• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

21 compared to GC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21 compared to GC?

I was just curious, to all the 21 fans, if they ever tried Gold Class.

Are they significantly different products?

Does 21 last longer?

Any other views on these two? THanks.

Re: 21 compared to GC?

Do some searching as I know Mike Phillips specifically compared this somewhere. #21 is a synthetic sealant, and it will last longer. Gold Class is very very easy to work with, and has natural carnuba (IIRC) as well as other ingredients (as do all carnuba waxes).

Both are great products, just quite a bit different in their make-up.

Comment

I have used both products. I l like using GC on darker cars. Then I like to "seal" it in with the #21. When I first started using Meguiars it was with the Gold Class. Its a great wax on its own. I also think that the #21 lasts longer. IMHO you really can't go wrong with either choice.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

I started using GC when I was entering the detailing world. It's a great wax.
        #21 will last longer compared to GC.

The best thing to do is to have a side by side test and see in your eyes which you like best.

Comment

gold class always seems to add a lot more depth and clarity to my black metaillic paint..

21 makes it really shiny/reflective, but doesnt have that glow to it imo..

Comment

I switch back and forth between GC and #26 as my topper over #21 2.0. That combo gives my silver car a wet look, which is exactly the look I like

From my experience, GC by itself does not last as long as #21. I've had #21 last 6+ months on my DD through a VT winter!
            1999 Ford Contour SVT
            Silver Frost/Midnite Blue
            1966/2760

Comment

Hum, I think I was confused when I originally posted this.

I guess I meant #26. How does Gold Class typically compare to #26 Yellow Wax? They seem like they might be similar?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                Do some searching as I know Mike Phillips specifically compared this somewhere. #21 is a synthetic sealant, and it will last longer. Gold Class is very very easy to work with, and has natural carnuba (IIRC) as well as other ingredients (as do all carnuba waxes).

Both are great products, just quite a bit different in their make-up.
                I have both products, what do you mean by easier too work with? by the sounds of it if #21 is more superior wouldn't you just apply that unless GC has some sort of deep gloss shine advantage over #21?

Comment

Originally posted by LaRgO View Post
                  I have both products, what do you mean by easier too work with? by the sounds of it if #21 is more superior wouldn't you just apply that unless GC has some sort of deep gloss shine advantage over #21?
                  Well, it is really hard to put into words, honestly, it is one of those personal preference things you just "feel" as you work with it. Granted, don't take that as me saying NXT is hard to work with, by any means! In fact I use NXT 2.0 (M21 2.0 actually in my case) on 3 out of 4 details that I do because I like how it works so much.

The Gold Class is just a very user friendly product, and I guess the only thing I could really point out being different is that NXT 2.0 requires more care to making sure you have a very thin coat, where in *my personal* experience Gold Class tends to be a little more forgiving.

Also, since GC is a carnauba based wax compared to NXT which is a sealant, they have a slightly different look to them. Some (heck most) people probably couldn't see the difference, so it is one of those things you have to try and find what works best for you.

Hope this helps!

Comment

now i understand what you mean actually, if you put a bit too much sealant on your applicator pad for #21 and you apply it, the sealant will bog on one spot so you have to rub it around to make an even coat without pressing too hard!

i solved this by putting #21 in a spray bottle it now squirts out a bit but not too much that it bogs up in one spot; the disadvantage is you gotta press the pump quiet a few times!

Comment

I may be wrong, but #21 is only a "paint sealant". It should bond to new or restored paint to help prevent fading, etc. Shouldn't you have to follow a sealant with a protective layer of wax?

I also thought #21 was specifically designed to work with the NXT Tech Wax 2.0 (both synthetic products).

Comment

Originally posted by EnvyDetailing View Post
                        I may be wrong, but #21 is only a "paint sealant". It should bond to new or restored paint to help prevent fading, etc. Shouldn't you have to follow a sealant with a protective layer of wax?
                        No.

You want to seal your paint with either a wax or a paint sealant, one or the other. You don't need to do both. Both products are in the category Step 4 Protection of the Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Careful reading other forums, there's lots of confusion in the Cyberworld.

Originally posted by EnvyDetailing View Post
                        I also thought #21 was specifically designed to work with the NXT Tech Wax 2.0 (both synthetic products).
                        These are the same type of product, M21 is in our Professional Line and can be used with a rotary buffer (because that's how hack detailers do their work), and the other is in our Consumer Line.

You would pick one or the other.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');