• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP #45 is blurring the surface after #49

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP #45 is blurring the surface after #49

Ok folks I am stumped why is my beloved #45 doing this to me??

As I mentioned in this post:

I used #49 with great success using a 7006 cutting pad with PC 7424. I proceeded with #45 and #63 during a early morning session (no halogen lights required).... tonight I was out doing more under halogen lights and I noticed that the area I just finished with did not look as good as I remember it the other morning.... so I begin testing. I go back over the area with #49 and sure enough there is improvement in how "crisp" the reflection is in the gel coat.

Why would #49 improve clarity over an area that was #49/7006 --> #45/8006 --> #63 9006???

I begin to test. I take #45 and 8006 to the area just completed with #49. Sure enough it produces a haze that reduces the clarity (crisp-ness) of the reflection in the gelcoat. Something is wrong as #45 has never let me down. I begin to think it may be contamination so I open a brand new 8006 pad, new bottle of #45 and new megs microfiber and try again. Sure enough it produces a haze again. The haze seems to worsen with each pass over the area. Ok... maybe the polisher is spitting out sand (impossible as I clean regularly) but... I try with a new high tech applicator.... same story.... #45 is making the surface worse..... I expected it to take my the gel coat after #49 up a level with all those great polishing oils

I have many years under my belt with the PC and #45.... it has worked flawlessly for me as seen here

I then tried to see if the #63 is also detracting from the surface... I try #63 of the an area only done with #49 no change other than deepening the shine (the wet look we all know and love)

So I am stumped guys.... why do you think the #45 could be doing this?

I knew you all would ask for pictures.... so here they are..... note that it is 1AM so the camera did it's best. I roped off an area with blue tape... the area had been #49'd only. I then took a piece of blue tape down the middle and did #45 over the #49 are on the left... as you can see from below the left is blurry.... the right is much more crisp.

Thanks everyone in advance for the help and your thoughts.

An additional note is that this only seems to be happening to the areas that I used #49 first.... as noted in the post above the same #45 bottle returned amazing clarity on the black portion of my hull but it did not need any compounding.
    Last edited by SeaRayOwner; Jul 30, 2008, 01:34 AM. Reason: Grammar Error
    Jeremy
    Boat: 2006 SeaRay 280DA T-4.3 MPI Alpha 1
    Tow Vehicle (aka My Truck): 2008 GMC Sierra 2500 DuraMax/Allison
    Wife's Car: 2006 Lexus ES330
    Folsom, Ca

Re: HELP #45 is blurring the surface after #49

Very strange indeed as M45 is very rich in polishing oil and from my understanding it's a pure polish, that is to say it's a non-abrasive polish, more akin to #3 or #7 than a cleaner/polish.

Do you have any other pure polishes you can troubleshoot with?

What happens when you hand apply M45 to a test section instead of machine apply?

I'm off today but will check back in later for your reply...

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike thanks for the quick reply I appreciate it. In the picture I actually did hand apply the #45 as I "roped" off a section a little too small to machine apply. I used a brand new high tech applicator. Your thoughts are along the same lines as mine.... this stuff is very light slippery stuff..... how in the world could it be marring the surface.

I do have #7 and #81 sitting on my car side of my detailing shelf. I will give those a try once the sun leaves the area I am working on.... darn it I need a big garage

Now that I have gotten a little sleep I am noticing the "problem" on only the area that I started with #49. Could it be that I did not get all of the dead (oxidized gel coat) off and the polish is exposing the bad stuff? Weird that is seems to get worse as I continue with #45.... I am stumped.
      Jeremy
      Folsom, Ca

Comment

The polish shouldn't make any oxidized gel coat more obvious; it should do the opposite. That is really odd. These next two questions probably sound very stupid, but just to be sure....Are you sure you grabbed the right bottle and it's #45 you are using (back when I used to use Armorall, one time I accidentally grabbed the wheel cleaner instead of the vinyl protectant and sprayed it on my dash....I'm probably the only moron that would do that but just to be sure)? Also, could the boat possibly have gotten some sand or dirt blown onto it? I still don't see how either of those two would be possible seeing as how #45 seems to be working fine on it's own, but that's all I can think of...
        Lydia's Mobile Detailing
        Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
        2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

From what I can tell the #49 took care of any oxidation. I understand you being sure.... I was using a bottle of #45 I have been using for a couple of weeks. I thought of possible contamination so I opened up a second bottle of #45 (brand new) just to be sure.... I keep 5-6 bottles on hand at all times. When I compound, polish, wax I begin each day (if section not finished from previous day with a wash and dry. I spray and wipe #34 final inspection on each section prior to beginning... and I always wipe away any polishing, compounding dust, each with a separate towel after each section. I never do any work if there is wind. When I setup for the picture I washed the area, dried, wipe with final inspection, then began. I cannot explain this which is why I turned to the board.

All wiping, removing product residue, etc is done with it's own towel. Meg MF of course.
          Last edited by SeaRayOwner; Jul 30, 2008, 02:33 PM. Reason: Added one additional item
          Jeremy
          Folsom, Ca

Comment

Hey there,
            I had this same exact problem on a boat I did this last weekend and one that I had done prior.

I thought it was just me. Both boats would become clearer after touching up with the oxidation remover. I couldn't figure it out.

When doing the boat this weekend for my brother I ended up leaving the polish on due to the boat being so neglected. I figured it was better to have a hazy finish and provide oils to the surface.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that had this problem. I hand applied the polish once and applied with a cheap da the other time. I figured it was more due to me being a newb than a problem with the product.

Comment

Thank you for posting your experience. I assume by the exact same problem you are referring to the areas you compounded with #49 first then followed with #45? I have had outstanding results with #45 on surfaces that did not need compounding but the areas where #49 is followed by #45 are problematic.

Tonight I will be trying the following to see if I can get improvement after washing:

- Re-run #49 with 7006 --> #49 with 8006 --> #45 with 8006 --> Inspect

-Re-run #49 with 7006 --> #7 with 8006 --> Inspect

-Re-run #49 with 7006 --> #81 with 8006 --> Inspect

-Re-run #49 with 7006 --> #44 with 8006 --> #45 with 8006

I will different areas and record results with pictures.
              Jeremy
              Folsom, Ca

Comment

hey all I will not get to further testing tonight (too tired) I will do this tomorrow. I would appreciate any further input anyone especially the folks @ megs have in regard to the problem I am experiencing. Thanks for the help.
                Last edited by SeaRayOwner; Jul 31, 2008, 12:33 AM. Reason: grammar
                Jeremy
                Folsom, Ca

Comment

Originally posted by SeaRayOwner View Post
                  hey all I will not get to further testing tonight (too tired) I will do this tomorrow. I would appreciate any further input anyone especially the folks @ megs have in regard to the problem I am experiencing. Thanks for the help.
                  Please keep us posted, I'll try to find some answers.

We're going to have an extreme makeover at Meguiar's on an older gel-coat boat next week so maybe we can try to duplicate what you're experiencing.

What year is this boat you're working on?

Tentatively we're planning on working on this next week, it's a one owner 1976 Starline Deville

It has medium oxidation and staining from the water line down and light oxidation on the upper surfaces. This picture doesn't show the oxidation very well as it was so bright out when we took the photo but you can see where the finish is splotchy and where it's not.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike thanks for the reply.. I am working on my own boat listed in my signature sorry that I did not specify.

That is a classic indeed.... you do not see many of those up this way.
                    Jeremy
                    Folsom, Ca

Comment

Mike thanks for the reply.. I am working on my own boat listed in my signature sorry that I did not specify.

Sorry, after a day off I'm usually typing pretty fast and miss little things like that....

That is a classic indeed.... you do not see many of those up this way.
                      Hard to find boats from 1976 that aren't all thrashed... this thing still has the original carpet in it! I'll start my own thread as soon as I take possession of it, still waiting for the owner to have time to finalize our deal.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

no worries at all sir. Ah yes 1976 a great year indeed.
                        Jeremy
                        Folsom, Ca

Comment

[quote=SeaRayOwner;234126]Thank you for posting your experience. I assume by the exact same problem you are referring to the areas you compounded with #49 first then followed with #45? I have had outstanding results with #45 on surfaces that did not need compounding but the areas where #49 is followed by #45 are problematic.

/quote]

Yes, sorry I wasn't more specific. Both boats were heavily oxidized and required #49 first. I then followed with #45, which gave it a haze, and then Meguiars Marine Pure Wax... not sure what number #56? The 1st boat I did I redid the colored portion of the boat with #49 and skipped the polish the 2nd time, then added the wax. That restored the shininess as I'm sure I removed the polish. The 2nd boat I did, I left the polish on and it was hazy when I was done.

Comment

I am going to try a few things tonight and see what I can do... I take my boat out of service to get the detail stuff done... I need this to be done so I can put the boat back in the water and enjoy it. Very weird interaction between #49 followed by#45.

Did you use Megs pads for application? If so which ones? I am trying to draw a pattern if possible.
                            Jeremy
                            Folsom, Ca

Comment

1st time the polish was applied with a cheap DA and a generic applicator pad. 2nd boat I used a terry cloth to apply the polish. Both times I removed with a MF towel. Both had the same results. I think you are correct in saying that it has more to do with applying the 45 after the 49, even though they are supposed to compliment each other.

Maybe theres a bad batch of polish or 49? Where do you live?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');