• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M105 by hand vs 2500 grit wetsanding marks

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: M105 by hand vs 2500 grit wetsanding marks

Nice results. I might have to pick up some now. Did you notice any marring in the sun?

Comment

Originally posted by kty10 View Post
      Did you notice any marring in the sun?
      I was hoping to take a sun photo today while I was home for the lunch hour. I got side tracked by a hornets nest. Hopefully the sun will still be out when I get home tonight, I'll take a picture. I didn't notice any marring at all in person with the Brinkman.
      Scott

Comment

M105 by hand is a straight God send.

I detailed a white RSX yesterday and was unable to reach INTO the handle buckets to get the DEEP and MANY scratches from the owner's nails and rings. I literally put M105 on my FINGER and rubbed it around inside and it got them 100% out. I even did a wipe down...lol crazy!

I also did the entire car with M105 on a CCS white pad on my FLEX and it came out amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
          I was hoping to take a sun photo today while I was home for the lunch hour. I got side tracked by a hornets nest. Hopefully the sun will still be out when I get home tonight, I'll take a picture. I didn't notice any marring at all in person with the Brinkman.
          Hope they did not sting you. That would be nasty.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Nice! Thanks for sharing Scott! I may have to share this with some other peeps who were looking for a more aggresive solution than ScratchX by hand.
            Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

M105 by hand is astounding, as the OP clearly proved. I use it by hand on faded windshield trim pieces and on the paint where I can't fit the DA or rotary. It's simply amazing technology.

It doesn't take that much effort to use by hand...it's just that good.

If you like M105 you'll LOVE D151 - same technology with less cut and leaves a waxed finish. By far the best single stepper I've tried.

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                Hope they did not sting you. That would be nasty.
                lol, nope they didn't get me. Looks like they just started moving in but I'm going to kick them out before they get too settled.
                Scott

Comment

I took a full sun shot today...

Looks like there are a few fine lines near the bottom. They fade from there to the untouched area so I'm guessing it's my method of application not working the edges as much as the center areas. I bet if I would have taped those edges too it would be perfect.

Here's the panel I was working on.

So then I thought I might as well push past the limits of M105 just for fun. I went in the sandpaper cabinet and found some 600 grit. I know I know, no way. I still just wanted to see what it would do.

The 600 grit sanding marks below the previous test area.

Here's it is after one application. Remember this is all by hand. It looks a little better.

After the second application. Still looks pretty nasty but a whole lot better. Who the heck finishes with 600 grit anyway. I was just messing around but was still impressed.

Here's another angle after two applications.

Scott

Comment

Well I just wet sanded half of my hood and I defiantly like the sanded half over the other that I used just M105 on. It's much deeper in color and smooooooooth. Very freaken nice!
                    I started off with 1000, then 2000, then 3000 then about 4 passes with 105 and a wool pad on a rotary, then applied/removed NTX with a final finish pad on the rotary.
                    This was very easy! It's just scarry sanding your paint.

Comment

Wow guys that is impressive. Looks better.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Impressive!!
                        The only reason some people get lost in thought... is because it is unfamiliar territory for them.
                        --VoicesInMyHead--
                        0101011101100101001000000100000101110010011001010010000001000111011001010110010101101011

Comment

Well, I'll document my project this weekend (assuming I actually start it). I'm going to try and wet sand the hood of a black VW Scirocco, bad orange peel.

Scott,
                          If you are around this weekend, maybe we can GTG and do some testing. A friend of mine has a silver Porsche 928 that is due for a re-spray I've been practicing on.

So far I've been using an 8" red foam cutting pad with 105 with good results.

Comment

Originally posted by hacker-pschorr View Post
                            Well, I'll document my project this weekend (assuming I actually start it). I'm going to try and wet sand the hood of a black VW Scirocco, bad orange peel.

Scott,
                            If you are around this weekend, maybe we can GTG and do some testing. A friend of mine has a silver Porsche 928 that is due for a re-spray I've been practicing on.

So far I've been using an 8" red foam cutting pad with 105 with good results.
                            Sure, sounds good! I just got my gallon of D151 and one Softbuff 2.0 pad today too. Just shoot me a PM or email and let me know when you are thinking.
                            Scott

Comment

So.... Does these mean that wet sanding is now not barred from those with out a rotary? If so, I'm stoaked!

How do these products all rate with a DA?

151, 105, 83

I'd love to be able to be able to add some paint to scratches, sand it down, then follow it up with something before moving on to the 83/80 combo.

Comment

I still think it's too early to tell, at least for me. I've only used M105 by hand on a few different cars. That paint could have just been really soft and workable. I guess it's going to all depend on how hard the clear is. I wouldn't try it until you tested a small spot first.

The M105 seemed to work pretty good for me on a DA. I did have some problems with it gumming up but it might have been the heat. I'm also not a pro so it could have been user error too. I just got my D151 today and will be trying it out this weekend. Not sure if I'll have time to do a little test or not, I'll try.
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');