• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP #45 is blurring the surface after #49

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HELP #45 is blurring the surface after #49

I am in Folsom, California bought the #49 from West Marine. Funny thing is I was very surprised how nice the #49 left the surface. It was much better than I expected for a compound. I have completed the testing I mentioned and here are the results with pictures.

Each product was applied with it's own Megs High Tech Applicator wiped and then a second application was done followed by a wipe. Each area had it's own MF towel for wiping. No Wax was done during the test. The entire test area was hit with #49 wiped and then a second application and wiped before tape was applied.

Test Setup

Here is the area in which I applied #44 then #45. This one yielded the worst results.

Here is the application of #7

Here is the application of #81

Here is the application of #45

Under the vertical strips of tape is only #49 I too some comparisons pics.

#49 only left #49, #44, #45 right

#49, #7 left #49 only right

#49, #81 left #49 only right

#49, #45 left #49 only right

To me it looks like the #45 over #49 gave the least amount of haze but it not as clear as the #49 by itself. So I pose the question to the experts here why? What is it about #49 first that make the polish perform so poorly. I need help on this one as right now I am considering doing #49 then going over with several thin coats of #63. I know there is something amiss I just cannot determine as I am following the same procedures as I do on other portions of the boat. The only difference in this area was that I used #49 to remove some light oxidation.

I have owned the boat since new and the areas that have not experienced any #49 respond extremely well to #45.

The boat is stored directly next to my home in a secured area and thus is not subjected to anything unknown other than dust falling from the sky. The area tested was washed (#65 and Megs Marine Wash mitt) and dried (Marine Water magnets) prior to beginning the test.

Is there any problems in #49 and going directly to #63? I would like to complete the surface care and get back to using the boat. Any and all help is appreciated.... as I need it. Thank you!!
    Jeremy
    Boat: 2006 SeaRay 280DA T-4.3 MPI Alpha 1
    Tow Vehicle (aka My Truck): 2008 GMC Sierra 2500 DuraMax/Allison
    Wife's Car: 2006 Lexus ES330
    Folsom, Ca

Comment

I've read when removing heavy oxidization to Clay the paint then moving on to another step....When the oxidized paint (dead paint) is removed it exposes the good paint and the embedded contaminants......That was on an automobile, will it work on your boat? wouldn't hurt to try. There may be some contaminants in the paint from the 49 and the 45 is looking the way it is.

There is no harm from going straight to wax. I've seen others go from the new M105 to wax on auto's that is .

If the lights don't show swirls or marring from the 49, wax her up and take her out.

Awesome pictures for the side by side and products used, I was really able to see what was going on, strange indeed for the 45 to go hazy after 49.

Keep us updated and get some rest.

Aaron
      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments and input sir... I was just out re-doing everything in #49.... and read the end of the bottle (for long lasting protection #56 or #63) Read the bottle Jeremy... haha... I do clay the boat before beginning the detail process.... I have actual pulled back some nice junk from the gel.... does not get as bad as the cars.... but detailing junk free is for me. Claying in between steps is an interesting thought. I may try that next time. Thanks for the idea. The #49 leaves no marring or light swirls at all.... I was really surprised. I was also surprised at the level in which the diminishing abrasives broke down.... after working the #49 well it feels like an oily polish residue left over.

As I mentioned I am going over the area I have ben working with with #49 one last time then I will proceed to several thing layers of #63.
        Jeremy
        Folsom, Ca

Comment

I hope it goes great for you.

I would have thought the 45 would give you added shine as it is a polish, but go and wax her up and take her out.

The gloss on the final picture is nice indeed. I can't wait to buy a boat....someday!

Don't you love getting pictures of other people?

Aaron

Comment

Buying a boat was one of the best purchases I have ever made. Nothing shakes the stresses of life away like dropping in friday night.... waking up on the water Saturday, Sunday, and sometimes Monday too

I would have thought the same as the gloss in the final picture is just after #45. My wife is great and will help me on occasion. Thanks man I appreciate the positive feedback. I love floating up to the dock and having many people ask how I keep it so shinny.
            Jeremy
            Folsom, Ca

Comment

Great research you did there. My polish came with the 49 and pure wax in a boat restoration kit. Meguiars certainly gives the impressions that 45 is supposed to be used after 49. Its hard to understand why it isn't working for you or I.

Ah well, nothing wrong with skipping the polish, especially with a boat that has been taken such good care of.

Enjoy! And thanks for your hard work! Maybe Mike will be able to figure out what happened when he reconditions the 76er.

Comment

The people in charge of our Marine department are out on vacation and won't be back until August 12th.

I actually have no idea what's taking place that would be giving both of you these results but as soon as the product manager for our Marine line returns I'll bring them up to speed on the thread and then let them take over from there.

I will try to duplicate your test on the 1976 Starline Deville as it has some oxidation from the water line down as you can see in the pics below...

Here's a close-up of the same shot that better shows the oxidation...

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike I appreciate your help. I would really like to get a quality polish on this area. I look forward to additional information from the Marine Dept. Please let me know how you fair with the Silver Line.
                  Jeremy
                  Folsom, Ca

Comment

I thought I would share the #49 followed by pics of the #63. I wish I would have taken before photos. The transom had light to moderate oxidation. Looking pretty good now.

The "trunk" door has always had the orange peel look since the boat arrived from the factory in shrink wrap on the truck. I have asked that it be replaced twice... but the replacement doors looked exactly the same. It must be the way they shoot the gel coat on this part.

Jeremy
                    Folsom, Ca

Comment

Can't tell that is kept outside.

Good show.

Hopefully your new way of skipping pure polish helps. Looks like it anyway.

Hopefully someone has an answer to as why the polish hazes.

Aaron

Comment

Thanks Aaron I appreciate the compliment. I spend quite a few hours ensuring the boat looks great. Lots and lots of surface area to detail.
                        Jeremy
                        Folsom, Ca

Comment

Nice job. I have 2 boats I have to do at the end of the season. I am not sure if either have ever been polished.
                          If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Hi All,

Well, I have not read every thread in this post, but I read about the initial problem with M45 hazing the surface after time. I have seen this occur on a gelcoat surface that is older and very neglected, but has been restored. The problem being is that the surface, though looking like it is free of all oxidation after cleaning still has oxidation deep in the gel. So when the polish is applied it gets absorbed in the gel coat and can cause some hazing for this reason. But this appears to be a gelcoat in pretty good condition. A couple questions:

1. How old is the bottle of polish?
                            2. Is the product consistent and not separated( exposed to extreme heat or cold)?

If neither of these are a factor I recommend that you skip the M45 step and go directly to the M63. The M63 does have polish in it so it may be a case of too much of the polish step being applied to a surface. By eliminating the
                            M45 you are still getting polish, but not an excess amount.

Let me know how this works you.

Tom Mac Donald
                            Meguiar's Inc
                            800-854-8073

Comment

Tom thanks for your reply. Here are the answers to your questions.

1. I would guess the first bottle of polish was 12-14 months old. Suspecting something was amiss I changed out everything pads, polish, MF, my can of Dr. Pepper (mentioned in previous post, not sure if you read that far). The new bottle I opened was 6 months old. I keep 5-6 bottles of M45 on hand.

2. Yes. If the product had appeared inconsistent or different than previous bottles of M45 I would not have used the product. As I mentioned I keep plenty on hand. I always rub the product between my fingers and smell (weird I know) but it has alerted me to "something is not right" in the past. All of my detailing "stuff" is kept in the garage in Northern California. We will see a few daytime temps that exceed 100 degrees but I have never had the garage temp guage over 95. The product does not sit anywhere where it can come into contact with sunlight.

Take a look for yourself

Just to clarify the problems statement. It seems that #49 followed with #45 is making the surface appearance (reflection) hazy or not as clear as the result with #49 alone. A haze after a polish or a polish detracting from the appearance did not seem right thus the reason for this thread. I am hoping Meguiars can shed some light on what is going on. If you read the other posts you will see I also did tests with #7, #81, #44+#45, and #45 all over an area which had been prepped with #49. The result was good with #49 alone so in the interest of getting my boat back in the water I went back over the test area and #45'd area with #49 to clean it back up then applied #63 (3 thin coats). The results of this are also in a previous post within this thread.

The area did have some light oxidation (thanks to our near constant 10 and 11 UV index days I would guess) which is why I cracked open a bottle of #49 (1 week old) to begin with.

I hope this helps.
                              Jeremy
                              Folsom, Ca

Comment

I think the next step in a solution would be to by-pass the M45 step and go directly to the M63 after M49. Try it in a spot and see how this works for you.

To find a true solution to this you may need to take me out on the water to your best local fishing hole. We can drowned worms and investigate if the fish aren't biting.

Let me know what this does. I will be out of the office until next week attending Hot August Nights in Reno so I may not have access to much on line.

Regards,

Tom Mac Donald
                                Meguiar's Inc

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');