• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to get your Detailing business going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to get your Detailing business going?

Well to sum it all up, i quit my stuiped job (at a grocery store) to do detailing. I have one guy thats pretty steady with cars each week. But what are some good stragadies to get a detailing business booming and have a good amount of customers each week? I did craigs list but what else have you guys done?
    Meguiars=FTW

HMD - 2nd Year & Running Strong

Re: Best way to get your Detailing business going?

My dad works in the auto industry and for him and his friends, word of mouth is one of the biggest ways of growing a business. One person will come and buy a car or something and tell all their friends about the lot, and they all show up and do the same...

I'd recommend taking your time and doing a good job and reminding that one steady person to tell other people about you. And they'll tell some more, and so on.

Comment

Provide your current clients with an incentive to refer more business to you. After every detail I place a thank you card on the dash that also has a referal coupon attached. Both the current client and new client get $10 off any of my detail packages (which only equals about a 5-7% discount) I let my clients refer as many as they want, but only one discount per service.

It was mentioned on a previous thread as well, but a simple website is also a great tool. Then use google adwords to advertise on the cheap.
      Forever New
      Mobile Detailing
      Jacksonville, FL

Comment

Ive noticed leaving flyers on car isnt that good of an Idea, for one reason, would you want to leave your car with someone you dont know? Target your friends, and your parents friends. Try to pick out the people who care for their car.

Dont expect to get customers the next day, it takes a very long time to get some kind of business at all. Hell I gave out papers saying free details and still never got a bite.

Comment

Let me congratulate you on quitting. :0) .. now Im gonna share with you a marketing idea Ive been working on...

Ive made up a flyer explaining my detailing and other services that I provide in my business.. But ive also made a spot on the flyer where i will have an agent code#. Any one bringing in the flyer will recieve 10% off from any of my services.....

As for the agent c0de#...I will be finding locals who want to earn extra cash by handing out flyers....How they get paid is.''They are assigned a code#...anyone who brings in a flyer to get a service.....also earns the agent 10% of the entire service fee paid by the person returning their flyer with their agent code# on it..

I came up with this marketing idea because I know that when you offer a discount, people are more likley to come to you and

when you get people to hand out flyers,,,theyre more likely to hand them out and not toss them, when they know that the flyer has to be redeemed for them to get paid...

I dont know if this will work as good as I planned but its worth a shot right...

Originally posted by Hoffmann21 View Post
          Well to sum it all up, i quit my stuiped job (at a grocery store) to do detailing. I have one guy thats pretty steady with cars each week. But what are some good stragadies to get a detailing business booming and have a good amount of customers each week? I did craigs list but what else have you guys done?

Comment

build aliances, find the following: Body Shop, Window Tinter, PDR/Paint Touch up guy, Carpet Cleaner, Maid Service. Each is an excellent source for refferals. Just make sure the people in your network are total professionals in their field. You pay them $20 for each referal and they pay you the same when you refer someone to them.

Stay away from the yellow pages, they are very expensive and you will end up working 4-5 days a month to pay for your ad. To jump start your business I would do a 3 month Val-Pac mailer.

approach anyone selling a car and explain how a $400 extreme detail will increase the sales price by at least $500 plus it will sell much faster.

There is a TON of business out there, you just have to go get it.

Comment

Congrads on starting to take the major jump into entrepreneurship! This could be lots of fun for you should you make the right moves!

I think a good way to look at starting a detailing business or any business is to first look at your experiences, both skill and business wise.

An alarming number of detailing businesses fail for several good reasons so to be a success rather then a statistic, make sure to do an honest evaluation of your own abilities and assets!

1. Do you have experience running a business? While this is not a must...those that have experience or a business education are far more likely be a success! Now this does not mean you need a MBA as real world experience can be of far greater value. The most successful detailer are well versed within the art of business...if you look at the most successful detailers in the country...they are business people first...detailers second!
              2. What level is your skill base at? Can you compete with top level professional detailers?
              3. What kind of start up funds do you have? Enough to sustain you until your business is covering its own expenses along with your bills? If money is tight (and it is for many people these days) maybe keep a part time job to help at paying the bills until your venture takes off.
              4. Make sure to build yourself a business plan. This plan will be your road map...when you get busy at building your business its important to be able to look at that plan to make certain you are making the right decisions that you intended to make! This may be a work in progress as you learn and expand! Business plans can be novels or basic...my current plan includes our mission statement, overview of our services, the services we desire to add, an outline of our ideal client, a marketing plan, a sales plan that outlines our detailing audits and our hourly, weekly, monthly and year end monetary goals!
              5. Mentors - I can not stress the importance of surrounding yourself with the right kind of people! Mentors took me from being a local detailer to doing jobs worldwide. To this day...the right people within my personal and business life is at the center of my successes over challenges we/I face within life and business both!

The above is just a small sampling of what you need to be thinking about...the marketing, sales and systems within your venture will naturally need to be addressed also but for now....I would take a hard look at the above and then build your venture from that point!
              Renny Doyle
              Attention To Details
              "Detailers of Air Force One"
              www.detailingsuccess.com

Comment

I would work towards the goal of high end work. It is better to detail one car for $600 than 3 or 4 and make the same amount.

Comment

I'm about to start doing detailing here soon, just about done getting all my Meg supplies together for interior and exterior detailing. So I'm new here but a very avid young entrepreneur. I admire you quitting so that you can work for yourself rather than someone else!

I'd have to agree with most on here in that 'word of mouth' is the best advertising. Why not let people advertise for you!? It won't take any of your time or money to do so. When they pull up to their friends/family/car club and their car is insane, they're going to tell them about you. If you've done great quality work, they'll brag and give your contact info to them. The cars you detail will advertise for you.

Many times I take a step back and put myself in a potential customer's shoes. If I were them, what would I want... ease of contact (phone, email addy, website), catering to special needs/wants. Maybe a thread in a forum of their work done so I can actually see the befores and afters to compare quality? Craigslist is a great idea. I get pissed when people put flyers on my car though. It's a good idea I guess, but I hate them and I'll never respond. lol

Comment

I started a detailing business recently. For me it's a side gig since I already have an awesome 9-5pm job. I priced my packages after checking around to see what others charged. Also you have to ask yourself, what is "my work" worth? High volume shops rarely do as good of a job as a private detailer does. They spend 15-20min on a Basic wash & wax and I spend 3-4 hrs. Thats why I charge $75 and they can charge $30. They run the car through a machine wash with brushes, dry it off, spray some wax (blue coral NOT Meguiars) on it and buff it. That does NOT even compare to what my customer gets in the 3-4hrs I spend on their car.

As far as advertising goes. I first came up with a name (which was pretty hard because most of them were taken). Then I made business cards. The secret to my advertisement is talking. I'm what you call a "people person" so I talk to anyone and everyone. For example, next time you're pumping gas and someone pulls up on the opposite side from you. Instead of avoiding eye contact. Make eye contact, compliment his/her car (if it's nice), and ask him/her who takes care of the car (washing, waxing, etc). Bam! You have an opportunity to hand them a business card and tell them about your business. It's that easy. Anywhere and everywhere you go don't be shy to spark a conversation with people and mention what you do.

Shoot I was getting a haircut last night and the lady cutting my hair told me she was new to the area. I told her about my business to which she responded by saying she had a guy detail their cars where she moved from. I told her about my business, and before I knew it she was asking me for a card and for extra's to give out to customers.

Comment

Congrads on the new Biz...its fun to see a new business grow and prosper! Again...best wishes within your efforts!

Originally posted by hondamtrco4life View Post
                      I started a detailing business recently. For me it's a side gig since I already have an awesome 9-5pm job. I priced my packages after checking around to see what others charged. Also you have to ask yourself, what is "my work" worth? High volume shops rarely do as good of a job as a private detailer does. They spend 15-20min on a Basic wash & wax and I spend 3-4 hrs. Thats why I charge $75 and they can charge $30. They run the car through a machine wash with brushes, dry it off, spray some wax (blue coral NOT Meguiars) on it and buff it. That does NOT even compare to what my customer gets in the 3-4hrs I spend on their car.

As far as advertising goes. I first came up with a name (which was pretty hard because most of them were taken). Then I made business cards. The secret to my advertisement is talking. I'm what you call a "people person" so I talk to anyone and everyone. For example, next time you're pumping gas and someone pulls up on the opposite side from you. Instead of avoiding eye contact. Make eye contact, compliment his/her car (if it's nice), and ask him/her who takes care of the car (washing, waxing, etc). Bam! You have an opportunity to hand them a business card and tell them about your business. It's that easy. Anywhere and everywhere you go don't be shy to spark a conversation with people and mention what you do.

Shoot I was getting a haircut last night and the lady cutting my hair told me she was new to the area. I told her about my business to which she responded by saying she had a guy detail their cars where she moved from. I told her about my business, and before I knew it she was asking me for a card and for extra's to give out to customers.
                      Renny Doyle
                      Attention To Details
                      www.detailingsuccess.com

Comment

I am starting my business next year. I plan on being professionally trained. Yea I know it costs bucks, however the training is what sets you apart from 90% of the other detailers. You will be able to charge more, and you will be able to tackle problems the other guys can't. the word will get around that your an expert and then you can raise your prices again. I wold rather detail one car a day and make $300 for six hours work than do three quick details for $99 each and spend 8-10 hours. (including driving time)

What I am saying is invest in good equipment and seek the best training.

Comment

I started my business a year ago after I bought my Bird because I needed money to fix it. My business was slow I made tons of flyers that I went around to banks and realators offices but that was when the economy started to go down hill. I now have just started to get new customers and it all started by me being on a Mustang Mach1 specific site and I posted some pics of my Mach1 all meguiarized and I got a PM froma guy wanting me to detail his Mach and he lives 30min from me. Then after that he said a buddy of his needed a exterior detail and so i detailed that last friday and now that guys nephew calls me up and wants Infiniti exterior detailed. Sometimes the cusomer if they like the detail they will tell friends how good your work is and then your business starts booming. I have also tried to sell my services the place that I work at for my main job which is a car wash/lube. I told my boss what I do and what I can help my own work place out but they said I was a little expensive. Good quality work pays off, also go to gated communities and post flyers up.
                          Alex
                          1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
                          1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
                          1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

You are wise...picking the right training can cut the learning curve greatly! Time is what is expensive and mistakes within the art of detailing or spendy business, marketing and sales mistakes can cost you even more!

I have owned several businesses over the years within several industry...detailing being one of them. I attended college, have attended several continual education seminars, countless market courses and a number of sales training clinics...I am a student of life and business. I guess my point is that I look at any education I can gain as an investment vs. a cost.

Again you are smart to take action and gain knowledge from others...and continue to visit MOL...its an education within itself!

You may also desire to look into SCORE in your area. For anyone looking to grow a business, this is worth a look!

Happy detailing all,

Originally posted by gww35 View Post
                            I am starting my business next year. I plan on being professionally trained. Yea I know it costs bucks, however the training is what sets you apart from 90% of the other detailers. You will be able to charge more, and you will be able to tackle problems the other guys can't. the word will get around that your an expert and then you can raise your prices again. I wold rather detail one car a day and make $300 for six hours work than do three quick details for $99 each and spend 8-10 hours. (including driving time)

What I am saying is invest in good equipment and seek the best training.
                            Renny Doyle
                            Attention To Details
                            www.detailingsuccess.com

Comment

Idk about anyone else, but I started out with the EcoPod, from here.
                              Buy high quality car detailing supplies including car wax, polish and full auto detailing kits at Chemical Guys today!

Grabbed a few things for interiors @ Walmart, and door to door to the local businesses. " hey! I'm Zack, with CleanSquad, auto detailing, .came to see if any of you guys wanted your car or truck done?"
                              It's slow. Many said "not today, but payday is Friday, gotta card?" I passed out so many damn cards it's crazy. But each day, I'd get 2 or 3 for just a wash n wax with the EcoPod. I Made it a point to do a few little extra things for them, and did an awesome job for them....following week, they'd call or one of their co workers did...as mentioned earlier, word of mouth. On days that I didn't get any calls I'd still be out and at it around 9 am going to all the oilfield companies and such...many of their from office staff don't get there until around 9 am. Most of then require you to take credit cards ( at least around here, so they can pay with their company card) so I got the square and came back at them. Now I'm in the process of setting up different companies for different days. My first company wanted me to do it on Wednesdays, every other week. This is what I charge them. It may or may not work in your area, I guess that all depends. But I charge $50 for hand wash n wax ( trucks vans n SUV's) then anything else is extra. My Wednesday place has 4 trucks, I charge total $85/truck for the following
                              * hand wash n wax
                              * windows
                              * vacuum
                              * basic interior wipe down.
                              * bug removal
                              * spot removal.

Alot of that is worth well more than $85 a truck but it's only really bad the first time...after that its just general maintainance. And it's guaranteed money. they also tip really well. From there, it's all referrals and word of mouth. Do a bad *** Job and they'll tell the world.

I stay the hell away from car dealerships. Maybe I just had a bad experience but for me, they want a masterpiece for free. They'll keep you busy on slow days but it just wasn't worth the headache, for me.hope this helped at all. I'm sure there are ways I can tighten it up but it's working so far. I also leave a business on their dash, when doing individuals cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');