• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiar's Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner, or Gold Class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiar's Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner, or Gold Class?

I just finished my bottle of Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner for All Wheels, and I liked the stuff.

However, I see they also have Gold Class All Wheel Cleaner. You get more ounces in that one, so is it not quite as good maybe?

Recommendation between the two?

Re: Meguiar's Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner, or Gold Class?

I don't think they are the same formulas and it's been a while since dealing with questions of differences...

If you like the Hot Rims, you might be best just to stick with it because it's a great product, a great price and easy to find.

The Gold Class All Wheel Cleaner is going to be a lot harder to find, it may be discontinued.

I'll check....

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

***Update***

Been told that GCAWC is a Target only product, not discontinued but only available at Target.

Also, confirmed that Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner is stronger than the Gold Class All Wheel Cleaner. The Gold Class All Wheel Cleaner is closer to our M36 Hi Tech Wheel Cleaner or our new Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel Wash. That's saying it's quite a bit safer and thus not near as strong.

Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner should NOT be used on polished aluminum, anodized aluminum wheel or uncoated magnesium wheels.

Make sure you know what the wheel is made out of or the coating that's on it before choosing a wheel cleaner, when in doubt contact our Customer Care Hotline at 1-800-347-5700

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Wow. Thanks.

The Hot Wheels All Wheel cleaner said safe for all wheels. Do you think I damaged my wheels then?

It's on a 2008 C-Class. Alloy wheels, not sure the coating. They almost look plastic-like, so I guess there is some kind of coating.

Comment

Originally posted by mb911 View Post
          Wow. Thanks.

The Hot Wheels All Wheel cleaner said safe for all wheels. Do you think I damaged my wheels then?

It's on a 2008 C-Class. Alloy wheels, not sure the coating. They almost look plastic-like, so I guess there is some kind of coating.
          Please read the label and it will explain in detail what it's safe for and what it's not safe for. The name of the product is a little mis-leading and we're addressing this internally.

As long as your car has the factory wheels then it should be safe. Maybe join a Mercedes-Benz forum and ask someone over there EXACTLY what kind of wheels you have, coated or not coated.

You need to match the right wheel cleaner to the surface you're working on, I personally cannot be an expert on all wheels and their coatings, too much information to try to get a handle on, that's why it's important for each car owner to know what they are working on before spraying on a wheel cleaner.

Also, as our very own Tom MacDonald preaches...

"Only work on one wheel at a time"

That way if "you" make a mistake, at least you only ruin one wheel.

Make sense?

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

"Only work on one wheel at a time"

That way if "you" make a mistake, at least you only ruin one wheel.

Make sense?

Yes, very smart Sir.

I've absolutely drowned all my wheels (one at a time) about 3 times in the past until the entire bottle was gone. At this point, I wonder if I can assume it is safe on my wheels?

Comment

Yes, very smart Sir.

I've absolutely drowned all my wheels (one at a time) about 3 times in the past until the entire bottle was gone. At this point, I wonder if I can assume it is safe on my wheels?
              If it hasn't hurt them so far then it's pretty safe to assume it's okay for your wheels. I'll send the link to this thread to our in-house wheel expert Tom MacDonald and maybe he'll chime in...

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Yes, very smart Sir.

You could be using a little much though at any rate.... I use the Multi-Piece/Aluminum Wheel Cleaner, and use about 7-8 trigger pulls per wheel. Not sure if they are even full trigger pulls really.

But a little product and a little agitation is all it really takes. Dont need to overuse a safe product either.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                  You could be using a little much though at any rate.... I use the Multi-Piece/Aluminum Wheel Cleaner, and use about 7-8 trigger pulls per wheel. Not sure if they are even full trigger pulls really.

But a little product and a little agitation is all it really takes. Dont need to overuse a safe product either.
                  Thanks, it's just I spray and rinse, and it really turns out nice, then I dry, and it looks gorgeous.

If I wanted to scrub a bit, I'm sure I could save product as you suggest. Maybe I should.

Comment

Sorry guys, new question:

I'm wondering could the wheel cleaners hurt the appearance of parts behind the wheel? What I would call the hub I guess on my Mercedes, they look rather spotted and whatnot and not what i would call dirt or brake dust. Spotted, funny looking. Today I looked at another one, approximately same age, and the hubs as I peaked through the wheel, had a more consistent look.

Is that another thing to look out for with wheel cleaners, what they potentially do to the hub, brake parts, suspension, etc. from an appearance point of view, or is what I'm seeing probably not due to the wheel cleaners anyway?

Comment

Sorry guys, new question:

I'm wondering could the wheel cleaners hurt the appearance of parts behind the wheel?
                      Yes. The fancier the wheel compartment gets the more you have to pay attention and be more careful with your choice of products.

One option is our new Hot RimsĀ® Aluminum Wheel Cleaner

This product is safe on anything in the wheel compartment area as well as all types of wheel.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                        This product is safe on anything in the wheel compartment area as well as all types of wheel.
                        Great info Mike! I did not know that. I was standing in the store the other day looking at all the different wheel cleaners trying to figure out what one to buy. If I remember right Hot Rims Aluminum was on clearance too.

I always have a hard time with wheels, knowing what they are made of. Because of that 95% of the time I just do my best with soap and water. It's good to know I can use this on anything and not worry.
                        Scott

Comment

What about if I think I have damaged the hub or something? Anything you guys think I might could use, once I take the wheels off, to scrub the area and try to get a consistent look again?

Comment

Define damaged.....
                            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                              Define damaged.....
                              I don't know. The hub's appearance is hard to describe. I guess it's aluminum? I don't know. It's that light color almost like cement, but it's not necessarily a fancy finish on it. It's just normally from what I can tell probably consistent color (cement color).

Now they have spots on them that look funny, some a bit brownish and stuff. Almost like if you had some old 1900 cup or something, and it got tarnished. I don't know. ha-ha.

I guess I could try some metal polishes or something on it. It's not actually suppose to be a pretty part, but it's just opposite of pretty, when it has these funny colorings and whatnot.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');