• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preventing Hard Water Spots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventing Hard Water Spots?

We have terrible water in my town, which has a separate water supply from the county. One county away, Loudoun, the water is much less prone to spotting.

Looking for a solution. I have to use three chamois, because the car has to be dried immediately.

Waht do you use and has anyone tried this method I found on the web:

"Use a mixture of about 1/2 cup Borax to 5 gallons of water and rinse your car.
    The Borax is a water softener and will eliminate hard water spotting. Works best
    with warm to hot water since the Borax is a powder. You may also mix in a 5 gallon
    bucket and rinse that way by making the mix and dumping the mix onto your car."

Re: Preventing Hard Water Spots?

Maybe getting a filter and installing it.

Comment

I agree with Francis, installing a spot less filter on the hose or even a stand alone for the house is going to be your best bet.

Ryan
      Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

My area has pretty hard water and a membrane type filter won't help much. I go through four or five drying towels and use compressed air to blow out the nooks and crannies. Even at that, it still takes a little QD to fine tune things afterwards. I think either Gold Class or NXT (or both) have water softening agents incorporated into their formula. I've never tried Borax, but it just hits me the wrong way for some reason......maybe it's thinking of all those mule droppings getting on my paint

Mort

Comment

I seem to remember on the old forum, that someone had the same problem. His solution was to go to Wal-mart and he bought a RV filter kit. It was around $50.00 and he said it was doing the job. It may be worth your while to check it out.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

I have the same problem at work with hard water and agree with Mort Corey about using a quik detailer to remove the water spots.

I use shampoo plus to wash the vehicles then after rinsing I take off the nozzle and let the water flow off starting from the top down so as to make drying faster and easyer and then I still have water spots to deal with, so next I use last touch diluted 1:1 to remove the water spots and it leaves an almost waxed finish.
            ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
            You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
            Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

I also have hard water. I use the Mr. Clean car washer to rinse since it has a built in softener. Makes drying easier for sure.
              2011 Ford Mustang GT Cali Special
              2012 Kia Sorento EX

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');