• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work Truck Detail 65+ pics...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Work Truck Detail 65+ pics...!

Amazing attention to detail and expertise! Actually taking the truck apart like you did brings detailing to the next level.

How long did the entire job take?
    You also mentioned using "acid" along with apc+ on the emblem and different parts. What kind of acid did you use, and in what situations do you find it helpful?

How did paint thinner help you with cleaning the headliner?

Thanks for the extensive write up!

Rodney

Comment

*Note to self... since I only work on cars for friends and family, never let them see any of the work Kevin does.
      ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

I've had the pleasure of working with you on a few sand/buff jobs, but Kevin...I'm kinda glad I wasn't around for the work on this Tundra. I'm spoiled now I guess. The really dirty ones don't look fun to me anymore. But as usual, you worked your magic (more like a mix of smarts, experience, and many hours.) Your incredible talent shows through in all your work, however especially evident in this remarkable transformation of a worked work truck.

Your broad application of M105 and APC+ makes me proud! I was on the development team for the those two products and it makes me smile that someone like you is so passionate about projects that I worked on. I'll pass on your (very well done) write up to others on my team who will surely appreciate the good work you do and how you use these products.

Awesome work Kevin!

Comment

Kevin, you've humbled us all I think...certainly spending 50 hours on a vehicle is something truly remarkable... 50 hours x $20/hour = $1000 (and that's low) ??...I've never used 105 but think I'm going to have to get some after seeing how multi functional it is.

I've never disassembled the components from a vehicle before and you said that it was "easy"...how easy ?...

You've taken the word "detail" to a whole other level in my eyes...I was however diappointed that you didn't show how you cleaned the inside of the interior dome light lens

Thanks for sharing such a great bunch of pictures as well...that in itself takes time to do.
          Bill Poirier
          West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

What is the difference between APC and APC Plus? I have APC and would like to use it on the floor carpet in my Ford Ranger. Can you go over in a little more detail what you did to clean the carpet in the Tundra? Great write up!!!
            2003 Mach 1
            Azure Blue
            5 speed/IUP
            2007 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
            KY Horsepower

Comment

Nice work. Congrats on the nice looking car. How long did it take you to completely your truck?
              Joel
              Firefighter/EMT-B
              Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
              "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
              '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by audionutmike View Post
                One question, how do you stay focused and not get overwhelmed on a job of that size?
                Detailing as a profession requires that you have:
                1. Appreciation for the car.
                2. Appreciation for the customer.
                3. Appreciation of the abilities needed to deliver a sanitary ride.

I've always looked upon 'the job' that way.
                Preservation of the car is the goal.
                Focus on getting the car done right, so the customer will be happy.
                Always try to better your detailing skills as you work (speed and performance).

An overwhelmed feeling goes away with experience.
                I suppose this is because with experience, comes familiarity of the job.

Comfort level rises as experience is gained.
                Best thing you can do to minimize an 'out of control' feeling, is to compartmentalize the detail.

Don't jump around.
                If you're going to polish the paint, complete that portion of the job.
                Then move on to cleaning the rubber, plastic, wheels, tires, etc.

You may choose to attack the dirtiest part of the car, first.
                Or, perhaps the most time-consuming portion.
                Common-sense should rule your detail-path...
                Avoid cleaning a part of the car that you will have to revisit due to poor planning!

Relaying the fact to the customer that you may need some leeway in your time-estimate helps remove stress, too.
                Kevin Brown
                NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Originally posted by Holden_Caulfield04 View Post
                  Wow, that is a transformation. You should post this on Autopia as well. We don't see a lot of thorough interior work like this.
                  Thanks for the 'Wow'.

Do you think that posting of a detail on various forums is proper 'netiquette'?

I generally post here at MOL, and don't frequent many sites.
                  I am a member of Autopia, but visit only occasionally.
                  Same goes with a couple other sites.

Just wondering.
                  Is it a pretty friendly forum?
                  Input by you and others appreciated!
                  Kevin Brown

Comment

Originally posted by zeorod View Post
                    Amazing attention to detail and expertise! Actually taking the truck apart like you did brings detailing to the next level.

You mentioned using "acid" along with apc+ on the emblem and different parts. What kind of acid did you use, and in what situations do you find it helpful?
                    How did paint thinner help you with cleaning the headliner?
                    Thanks for the extensive write up!
                    Rodney
                    Thanks for the appreciation of the job.

I'm not recommending that you use acid, but:
                    Use of acid on anything automotive demands that you pay attention, use caution, and test a spot before applying it to a large area...!!!!!!

I use acid when I cannot remove rust and/or calcuim & other mineral deposits.
                    I always use a detergent/water-based degreaser/soap first to loosen and/or remove dirt and grime. If there's grease or oil present (that I don't want to remain in place), I then use a solvent to remove it.
                    If there's mineral residue remaining after the aforementioned steps, I'll use an acid.

Basically, the acid breaks apart the mineral enough (dissolves it) so that the mechanical attachment to the surface is negated.

I used Meguiar's Detailer D3201 Wire Wheel Cleaner.
                    This product was NOT designed for water-spot removal.
                    In my experience, it works well yet doesn't harm surrounding paint.
                    Typically, properly-diluted automotive cleaning acids won't cause problems on clear-coated, catalyzed paint systems.

Use caution when using acids around ANY metal!
                    Non-painted nuts, bolts, & parts fall into this category.
                    Items that are metal but feature coating processes that are not rubber, powdercoat, or paint should be avoided, too.
                    Many acids will ruin raw aluminum, zinc & gold-irridite coatings,and anodizing.

Another option is to look up 'fallout remover acid' via search engine and use one of those.
                    You'll see that these products utilize many different types of acids & surfactants.
                    Oxalic acid is commonly used product.

I'm not recommending you use lacquer thinner, but:
                    Use of lacquer to remove some types of stains is an old-school detailer's/body shop trick.
                    DO A TEST SPOT PRIOR TO USE ON A LARGE SCALE.
                    This solvent is very clean, meaning, it evaporates away, leaving virtually no residue.

It's considered HOT!- It is capable of melting/damaging certain materials.

Most plastics will discolor to white, or become gummy if exposed to lacquer thinner, so it's a product that you really shouldn't use until you've tried it out on some test/beater items.
                    It can remove stubborn oil-based stains that a water-based cleaner/degreaser cannot... Grease, oil, tar, etc.
                    If you can find some dry-cleaning solution, you're better off going that route.
                    Check your local laws to be certain that using it for the car is okay...
                    There are many cleaning items on the market that are designed for this type of cleaning, so definitely invest some time into researching those products.
                    In a nutshell, it's a clean solvent, it's strong, and it evaporates rapidly.
                    Therefore, if used sparingly, it does a nice job.
                    If you apply too much, it can dissolve upholstery glues, so you do not want to saturate any surface with it!
                    It safely cleans most rubber items.
                    Kevin Brown

Comment

Hey Kevin,

Just got back from a fishing trip and spotted your post. All I can say, like everyone else is: WOW! You did an awesome job as usual and that is what I have come to expect from you! Your attention to detail and your willingness to go the extra mile to solve a problem rather than simply giving up, speaks volumes about your character and your dedication to detailing.

Quite simply: You WALK the TALK!!

Tim
                      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Well, Kevin, i can say i am very impressed too.

I actually have the same truck ( slightly different model ), but I can't imagine a truck that is only 1 year old be that dirty and scratched up...

I am amazed at what is was like before as well as the detailled version...

Comment

wow, that is some amazing work!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
                            Thanks for the 'Wow'.

Do you think that posting of a detail on various forums is proper 'netiquette'?

I generally post here at MOL, and don't frequent many sites.
                            I am a member of Autopia, but visit only occasionally.
                            Same goes with a couple other sites.

Just wondering.
                            Is it a pretty friendly forum?
                            Input by you and others appreciated!
                            I don't see anything wrong with posting your work on other forums. I think they will appreciate it. That's why I suggested it.

It's a friendly forum. I think you'll get a similar response.
                            We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Rose View Post
                              ...But as usual, you worked your magic (more like a mix of smarts, experience, and many hours.) Your incredible talent shows through in all your work, however especially evident in this remarkable transformation of a worked work truck.

Your broad application of M105 and APC+ makes me proud! I was on the development team for the those two products and it makes me smile that someone like you is so passionate about projects that I worked on. I'll pass on your (very well done) write up to others on my team who will surely appreciate the good work you do and how you use these products.

Awesome work Kevin!
                              Thanks Jason!
                              My desire to do a better job is, in a way, due to guys like you.
                              I've always look upon the vehicles I detail as-if a guy like you is right there, inspecting my work.

Over the years, it's really motivated me to make things right.

Report...
                              New products are everything they should be. Send more.
                              Kevin Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
                                Report...
                                New products are everything they should be. Send more.
                                Who I need to kill to intercept the shipment?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');