• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F-150 Engine Detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-150 Engine Detail

Sorry, but this is not a "look at my detail" thread, rather a potential problem I may have created.

I did my typical "lazy guy" detail and I'm a bit concerned with the results. Let me preface this by saying I've done this on 4 other cars without problems, until last night. Here is my process:

1. Rinse engine with light stream of water (shower setting on hose attachment).

2. Spray a very diluted 10:1 over entire engine compartment (nothing covered).

3. Agitate only "heavy areas" (mostly caps and plastics).

4. Rinse with shower setting.

5. Apply Meg's Hyper Dressing (liberally) over plastics and hoses but I spray it without concern over where it is landing. Let it sit for 15-30 minutes.

6. Wipe up excess and I'm finished.

This method has worked like a charm until I did a 2002 Ford F-150 (V8 Triton). Everything seemed fine until I took it to the corner store (about 3 minutes in each direction).

When I got back, I noticed smoke coming from the engine compartment. Not a tone of smoke (but it was only a three minute drive). My *guess* is that that some of the HD got on a portion of the engine which gets hot and is "burning off".

Agree or disagree?

If you agree, do I run the risk of starting a fire or will it likely just burn off and that will be the end of it?
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Re: F-150 Engine Detail

I would agree. I think it's probably just some hyper dressing burning off. The short trip was probably good to burn it off without getting too hot. Can you see anything under the hood that looks burned or where the smoke is coming from? Maybe start it up with the hood open and watch. Have a fire extinguisher handy.
    Scott

Comment

Yeah, I watched it and I couldn't see anything that looked like it was burning but I didn't get a chance to retry it this morning.

Comment

It sounds like the hyper dressing was burnt off. Like you said in #5. " No concern were it is landing."
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

PM replied. Let me know if that is the case.

Now you just need pictures!

Comment

Tyler,

Thanks for you help... everyone else as well.

I should have taken some before and after shots of this one, because it was pretty bad and NOW looks amazing, but I was so worried I messed it up, photo's were and after thought.

Comment

Just a quick update...

Engine is 100% fine. No issues, no further smoking. I guess it was probably excess HD just burning off.

Thanks again guys.

Comment

Glad to hear there was no problems. Still waiting on after pics

Comment

So is hyper dressing a spray on and wipe but with no concern. I was just wondering because I use #40 and it works great but I try to keep it off the paint and it's not easy. I have to invest in some paint brushes for the hard to reach places. Anyone have other ideas of how they dress the engin once it's clean and dry as possible? Not trying to hijack thread.

Comment

I finally got around to taking some pictures of this engine detail. Here are some things to keep in mind.

1. This is a 2002 F-150 with about 80,000 miles.

2. The Engine has NEVER been detailed. It is my father-in-law's truck and he is pretty handy so he does a lot of the oil changes himself and he is not too neat.

3. There are NO before shots, but you'll have to take me at my word when I say it was pretty bad inside (not like some wrecks I've seen here, but pretty bad).

4. As you know, I ONLY do the "lazy man's engine detail". Total time on this was about 20 minutes.

5. It is FAR from perfect and more like good from far, but really far from good.

Here they are:

Comment

Looks good, especially for a lazy man lol

Comment

Looks great

Also, probably some landed on your exhaust manifolds, or some ran down your exhaust, some landed on the intake(it can get hot) and just burned off.

Keep it up
                        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Looks good for a lazyman detail! Can't wait to do my dad's, as odd as that sounds. Been on that dirt road for about 6 years, truck has almost 135,000 miles and has never been touched except to change oil, air filter, or plugs.

Again though, great work and glad nothing bad happened!

Comment

looks very clean using the lazy man method, wish i can do that also

Comment

I have to say..for this "Lazy Man's 20 engine detail", it looks great. Excuse my ignorance:

But where do you do this engine detail? in a quick wash bay, driveway, lawn
                              Thanks-Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');