• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing with the new camera....I have a LOT to learn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing with the new camera....I have a LOT to learn!

Old camera...

New camera...

I really don't know how to use this thing yet, but I can definitely see more detail potential with the new camera vs the old one, but I need to learn how to use it a little better first
    The old camera's picture was taken last year, new one tonight. 3rd one was thrown in there just because I liked it
    2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
    2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Re: Playing with the new camera....I have a LOT to learn!

Cool Nick! Good luck with your new toy!

Andy
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Here's another comparison shot. Why does the new camera come out looking so soft

Old...

New...

Comment

Maybe you had the van just detailed in the old camera picture and you are comparing it with today. I see light is a big difference between pictures

Comment

Originally posted by yalerd View Post
          Maybe you had the van just detailed in the old camera picture and you are comparing it with today. I see light is a big difference between pictures

Just washed it about 2 hours ago

Comment

Hmmm, it looks a little out of focus. Could you have focused on a reflection of something and not on the van it's self? Maybe try some shots of something not reflective. Make sure for right now you are shooting on "P" or "Auto" mode.

It will take a bit of messing around with but I'm sure you'll love it.
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
              Just washed it about 2 hours ago

Truck looks good.....Who cleaned it up for you!

Andy
              Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
              Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by 101impala View Post
                Truck looks good.....Who cleaned it up for you!

Andy

Drive through car wash baby!

Comment

It looks to me that your old camera used some sort of filter - probably a polarizer.

If you look at the old, there is no reflection. The polarizing filters help reduce reflections and glare. In the new picture, there is a huge reflection because there is no filter.

If you take a look at the lens cap, it should give the size of filter you will need in mm's. I'm sure there are a few good camera stores that sell filters in your area.

Don't cheap out on filters. The whole point of a nice lens is to create a better picture. By using an inferior filter, you are wasting your money on that nice lens.
                  Chris
                  Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
                    Drive through car wash baby!
                    haha
                    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Nick,

1st: http://www.123di.com/default_dpr.htm

2nd: dpreview.com, has good forums

3rd: Softness can be due to many reasons. Most common are:

a) Bigger is not necessarily better. It is all about pixel density.

b) In camera settings.

c) Variation of b: Manufacturer deciding they would rather leave result soft and not lose detail by oversharpening to you and leave decision to you do you want to sharpen.

d) Like they said, focusing.

e) Kit DSLR lens are often softer than lens in good non-DSLR camera.

Try working on b, c and d.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Hey Nick,

Firstly, looking at your EXIF data, your are using way too open (numerically small ) aperture. A couple things to keep in mind, a small sensor in a point and shoot is very different that a sensor in your Rebel. The PS at F4 is really like F16 on a DSLR. The numerically higher the number the more that will be in focus. Do not go above f16 with a crop sensor unless you are shooting macro. Otherwise, distortion sets in.

Secondly, you are using too slow of shutter speed. The rule is that your shutter speed should be 1/focal length. For example, shooting at 50 mm you should be at least using 1/60 as a shutter speed.

Third, DSLR's often use an anti aliasing filter to stop harsh reflections. This is quite different than a polarizer that you have to use at right angles to the sun or they simply do not work. Your Sony did not have a polarizer as that filter has a completely different look to the shot than what you have. This AA filter may cause pictures to look soft. Comapnies are notorious for boosting the sharpness in PS cameras. With DSLR, some Post Processing is almost expected. Use the Canon DPP software that came with the camera. For now, shoot in Large Jpeg and later shoot in Raw mode.

Finally, do not take this the wrong way, but it is not the camera.

Here is what I suggest, go into Av mode and select f11. In Av mode the camera will adjust the shutter for you. BUT you still have to have a shutter speed of 1/focal length. So if you are shooting at 35 mm, you need at least 50 mm (crop sensor camera's use a 1.6 sensor so you must compensate). I assume you bought the kit lens but even if it has image stabilization, keep the higher shutter speeds. What if you can not get a shutter speed that high? Then increase your ISO. In the sun, you will use mostly iso 100, but under heavy cloud or overcast skies, depending on the lens, you may need iso 400 or higher. Be careful as over iso 800 on the Rebel, noise starts to appear in the photo. If you still can not get a high enough shutter speed, you may need to go to f8.

There is a LOT to it. I have been at it for a while and still have a lot to learn. You will get the hang of it. When you do, there is NO comparison to the picture quality of your new Rebel versus your old Sony. Quite simply: the Rebel will slaughter it!
                        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

WOW Tim!

When you do, there is NO comparison to the picture quality of your new Rebel versus your old Sony. Quite simply: the Rebel will slaughter it!

Andy
                          Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Just an idea but look into taking a class. I'm sure local camera stores in your area or even a tech school offers a short class. Something for just a day or two will give you a huge head start on learning.

I know... I'll teach you to use a camera and you can teach me to use a rotary.
                            Scott

Comment

I know... I'll teach you to use a camera and you can teach me to use a rotary.
                              me too x 2!!!!!!!

Andy
                              Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');