• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used 409 on Dashboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used 409 on Dashboard

So my friend who loves his Infiniti G35 decided to clean his dashboard. With 409 & a paper towel.

I'm new to all this detailing as well....but I know not to use stuff like 409 on my dashboard. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

I'm actually helping him clean his interior & leather seats as well. Some minor detailing (i got the detailing bug thanks to MOL )

Question: How harmful can 409 on the dashboard be? Do you recommend I simply use the QID to clean it out? Or go the extra step and use #39 (Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner)?

Mike Phillips has mentioned that the QID has a light cleaning ability to it.

Re: Used 409 on Dashboard

409 is harmful if the dashboard is not protected with a quality vinyl/plastic protectant afterwards. QID has some cleaning properties that gently lift stains without drying out the plastic/vinyl. Unlike household plastics, the dashboard is exposed to extreme temperature changes, UV rays, and other elements that can degrade the plastc quickly if it is not protected. Formula 409 is very harsh and can strip the UV protection from the plastic.

Comment

409 and fantastic will take off paint if it is wet in just a few minutes.

It has A bunch of strong hydrocarbon solvents, also leaves a residue.

Too much 409 can even cause some stressed interior parts to break or craze.

It also can soften some plastics if used wet.

Lots of other better cleaners- window cleaner is safer than 409 but should only be misted lightly.

I imagine something like INTERIOR QUICK DETAILER or wet cloth with mild car wash dilluted would be suitable if you have nothing else.

If you have a little crud build up, Simple Green can help if used moderately, you will want to clean off the surface again to remove the residues left.

Keep in mind that cleaning paper cloth can be abrasive, so cloth is better.

NO 409

Comment

409 is bad on plastic in cars.

I remember in high school i used some because i was out of car-specific cleaner and it made the paint come of the plastic on a door panel. Bad stuff for interiors, probably cars in general.
        2011 Ford Mustang GT Cali Special
        2012 Kia Sorento EX

Comment

Originally posted by retrofinisher View Post
          Keep in mind that cleaning paper cloth can be abrasive, so cloth is better.

NO 409
          Good point. I personally use microfiber cloths (Target brand) on the interior. No paper towels!

Comment

Originally posted by ajb39oh View Post
            409 is bad on plastic in cars.

I remember in high school i used some because i was out of car-specific cleaner and it made the paint come of the plastic on a door panel. Bad stuff for interiors, probably cars in general.
            What? The paint came off of the plastic? On the interior? Do you mean the exterior?

Thanks for the input.

Comment

QID Would be a fine start. I would be more worried about putting some kind of a dressing back on it, hopefully it would get some oils back into the vinyl if it needed it.

Something like Nxt Tech Protectant or Natural Shine are usualy available in most stores.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Get any 409 residue off as soon as possible. Then put some proper protectorant on there pronto. Good Luck.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Yes, the interior. It was a 1987 Dodge D-50 Pickup. The light grey interior paint came off part of the dash and part of a door panel.
                  2011 Ford Mustang GT Cali Special
                  2012 Kia Sorento EX

Comment

I used lemon pledge on my 73 Duster's dash board continually.
                    It made the dash look and smell great.
                    About a year or two later the dash started to develop cracks.

Not sure if Mequiar's was around back then however they are now and Meguiar's products only touches my car's now!
                    The ultimate quik detailer is second to none

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');