• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to use for prep before fixing rock chips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use for prep before fixing rock chips?

Hey guys I was looking my car over and found some rock chips in it, I know they can't be perfect but I'd like to touch them up to make them less noticeable. I just waxed my car so I was wondering what I should use before using touch up paint?

My plan was to use the duplicolor 2n1 kit where you putty/ sand, prime, and then use touch up paint. Should I use a prep solvent or would something like DC#1 be ok?

Thanks!

Re: What to use for prep before fixing rock chips?

You kind of lost me, but I would suggest cleaning it with a normal wash and then doing an alcohol/prep solv wipe down.

Comment

Also not sure what you mean but I've fixed small to larger rock chips in the past just by using a bit of rubbing alcohol to clean the area then using touch up paint. I never used primer or anything like that. I would like to learn to wet sand the rock chipped parts and polish over that area with M105 but I'm pretty scared to try it lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard1818 View Post
        Also not sure what you mean but I've fixed small to larger rock chips in the past just by using a bit of rubbing alcohol to clean the area then using touch up paint. I never used primer or anything like that. I would like to learn to wet sand the rock chipped parts and polish over that area with M105 but I'm pretty scared to try it lol.
        LOL....welcome to MOL!
        Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
          LOL....welcome to MOL!
          Thanks man! I figured I've searched around enough that I should join and start bugging other people besides you!

Comment

Yup you all answered my question, now that i look at it that was written weird....
            Basically wanting to know if I should use something like a prep solvent since I just waxed or if DC#1 was a strong enough cleaner to suffice.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');