• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smooth Surface Clay Kit - The Ultimate Test!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smooth Surface Clay Kit - The Ultimate Test!

Hello Chaps,

Well, today I had to wash and detail my old man's Saab, which I've borrowed from him for a week. Now, the car doesn't get washed very often (the last time would have been when I borrowed it last, a year ago), and spends its life parked under a pine tree, so as you can imagine it's a bit grubby by the time I get my hands on it. This time, however, there was a nice surprise waiting for me.

Some time ago, one of the rear callipers had been sticking, and the surface of the disc had rusted up impressively. My father had the calliper replaced recently, and it was now able to use the pad to grind all the rust off the disc - and it went straight onto the wheel, and all over the left side and rear of the car as it was spread about in the airflow around the vehicle. Dad, in his wisdom, used a wire brush (!) to clean up the alloy wheel (I've wetsanded the result to something almost respectable), but hadn't touched the bodywork. So, large amounts of ferrous oxide embedded in the paint, let's see what that looks like on the rear bumper, which was worst hit:

Hmm, that doesn't look too nasty, does it? Let's have a closer look...

Oooh dear, that's not good. Even wet, the surface felt like you could've struck matches on it (In Soviet Russia, paintwork wet sands you! ). I looked over my options, and decided to see if I could pull the stuff out of the paint. Get the clay bar!

After a fair old session of rubbing away, the embedded particles were, slowly, being pulled out, but it wasn't easy. Think that bug you gooshed with your front bumper at a hundred-plus was stubborn? Let me tell you, it's got nothing on this stuff. You could patent it and sell it as bedliner. The claying continued, with very, very frequent folding over of the bar to get a cleaner surface...

I paused when I had a patch done to get a photo showing the difference where the panel's been cleaned. There's a light at the end of the tunnel...

There we go! Finally, all done, and ready to be cleaned, polished and waxed! (DC1, DC2, NXT, UQD if you're interested)

Now, this may seem like a silly thing to create a thread about, but I was seriously impressed with how the SSC kit held up to this kind of abuse, especially considering that it's the kit I bought a year ago, and having done four or five full cars with it, it was only after this that I 1) ran out of the Quik Detailer that came in the pack, and 2) decided the clay bar should be retired, and opened up the second one the kit came with to do the "regular" claying on the rest of the body.

For an off-the shelf consumer product, being used by a fairly ham-fisted gorilla like me, that's not bad at all. Thanks Meguiar's!

Re: Smooth Surface Clay Kit - The Ultimate Test!

Way to go puting the Clay Kit through it's paces. That bumper had some of the nastiest stuff I've seen yet removed! Nice job bringing it back.
    Rob A.
    '09 Kia Optima (Bronze Metallic)
    '07 Kia Optima (Gold)

Comment

Good work and thanks for the review!
      Navy Blue Metallic Pearl 2002 Camaro Z28: Build in progress. (416" LS3/9" Rear End/TH400/200 Shot)
      Superior Blue Metallic 2005 Trailblazer LS: !Badges/!Molding/20% Tint/Stealth Audio in Progress

Comment

Very nice job!
        The clay bar is incredible, seems like a foolish product but it does miracles!

Comment

The only reason some people get lost in thought... is because it is unfamiliar territory for them.
          --VoicesInMyHead--
          0101011101100101001000000100000101110010011001010010000001000111011001010110010101101011

Comment

Night and day difference!

Comment

. cleaned up really good.

Tim
              Learning new things everyday

Comment

The things that the clay bar removes is always amazing.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Great Job!
                  SYDSTER

Comment

Nice job. Big difference in that bumper!
                    If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Great first post here Dave, thanks for sharing your experience and pictures of your results.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Nice job with the bumper. I think the smooth kit is a great value

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');