• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tacky paint and white liquid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tacky paint and white liquid

I just started work on an early 2000's white honda accord this morning. The lady told me that she frequented local car washes so i expected sloppy work to begin with. I could tell there was no wax on the car when i began washing, at least none that seemed like normal wax. Washing the car was troublesome, it was not dry so much as the paint was almost soft, is the best way to describe it. I just finished drying with an absorber, synthetic shammy, and the paint was even worse, the feel was tacky, slimy, just weird, the when i went to ring out my rag the water was a creamy white, somewhat greenish color almost as if any wax was coming off with the water or the color itself was being removed, but thats practically impossible. My shammy was clean, the car was rinsed well, the water wasn't soapy coming out of the rag. Has anyone experienced this before, i'm about to clay the car now and go with some scratch-x on trouble spots, hopefully it will be less weird. Thanksyou

Peace

Re: Tacky paint and white liquid

Weird!?!

Overspray maybe?
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Could it be spray wax residue from the car washes she goes to?
      My Car!

Comment

Honda's in the past, have used single stage for white paints. This could be what you were seeing.

Nick
        2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
        2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
        2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
        2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

I agree with Nick. It probably is SS paint and your shammy is picking up oxidized paint.

Comment

Originally posted by new2detailing View Post
            I agree with Nick. It probably is SS paint and your shammy is picking up oxidized paint.
            It really does sound like oxidation to me. I just did a white Accord a couple weeks ago. The paint was soft but turned out beautiful in the end. Claying should resolve the problem.

Andy
            Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
            Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by 101impala View Post
              It really does sound like oxidation to me. I just did a white Accord a couple weeks ago. The paint was soft but turned out beautiful in the end. Claying should resolve the problem.

Andy
              Andy, you're not allowed to disagree Go back and read the forum rules
              2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
              2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
              2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
              2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
                Andy, you're not allowed to disagree Go back and read the forum rules
                Not disagreeing!!!!!!

Just my input...?

Andy
                Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by 101impala View Post
                  Not disagreeing!!!!!!

Just my input...?

Andy
                  I think he was kidding

Comment

Originally posted by Lumadar View Post
                    I think he was kidding
                    I know, I know!!!!!

Andy
                    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Well after going back and claying, it still didn't fix the problem, but at that point i could drag my fingers across the paint and pick up white dust, and i was worried. But then i tried a little spot of scratch x on the hood and just worked it in a little bit, when i wiped it away i was just flabergasted. There was some almost brown film over the entire car, i think it may well have been an almost complete layer of oxidized paint because my pad was a little bit white. So after that i tested it with a bit of #6 and it worked well, all she wanted was a wash and wax. After that it was beautiful and shiny, but one of the weirdest things i'd ever seen. The spot i tested my shop light was blue in the clean section and brown on the other half. Freaky

Peace

Comment

Andy
                        Andy M. Moderator

Comment

unfortunatey i took no pictures , she was an older friend of ours and wanted to get her car back asap so i just got right to it. and since i ran into the unexpected problems i wasn't sure how long it would take me to fix it.

Peace

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');