• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M105 by hand vs 2500 grit wetsanding marks

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: M105 by hand vs 2500 grit wetsanding marks

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Thanks!

I was typing out this instead of searching...

Happy to help!
    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket_Aces View Post
      Is that by hand or rotary? I still don't understand why if it works by hand why it wouldn't work with a DA
      Here you go... check out my comments and also Mike Pennington's comments on the first page of this thread.

Why not M105 with a DA Polisher?

Many people use M105 with a DA Polisher including myself even though it's not an official Meguiar's recommended procedure. Just do a test spot first and make sure it's working for you for what you want to accomplish and if you have problems post them to the forum and we'll try to help you but remember there were no guarantees to your satisfaction using the product this way.

Make sense?

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
        I just picked up some 4" LC white pads and played with those a bit. It worked good for a while but then started to gum up. I'm pretty sure that I was using way too much product.
        How much M105 would you recommend using, a few drops? I'm gonna work on a friend's very neglected daily driver this weekend and was considering using either M151 or M105, depending on how the test spots come out.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          Here you go... check out my comments and also Mike Pennington's comments on the first page of this thread.

Why not M105 with a DA Polisher?

Many people use M105 with a DA Polisher including myself even though it's not an official Meguiar's recommended procedure. Just do a test spot first and make sure it's working for you for what you want to accomplish and if you have problems post them to the forum and we'll try to help you but remember there were no guarantees to your satisfaction using the product this way.

Make sense?

Great answer. To be honest I have used M105 a few times on the D/A, it works and does a great job, but I think that the place where it truely shines is on the rotary! I am still shocked at how M105 can easily take out 2500 grit sanding marks AND finish on the softest of paints with a finishing pad on the DA. I can honestly say that this is one of the best products I have ever used. Few other compounds can finish paint down to the same level, even if they are far less aggressive than M105 To Meguiar's!!!
          Patrick Yu
          2003 Honda Accord
          2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

I guess the question now would be has anyone had issues with M105 and DAs to report?

Comment

Originally posted by kty10 View Post
              How much M105 would you recommend using, a few drops? I'm gonna work on a friend's very neglected daily driver this weekend and was considering using either M151 or M105, depending on how the test spots come out.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
              The first time it will take a bit more to get the pad primed. After that I would try maybe 2-3 pea sized drops. Maybe someone else can chime in with more experience. I've only tried it 2-3 times with a DA. If you try it, post back and let us know what you did and how it worked for you.

Good luck!
              Scott

Comment

So if I understand correctly, any hazing that may occur with M105 and a DA can be corrected later with using the DA and a finishing product right? The reason why I am leaning towards the DA is I am trying to fix a rock chip and don't want to use a rotary that might pull the touch up out. I would rather use the DA over hand since it will probably make a more uniform finish.

Comment

If your doing a rock chip give it a try by hand. My first post in this thread was by hand with only one pass. M105 works amazing by hand.

Correct if you end up with hazing you will need to follow up with a finer polish.
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
                    If your doing a rock chip give it a try by hand. My first post in this thread was by hand with only one pass. M105 works amazing by hand.

Correct if you end up with hazing you will need to follow up with a finer polish.
                    I agree. Go at that by hand and M105 first.

Comment

Thanks guys. I will give it a go by hand with the M105 then and maybe follow up with the DA and some light polish. I should be able to apply this stuff with an foam applicator from Autozone right?

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket_Aces View Post
                        Thanks guys. I will give it a go by hand with the M105 then and maybe follow up with the DA and some light polish. I should be able to apply this stuff with an foam applicator from Autozone right?
                        Yes or microfiber applicator pads.

You can use terry cloth for a more abrasive bite but when you rub hard with terry cloth this can put toweling marks into the paint, thus the recommendation for foam or microfiber.

Also, to understand why myself and these others have recommended hand over the DA for removing sanding marks, do an advanced search using the word,

exert

and read some of my comments on this topic in the threads your search brings up.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Great test, that looks awesome! That is a nice finish, you didn't polish or wax? I've been using 95 for awhile, but haven't tried 105 yet. Can't wait to try some!
                          Knowledge is power
                          2001 Silver Acura 3.2 CL
                          1996 Red Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
                          1978 21' Dodge RV (restored)

Comment

Hey was wondering if M85 could do the same thing? I don't think we stock M105 in Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by RtN View Post
                              Hey was wondering if M85 could do the same thing? I don't think we stock M105 in Australia.
                              I doubt it. M85 is a great product, but nothing compares to M105. It's in a class by itself if you ask me.
                              '05 Arctic Blue Pearl Acura TSX
                              '03 Silver Lexus RX 300

Comment

Originally posted by AJ C-Burg View Post
                                Great test, that looks awesome! That is a nice finish, you didn't polish or wax? I've been using 95 for awhile, but haven't tried 105 yet. Can't wait to try some!
                                Sorry for the delay. I didn't use any other products for the photo. That's just with M105.

Originally posted by RtN View Post
                                I've never used M85 but if I had to guess I wouldn't think it would work. M105 is designed for use by hand or rotary, where as M85 is designed to be rotary only.
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');