you can replace a car and have a brand new paint job but you can't replace your hands / health. (I kept on washing during winter and I said that my hands really hurt from the low temperatures)

I will try this combination.. #83, #82, #81 and NXT x 2. So, will # 82 be applied the same as #83? Slow arm speed, let the product be worked in and multiple passes?

Thanks again!

Comment

The #82 should be worked into the paint similarly to the DACP (4-6) on the buffer, and slow arm speed. While you're buffing, try to look past the haze of the polish to the actual paint surface, with practice, you'll be able to see how far you've gone and how much more you need to do.
          Don
          12/27/2015
          "Darth Camaro"

Comment

I already went ahead and washed the car with NXT car wash, clayed the whole car.. I've only finished #83 on the hood as it was hard to remove.. What's up with that? Am I doing anything wrong? It's a tedious job for #83 and I still have to do #82.. Hahaha! Question guys, what do you do about weird-surfaced panels? Or even panels with little flat area? I did the top of the wheel arch and the product just splattered all over the place.. Apparently, the edges of the W8006 wasn't touching the surface.. What's your advice for it?

Comment

Try using less product...that should help with both sling and making removal easier. You can try tilting the PC a bit for those weird edges.
              Don
              12/27/2015
              "Darth Camaro"

Comment

Man that looks nasty. Did the 83 on the DA even cut the water spots down? If 83 doesn't make them go away there's really not much sense going any further. I've delt with our wounderful Arizona water before, it's not uncommon to have to resort to the rotary to cut them enough.
                Later,
                Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
                Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

Hey Guys!!! I just finished detailing the Porsche.. It was a looong detail.. Lol! It took me around 8 hours total and I still have to apply the 2nd coat of NXT first thing tomorrow morning. I will post pictures later when I freshen up. Here are the steps I used.

NXT Car wash
                  Clay
                  NXT

I am pleased with the results considering it's just my 2nd time doing it.. I just hate doing the #83 because it's hard to work with... There's also some minor scratches left and I think only rotaries would be able to remove it. It's really shiny now although I'm quite biased.. Hahaha! I'll let you guys judge later. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Can't wait to see the photos.... I don't think I have seen that many water spots on a single car before! Sure looked like a lot of work. Glad you got it to look good!
                    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Here are the results on another thread...

Click Here!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');