• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isopropyl alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isopropyl alcohol

What, if any role does Isopropyl alcohol play in car detailing? I read about it a lot (on other forums) and never see anyone here talking about it. It seems (even diluted) like something harsh to be putting on your paint, but when (if at all) would I need to use such a product on my paint?
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

I'll use it once and a white mixed 1:1 to wipe off after I use a new polish to see if it removed swirls or filled. It should remove anything and everything from the surface of the paint.
    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
      I'll use it once and a white mixed 1:1 to wipe off after I use a new polish to see if it removed swirls or filled. It should remove anything and everything from the surface of the paint.
      Can you do that and not have to worry about harming the paint? After it is done, do you need to wash the area or any after care at all?

Comment

I'd like to hear what others have to say about that as well. I don't wash the paint after I use it figuring it evaporates away and doesn't leave anything behind but I'm not 100% sure. It does seem like it would be harsh and I wouldn't want to do it all the time.
        Scott

Comment

Scott,

Just to be clear, you would do this to ensure you are doing actual scratch/swirl removal, correct? Have you experienced a situation where you used isopropyl and it revealed the scratches/swirls to still be present after you thought you removed them?

Comment

Correct. No, I have not had swirls appear after I had thought I removed them. I guess it's more of a precautionary measure. I hear about different polishes filling but either I haven't used any or didn't notice the difference.
            Scott

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Alochol will not harm paint. However if you are letting it evaporate, then you haven't removed the oils from the paint (as they are redeposited).

I recommend using a body solvent similar to DuPont Prep Sol. Use two microfibers with a lot of nap. Use one to apply and aggitate the solvent and the other to wipe it off while still wet (to pick the oils up with it). If it flashes, all the oils lay back on to the paint's surface. I recommend wiping the surface two or three times to make sure all the oils have been removed.

You will be suprised at the amount of defect return that is possible (from all polishes).
                Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

The alcohol is useful if you plan on repainting a small area or cleaming off residue from decals.

Otherwise I'd advise a better cleaner.

Alcohol will also dry out your skin and the evaporation rate will dry quickly as you use it.

Quick Detailer or a car wash would probably work better than alcohol.

Comment

Originally posted by retrofinisher View Post
                    The alcohol is useful if you plan on repainting a small area or cleaming off residue from decals.

Otherwise I'd advise a better cleaner.

Alcohol will also dry out your skin and the evaporation rate will dry quickly as you use it.

Quick Detailer or a car wash would probably work better than alcohol.
                    A car wash, or Quick Detailer will not remove all fillers to reveal what the paint is really like. Alcohol is used to remove everything, and reveal what the paint really looks like.

When I'm working on a car, I'll do a test spot, and then wipe it down with something to remove all fillers. I mainly use a glass cleaner, and it works very well.

Alcohol has it's place within the detailers toolkit. I keep a bottle of it on hand, and use it to wipe down an area before I use any touch up paint.

Nick
                    2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
                    2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                    2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                    2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

I posted some comments about this topic somewhere in this thread...

1960 Corvette - How To Restore Single Stage Acrylic Lacquer Paint

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Great info in that thread. Thanks Mike.

Comment

I've used it to remove dried superglue from paint.
                          The Best Last Step, is the step backwards you take to admire your work!
                          Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                          If you use #7 on your car, you're not in good company... you're in GREAT company!

Comment

I use the 91% alcohol from Walmart to remove pine sap drips. Works like a charm on fresh OR old drips. You'll need to reapply LSP on that spot after using.
                            Heatgain (Gary)
                            The Irate Magistrate
                            Neutral & Detached

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');