• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2003 Yamaha Raptor 660R Limited Edition - Work In Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Yamaha Raptor 660R Limited Edition - Work In Progress

Bringing this thing out of the cave where it has been sitting for ummm, a while. Here are pictures of it right after I dragged it out of it's cave. Spiderwebs, spiders, more spiders, and lots of bugs, leaves, and other items of nature. A "friend" of mine who was just storing it in his garage for me bent the rear grab bar and broke/bent something in the front right while riding it drunk on muddy trails at night (note the caked on red mud) which is why it has been sitting. In the second picture, you can see the RF wheel is bent out, not turned. I will be taking the grab bar off for now since it isn't supposed to be facing the sky, and gradually work on fixing the front and changing fluids. When my friend comes back in about a year or so, I will have the repair receipts waiting. First though, it needs a good cleaning.

Gave it a very simple and basic wash at my parent's house, where it is kept. Almost got bitten by 3 at least half-dollar size black widows in the process. I took it up to the coin-op wash and the pressure washer did a better job than the low pressure well water at the house. Sitting in the back of my truck right now with a fresh couple gallons of 91 octane.

Plan tomorrow is to:
    1. scrub everything down with either APC or Super Degreaser.
    2. see how the body plastic takes to polishing, or wax at the least,
    3. polish the headlights and taillight,
    4. dress everything that needs it,
    5. remove the worn hand grips and clean the handlebars for the replacements, and hopefully have some new ones to put on.
    6. lube all parts of the suspension
    7. lube the chain
    8. change the oil with fresh synthetic

Re: 2003 Yamaha Raptor 660R Limited Edition - Work In Progress

Can't wait how it ends up!

Comment

Looks like it will be a good project. Can't wait for the afters.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

this should be a good project to watch
        2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

I am uploading the photos and will then be writing everything up, but first, I want to introduce to you the largest black widow spider I have ever seen. Found her behind the battery. Went to find some Raid (no way of catching and releasing), came back and it was gone. The sack it was on was about the size of a large marble, and you can see she is much bigger than that. Hopefully she packed up shop and left.

Comment

Good lord, that is a big spider. *Shudder* I hate spiders.

Looking forward to progress pictures!
            Navy Blue Metallic Pearl 2002 Camaro Z28: Build in progress. (416" LS3/9" Rear End/TH400/200 Shot)
            Superior Blue Metallic 2005 Trailblazer LS: !Badges/!Molding/20% Tint/Stealth Audio in Progress

Comment

You can keep it over there. I hate those things.

Comment

Here is where I started today after I went to town to get some supplies and parts.

These are getting replaced. They fell apart about a month after I put them on.

Here's the hub with the recessed holes that two black widows were in yesterday that almost got my hand, along with a dirty tire.

Alright, at this point in time I began cleaning for the third time. Had a long handled wash brush, a tire brush, Eagle One A2Z Wheel and Tire Cleaner, APC+ 10:1 and 4:1, Super Degreaser 10:1 and 4:1 and a bucket full of Deep Crystal Wash and Simple Green Mixed. The top was clean from yesterday, so I began from underneath the plastic and worked my way down. Sprayed the underside of the plastic and everything else on the body and engine with APC+ 4:1 and then scrubbed with the DCW/SG wash solution. The front suspension system needed Super Degreaser at 4:1 to help get rid of all that built up grease and dirt. The wheels and tires were sprayed with the EO A2Z, scrubbed and then rinsed. Now the simple part is done.

Next up was replacing the grips. These weren't that great. Plus, they weren't actually long enough to reach all the way to the throttle as you can see in the above pictures. Both sides had about a 1/2" gap that showed the handlebar. Following this the chain was lubed using a clear, synthetic on/off road chain lube that is also O-Ring safe.

Out with the old:

In with the New:

Took a bit to clean all of that gooey rubber left from those other grips, but after that it was a breeze.

Having tried Plast-X and M17 before to no avail, I had no idea what to use to get the plastic looking new. Read up on a product called Plexus (my new best friend, until I get some D151! ). Simply shake well, spray on and buff off. I also used it on the headlights and the taillights. Plastic trim around the headlights and the seat got the aerosol Trim Detailer applied with a Even Coat Applicator and all other trim and hoses just got sprayed down.

Here are the afters:

This area used to just be covered in grease that was covered in dirt:

New Grips Installed. These ones go all of the way to the throttle and ignition button.

I just thought this would be a neat photo:

Being 100+ in the sun today, I didn't get to any mechanical stuff like greasing the suspension or changing the oil. The air filter and the air filter holder are soaking. The air filter holder came apart into two pieces, so I will have to glue those back together before I can use the air filter. I bought some 20W-50 Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil and a K&N Oil Filter for it today as well. The new battery should be in on Tuesday (ordered that today). After that, I think all that's really left is to recover the seat and find out what is wrong in the RF.

I had fun sweating away to get you guys pictures, so I hope you enjoyed them, lol!

P.S.- I think it is nature, i.e.-black widow, free now!

Comment

Looking great so far!
                  Navy Blue Metallic Pearl 2002 Camaro Z28: Build in progress. (416" LS3/9" Rear End/TH400/200 Shot)
                  Superior Blue Metallic 2005 Trailblazer LS: !Badges/!Molding/20% Tint/Stealth Audio in Progress

Comment

Thanks Funkster!

Comment

Coming along great. The Bike is really shaping up. Keep up the great work, Tyler.

Comment

That's awesome.

That spider made me shudder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Great job so far! Keep us posted

Comment

looks great, youre crazy for working in those temps!
                            2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

Thanks much guys! Working in those temps gives me a nice tan, lol. I did a quick ride up the road after I was done and noticed the RF wheel is definitely bent. Hopefully that is all.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');