• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question

I have two vehicles. A '97 Chevy Z-71 and a 2008 Accord EX-L. I found this forum when I was trying to figure out which Meguiar's wax to get for my new ride. I had no idea how much I could do for my vehicles paint on my own.

I purchased my Accord on May 1, 2008. It is my daily driver. I live in the greater Houston area and have a 60 mile roundtrip commute each day. The paint color is maroon (burgundy).

Since the vehicle is so new and based on reading through various threads on this site, this is what I think I need to purchase and the steps I need to take for my vehicles paint.

Purchase:
    • Meguiar's® Gold Class™ Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner
    • G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit
    • Speed Glaze - #80
    • Deep Crystal® System Polish
    • Gold Class™ Clear Coat Wax
    • Quik Detailer® - for the clay
    • Even Coat™ microfiber applicator - 6 of these
    • Supreme Shine microfiber towel - 6 of these

I have a synthetic chamois.

Steps:
    1. Wash with two bucket method
    2. Dry with chamois
    3. Mask lights, wipers, plastic, sunroof felt, tires and wheels etc
    4. Clay
    5. Speed Glaze
    6. Deep Crystal
    7. Wash with two bucket method
    8. Dry
    9. Apply two thin coats of wax
    10. Watch neighbors get jealous

For those of you with experience, does this sound like the correct path?

I don't even want to think about the truck. It is gonna take a lot of work as I have neglected the paint intentionally. Chevy trucks are the #1 stolen vehicle in Harris county, so I figure if it doesn't shine, it doesn't leave without me.

Thanks!
    1997 Chevy K1500 Z-71
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L

Re: Newbie question

Originally posted by xct84 View Post
    For those of you with experience, does this sound like the correct path?
    If you use M80 Speed Glaze for your swirl mark remover you can skip using the Deep Crystal Polish as the M80 is very rich in polishing oils already.

Other than that it looks like a good recipe...

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

If you remove the product(s) like #80 properly, there shouldn't really be any need to re wash the vehicle before putting on your wax (two coats). If you have small area(s) where the polishing product didn't seem to wipe clean, you can always use a little QD product before waxing.

You may want to consider doubling down on the MF towels (you'll need them sooner than later) and get an extra bottle of QD for the clay to have handy. You might also want to consider grabbing a bottle of Ultimate QD. After the wax has set a while, a light spritz of UQD really seems to make things pop.....and is great as a maintenance product after your regular wash.

Mort

Comment

Sounds like a good order and a plan of attack. Let us know how things worked out. The step of polishing sounds like a extra step but it is up to you.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');