• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHY is it so hard to get that THIN layer?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WHY is it so hard to get that THIN layer?!

Glad you had success. I am happy the nxt 2.0 worked well. congrats.
    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by gollums_friend View Post
      One thing that made me smile---someone said "You should not really see the product going on"......and THAT is a large part of my problem, I think. If I can't see it then I'm not sure it's there....know what I mean? And it's that kind of thinking that gets my layer too thick, I think.
      That's a lot of people's problem, so here's a trick if you go back to paste wax (or for anyone who stumbles across this thread later): Angles.

You won't be able to see the wax dead-on if you're applying it correctly, but if you look across the panel at an angle, the waxed area will pop right out. Then you'll know what you waxed, what you didn't, and that you're actually doing something other than getting an upper arm workout.

I'd take a couple photo to illustrate, but my Jeep's filthy and it's a good 100 degrees out right now.

Viewing at an angle is also your friend for finding swirls and light etching, discovering bad bodywork, and finding dirt you missed during the wash. What can't angles do for you? Nothing, that's what!

Comment

the liquid is much better as far as I'm concerned. it's really easy to get an exact amount, on my hood, i will put the wax directly on the paint, and then work in, for the vertical surfaces I usually put a dab of wax on the applicator, and if I think I've got too much for one area, i'll dab the applicator onto the paint in different areas, looks like polka dots, then I work the product to connect them all and blend it in
        2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Backcountry View Post
          You won't be able to see the wax dead-on if you're applying it correctly, but if you look across the panel at an angle, the waxed area will pop right out. Then you'll know what you waxed, what you didn't, and that you're actually doing something other than getting an upper arm workout.
          Viewing at an angle is also your friend for finding swirls and light etching, discovering bad bodywork, and finding dirt you missed during the wash. What can't angles do for you? Nothing, that's what!

I agree, "angle viewing" is good........but I still have my problem, regardless. LOL. Paste and I just don't seem to get along very well no matter how much angle viewing I do!

Comment

Something I discovered using NXT Paste for the first time is that the pad starts to load up after a while. It looks like you don't have any product on the pad but if you take it and push and turn it on the paint you will see that in fact there is plenty of product already there to use.

So kind of like Mr. Mustang said upthread I take the loaded up pad and push and turn it on the paint and make dots of wax on the surface until the loaded up wax on the pad is gone. I don't reapply wax to the pad until I push and turn and get no more wax transfer to the paint surface.
            '08 Accord Cooooupe!

Comment

Originally posted by gollums_friend View Post
              I apply everything by hand under a carport in an apartment complex.

The first time I ever used NXT paste (May 2006) I despised it. Such a pain to get off the car, and I'd find "white specks" for days after. (Switched to three other Meg waxes during that time). Tried NXT paste again about a year later, tried really hard to apply a thinner layer. Only a little easier to apply/remove......no white specks hanging around. But I KNOW that my layer is still not thin enough. Still too much effort to apply/remove.

One strange thing that always happens with the NXT paste for me....the yellow app pad quickly accumulates "bumps of wax" on the pad. Don't know why. But this tends to make the wax go on thicker and thicker. So I swap for a new pad. I do this about FOUR times, and it's only a 4 door Pontiac G6 (crimson red, so it's not like I can't see the wax!) I have around 20 of Meg's yellow foam app pads.

If I try to use a teeny amount on the pad, then it seems like I have to put more onto the pad about every 30 seconds.

ONE TIME last year, I acheived massive success.........one of the yellow app pads didn't build up "bumps" of wax. The wax went on to thinly and easily, same with removal!! I thought "Ha! I've finally figured it out!!!"

That was the first and last time it worked out that way.

Yesterday, I bought a bottle of liquid NXT 2.0 for the first time. I don't tend to have quite as much difficulty with the liquids (ColorX and #26 yellow)....but I know they are still going on the car thicker than they should.

I know this is a really weird question........but I've been waxing by hand for 3 summers now......and I can't seem to get the THIN layer necessary to make this a whole lot easier on me!! Can someone give me any tips at all?? Thanks in advance!!
              yeah the paste is kinda such a pain ..... but what i do is i lightly rub half of the applicator foam (dry foam not damp) over the paste. squeeze the foam... then waxing begins same style when need to reload

the liquid is very very easy to use ..... just X or big O .... when need to reload ..... one short straight line will do

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');