• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work Truck Detail 65+ pics...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Work Truck Detail 65+ pics...!

Kevin, I can not post any words of praise for that awesomness right now as my jaw has fell off and went through the floor, I have to go and find it first.

Comment

WOW that is an amazing detail and attention to detail. How long did that tale?

Comment

How much did the new truck cost? You know the one you took the afters of....... LOL JK
        Awesome work! That is one pretty unbelievable transformation.

Andy
        101impala
        Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
        Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Great detail kevin!

Do have a question about the plastic gauge fascia polished with M105, Are you using M105 on plastic?
          ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
          You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
          Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Originally posted by 101impala View Post
            How much did the new truck cost? You know the one you took the afters of....... LOL JK
            I was thinking of saying the same thing but then I remembered that no new truck off the lot would look that good

Comment

there's no way thats the same truck! That's without doubt in the top 3 transformations I've ever seen. Holy cow!
              2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

Originally posted by RDVT4ME View Post
                All I can say is WOW!
                We have so much to learn from you Kevin.

How many hours (or days) did this job take?
                It took about 50 hours of hands-on time. The work was done over five days.
                I had anticipated 25 hours, but once it was delivered, I knew that my 'schedule' was blown to bits.

The fact that I was working with a serious ear infection didn't speed things up, either.
                At least it got me out and about doing something constructive.

Originally posted by RDVT4ME View Post
                I think you make one very important point that we need to pay attention to;
                You sanded that one scratch and determined that it was too deep to work any further.
                Had you sanded further, you could have caused a big problem, but you continued to evaluate your work as you sanded and made the right decision.
                Yes-
                There was really no point in pushing it further.
                Sure, it could have been cut away a bit more, but the vehicle is going to be used as a daily driver.

Since the truck still may have a long life ahead, it's best to leave as much paint on the surface as possible.
                Looks good considering how deep it was...
                Last edited by Kevin Brown; Aug 4, 2008, 10:39 PM. Reason: spacing
                Kevin Brown
                NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Originally posted by benhui86 View Post
                  That is totally amazing detail work (Especially on the interior)...

I was wondering.... since you know how to wet sand, why didnt you try to fill in the deep scratches with touch up paint and sand it flat (Which would totally eliminate the scratch)?
                  Good question. Fact is, I didn't really consider it.
                  Paint touch-up is not as easy as it seems.

Since I'm not set up to do paint repairs properly...
                  I wouldn't want to tackle such a long scratch (in such a visually-obvious position) with a brush.

Today's paint jobs are catalyzed to become harder as they dry.
                  A touch-up bottle of paint does not utilize that type of paint technology.
                  Sometimes, while sanding, the abrasive grit grabs ahold of the applied paint and pulls or pushes it, causing its adhesion to weaken.

Even if the clear DIDN'T 'pop' off the door as I final-sanded it, the touch-up may have been MORE noticeable than the mild sand & polish job.

Many times, even professional body shops have to 'blend' clear-coat paint between panels on seemingly simple spot repairs.

Further, I would not have included that service in a typical cleaning detail...
                  Especially one that I'd already underestimated!
                  Last edited by Kevin Brown; Aug 4, 2008, 10:40 PM. Reason: spacing
                  Kevin Brown

Comment

<<-all that needs to be said

Comment

Originally posted by stang_krazy View Post
                      Great detail, Kevin!

I do have a question about the plastic gauge fascia polished with M105... Are you using M105 on plastic?
                      Yes. M105 works wonders on hard plastics (for me).
                      Even though the abrasive in M105 is 'aggressive' (it has brutal cutting power), it is a very refined cutter.
                      Very consistently-sized particulate, as well as a long work-cycle help it deliver impressive results in terms of defect removal, while leaving things beautifully polished.

I used it to polish the headlights and taillights, too.
                      Rotary and G100 on the taillights... G100 on the headlights.

I polished the plastic fascia over the gauges using an Ultimate Wipe.
                      I didn't get the lense perfect, but much, much better.
                      Ideally, the lense could have been completely restored to defect-free with more time, and perhaps use of power tools.

I was able to remove quite a bit of scratching from the radio's hard plastic cover (and LCD display window, too!)
                      Kevin Brown

Comment

Hey all,

THANKS for all the kind comments!

They really mean a lot to me!
                        Kevin Brown

Comment

Amazing work!! Damn!

Comment

man, I ****!!! LOL
                            Great work!! That was inspirational, to say the least. Thanks for sharing that with the rest of us.
                            One question, how do you stay focused and not get overwhelmed on a job of that size?
                            The power of the flex compells you!!!

Comment

Wow, that is a transformation.

You should post this on Autopia as well. We don't see a lot of thorough interior work like this.
                              We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Comment

I am in awe....

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');