• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine compartment in a 6 years old car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine compartment in a 6 years old car

I'd like show you a couple of pictures of the engine compartment of my mom's car. This Yaris is 6 years old and it's never seen any cleaner under the hood before.
    Since I do not have neither equipment nor experience I do all the work by hand. I use Extra, Heavy Duty Shop Wipes, NXT Gen Tech Protect, NXT Gen Tech Wax and some cheap microfiber towels.
    My process is the following:
    1) remove dirt and grime with Extra and Shop Wipes,
    2) wipe the surfaces dry with microfiber towels to prevent streaks,
    3) apply wax to metal/painted surfaces,
    4) apply Tech Protect to plastics and rubber,
    5) wipe wax off,
    6) wipe excess Tech Protect off.
    And here are the pictures ...

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

I think the result ain't that bad.

Re: Engine compartment in a 6 years old car

Looks great. I use the lazy man's method and get good results and some of the guys here gave me the confidence to try it out (I've now done 4 engines with great results).

1. Rinse with regular garden hose to loosen and remove heavy debris

2. Spray Meg's APC liberally throughout.

3. Agitate only the worst areas with soft brush

4. Rinse

5. Spray Meg's Hyper dressing liberally.

6. Close hood, walk away and come back in 15 minutes.

7. Wipe excess HD and be amazed at how little work can yield such a positive result.
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Nice work especially since you used the KISS method...

Keep it Simple Simon

Also nice work on capturing your photos from matching perspectives, really helps to showcase your before and after work.

For others that read this thread notice how he took his after shots to use the same position as he did the before shots.

There's this too in our "How To Articles" forum.

Tips for how to correctly take pictures to document an Extreme Makeover

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike. I'm happy to get so much encouragement from you. It really makes me believe I didn't waste my time cleaning that mess.

And what's funny about detailing is that it also makes you think how to take good pictures.

Comment

That is a dramatic improvement. All done by hand. Great work. Looks great.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

I never understood how engines get that way... if someone can explain it I'd really like to know... the reason I don't get it is because I've owned 3 cars myself, which were used and came from random previous owners not some detail buffs, and the engine compartments all look very clean... if new was a 10 and above photos a 1 all my cars have been 7-9, my 98 BMW being 9..

Does it have to do with the way the trim is placed around and under the engine? I really can't figure it out... I've also seen 6 toyotas from 98 Camry to 05 Corolla and none were even close to above, as I said much much better...

Anyway, good work on the Yaris!
            Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
            Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

Good contrast on the befores and afters.

Tim
              ps: dude you missed a spot on the brake booster
              Learning new things everyday

Comment

Looks great

Comment

Originally posted by lecchilo View Post
                  I never understood how engines get that way...
                  I think it has to do with three things - trim (which you mentioned), roads and weather.
                  In Poland condition of many roads leaves a lot to demand. They are basically dirty. In the summer we get a lot of dust on the roads while in the winter they pour salt and sand on the roads to keep them open. And all that stuff gets every possible place in the car ... including engine bay. So, if you let it stay there it all ends up like on the "before" photos.

Comment

Originally posted by R0N1N View Post
                    I think it has to do with three things - trim (which you mentioned), roads and weather.
                    In Poland condition of many roads leaves a lot to demand. They are basically dirty. In the summer we get a lot of dust on the roads while in the winter they pour salt and sand on the roads to keep them open. And all that stuff gets every possible place in the car ... including engine bay. So, if you let it stay there it all ends up like on the "before" photos.
                    I should've been clearer... I'm talking about cars in the same location... Chicago for example... all of my family's car over the past 10 years have been only Chicago land owned, but compared to some of the other cars, of friends, clients, and random engines I've looked at, they're a night and day difference.. it's just weird to me
                    Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
                    Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

Very nice job on the engine!
                      Great improvement

Comment

nice and simple man

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');