• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work Truck Detail 65+ pics...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Truck Detail 65+ pics...!

Work Truck Detail 65+ pics...!

We all like to read about detailing, especially when it's done to exotic cars.
    Reality is, most of us work on common vehicles, and I am no exception.
    Although I do get to work on some really trick rides, I have washed & detailed thousands of daily drivers.

Recently, I spent some time detailing a Toyota Tundra.
    It had logged 77k miles in about 1-1/2 years, and was used as a work truck.
    The owner decided to have it cleaned up, as it was no longer going to be used in the field.
    A friend of mine asked if I could do the truck.
    The owner of the truck has given my friend lots of work, so it was important that the job be done right.
    Here are some pics of the detail. I did not plan on doing a write-up... I took pictures for my own reference.
    Consequently, I didn't get all the shots I should have (such as a finalized engine!). I think you'll get the idea, though...
    Kevin Brown
    NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Re: Work Truck Detail 65+ pics...!

The truck was used off-road quite a bit. Dirt and tar are plentiful.

More dirt PLUS a lot of bugs litter the radiator area.

The engine looks as if it’s ten years old.

The wheels are hammered, and feature bush & dirt scratches, with a dose of tar.

Hood area matches the rest of the truck: Dirty.

Making our way to the interior, more of the same.

Doorjambs, carpet and the rest will need thorough cleaning.

Removal of the kickpanels reveal electronics I don’t want to get wet!

Door panels were removed to properly clean the backsides, speakers, & grills.
    Window rubbers and felts are much easier to access this way, too.

Shot of the door panel.
    Last edited by Kevin Brown; Aug 4, 2008, 02:16 AM. Reason: spelling
    Kevin Brown

Comment

Gauges are dirty and the plastic fascia very scratched.

Under the dash reveals a grimy a/c area and airbag.

A pile of easy to remove parts that will be thoroughly cleaned and reinstalled.

Air vents are pretty loaded with dirt and old interior dressing.

Driver’s seat removed.
      The center console and carpet were much easier to clean, too.

See? Incredibly, the carpet was not too bad in the rest of the truck.

Exterior- Needs a lot of attention.

M105 applied by hand will tackle the areas which cannot be machine polished.

Last edited by Kevin Brown; Aug 4, 2008, 02:17 AM. Reason: spelling
      Kevin Brown

Comment

There were MANY scratches- Some required 2500 grit sanding.

Some scratches were very deep. This one was only partly removed.
        It was hard to locate it once the polishing was done, as the scratch-edges were smoothed..

Lots of heavy scuffs that were completely removed via M105.

A test spot helps dial-in the polishing system. M105. Okay, that was easy.

This scratch was deep. It really stood out, so I had to sand it with 2500.

Gonna have to leave it like this and polish to an acceptable finish.

Last edited by Kevin Brown; Aug 4, 2008, 02:18 AM. Reason: spelling
        Kevin Brown

Comment

looks like an extreme makeover...cant wait to see more pixxies

Tim
          Learning new things everyday

Comment

Meguiar's Detailer D103 All Purpose Cleaner Plus was used throughout the interior.
            No extractor, here... Just APC+, water, brushes, and a Craftsman wet/dry vac.
            Towels and a warm summer day handle the drying duties.
            Carpets are rinsed until dirt & APC+ is removed.

Door sills are cleaned easily.
            Meguiar's M40 Vinyl/Rubber Cleaner & Conditioner applied for beauty & protection.

Small parts are easily cleaned. Electronic buttons, such as this were cleaned sans water.
            A dry towel & horsehair brush to clean. G134 Exterior Trim Coating to dress.
            No water, so it's safer to use around electronics (versus traditional dressings).

My helper, Annie, is not much help.

Under dash components are cleaned (to a degree). Not perfect, but pretty good.

Vents cleaned with APC+, agitated, and a pressure washer rinse.
            Once dried, Exterior Trim Coating adds sheen without stickiness.

Results of APC+, thorough cleaning & vaccuuming, & M40.
            Rest assured, carpet is super-clean.

Glove box hinges & latches are free of sticky dressing & gritty dirt.
            Water-spots & dust particultate handled upon final wipedown.

Plastic gauge fascia polished via M105 & Meguiar's Ultimate Wipe.
            All other dash areas cleaned with APC+. M40 & G135 protect & beautify.
            Kevin Brown

Comment

Pressure washer, towels, & vacuum super-sanitize center console.
              Not shown- Two other cubby areas & cupholders built into console. They looked good.

Headliner cleaned up nicely with APC+ and a bit of lacquer thinner.

Seatbelts cleaned with APC+, a green Scotchbrite, and a pressure washer.
              Fully extend seatbelts to outside of cab, shut door, clean.
              Areas that cannot be pulled outside of cab surround with towels and vacuum excess water.
              Wipe aggressively with towels, and leave fully extended to air-dry.

Under-seat areas were dialed in by hand. Yellow wiring means airbag!

Doorjambs cleaned just like the engine bay.
              Rinse with deionized water, mist on APC+, & agitate with a brush & sponge.
              Then, use Meguiar’s Detailer D130 Body Solvent to remove stuck-on tar & dirt-embedded grease.
              These particular jambs had a lot of calcium deposits (as did the emblems).
              An application of Meguiar’s Detailer D32 Wire Wheel Cleaner handled the situation.
              Mist, agitate, & rinse. A soapy-water rinse negates acid remnants.

Meguiar’s Detailer D140 Wheel Brightener cleans the wheels.
              Meguiar’s Detailer D130 Body Solvent removes tar speckles.
              Meguiar’s M105 Ultra Cut Compound used to polish wheels.
              I was able to use my Metabo SXE400 random-orbital with 3” foam pads to apply.
              Once all four wheels were cleaned I moved the truck a bit to access the areas that I couldn't reach...
              Due to the brake-caliper size... After this shot.

Meguiar’s Detailer D108 Super Degreaser cleans tires, fenderwells, & mudflaps.
              Meguiar’s D170 Hyper Dressing diluted 50/50 with water used to dress tire tread & fenderwells.
              Meguiar’s M40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner used to dress sidewalls & mudflaps.

Cowl area cleaned with APC+, than dressed with M40.
              All exterior glass polished with M105, applied with Metabo & a 3” foam pad.
              Residue removed with D112 Super Soap and water. Pressure washer rinse.
              Windshield edges carefully scraped with a razor blade.
              Last edited by Kevin Brown; Aug 4, 2008, 02:22 AM. Reason: add word
              Kevin Brown

Comment

Underhood looks fresh again.

Grille cleaned with APC+, then acid, then soap, and finally dressed with M40.

Radiator support- Sorry, no pic of the radiator & complete support... DOH!

Undercarraige looks respectable again.
                Tailpipe cleaned with APC+, acid, then a soap rinse.
                Wish I had seen the scratches on the tip- M105 would have removed them easily!

It's these areas that really make a detail right- Time-consuming, but what a difference.

Emblems cleaned via APC+ & a toothbrush & vent brush.
                After a soapy water rinse, acid is applied & agitated.
                Water rinse again. After machine paint-polishing, M105 is applied by hand to and around
                the emblem. Soapy water is applied via trigger bottle, agitated, & pressure washer rinsed.

This is the spot where that big scratch was- Look closely and you can still see it.

From most angles, and in most light situations, it was hardly noticeable.

Pickup bedside looks nice.
                Kevin Brown

Comment

Side shot.

Door handles look clean and feel smooth. M105 & Ultimate Wipes did the trick.

Looks like a different truck.

The owner was appreciative. My friend was pleased. I am happy it's done! Thanks for reading.
                  Kevin Brown

Comment

Truly awesome work.

Thanks for the share. Really made my day better

Tim
                    Last edited by TimG; Aug 4, 2008, 02:27 AM. Reason: typo
                    Learning new things everyday

Comment

That is truly awesome work. Your attention to detail is tremendous. That is some outstanding work there. Great job.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

I'm always glad to see you start a thread in a show off or extreme make over. That Tundra looked awful, now it looks new.

Great job!

Aaron
                        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

AWESOME!
                          Truly Great OCD detail work!!!!

The only reason some people get lost in thought... is because it is unfamiliar territory for them.
                          --VoicesInMyHead--
                          0101011101100101001000000100000101110010011001010010000001000111011001010110010101101011

Comment

All I can say is WOW!

We have so much to learn from you Kevin.

How many hours (or days) did this job take?

I think you make one very important point that we need to pay attention too......You sanded that one scratch and determined that it was too deep to work any further. That is really key....you can't always fix everything....you can make it less obvious and therefore a big improvement. Had you sanded further, you could have caused a big problem, but you continued to evaluate your work as you sanded and made the right decision.
                            -Bob
                            NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

DAAS-HOW JADOODAT BABY!!!!!
                              Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');