• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking at buying a car cover from Cali Car Cover need advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at buying a car cover from Cali Car Cover need advice.

I was on Cali Car Cover and I found a couple of covers that I like. I like the model stormweave, and custom weave model. I am mainly looking for the best protection against door dings. I will be parking at college with my new Mach 1 and I want the best door ding protection cover I can get. Any suggestions are welcome.
    Alex
    1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
    1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
    1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Re: Looking at buying a car cover from Cali Car Cover need advice.

Well, none are going to be great....

I have all the samples from Covercraft, which uses the same fabric as far as I can tell, and none are real thick as far as padding.

I believe there is a 4 layer one, and one or two 3 layer ones... those will be the best. I bought a 3-layer cover, and its a great cover, but not real thick.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

do the car cover companies make a custom cover for your needs?
      Alex
      1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

Custom as far as?

Comment

Like to your specs that you need in the enviroment the car is being parked in. not just the elements but other cars park next to you. A custom cover that is really got great door ding protection. I was reading cali car covers and a couple of there car covers offer protection but the cover in only to layers thick. I was looking through there site and I could not find a area that you can ask them to make one special. Do you know a company that can make one for a specific protection (door dings in my case).
          Thanks for the help. I hope I am makeing sense.
          Alex
          1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

Havent seen that yet... would be nice to see something like that.

Comment

Thanks for your help. I am still looking. I am very careful on where I park my cars.
              Alex
              1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

No car cover that I know of protects from door dings. In all honesty, that's not what a car cover is made for. If you know someone that can sew, you could try and have them sew in a foam pad or something...

Comment

Yea a car cover isn't going to do anything to protect from door dings. Your best bet is to find a place and take up two spots, I do it all the time in places I know people don't care. If its a permit parking place only, its probably against to rules so make sure to check that out. Your other option is to find somebody you know and trust and park right next to them. One of you guys back into the spot and the other pull in straight and park as close as you can to each other. That way you can both still get in your drivers door and there is plenty of room on the other sides of the cars for people opening their doors.

Just a couple thoughts...

Ryan
                  Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have two friends from high school going there so hopefully they have classes the same days I do. That is probably my best bet. Or Like Tyler said I could get the car cover and have someone sew in some foam padding. I like both of the ideas. thanks for your help.
                    Alex
                    1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

Originally posted by 03mach1 View Post
                      Or Like Tyler said I could get the car cover and have someone sew in some foam padding.
                      I did that to a cover and it worked great. I sewed a pocket on the outside and slid the foam into it and stitched it on the end to keep it in. If I had to wash the cover I could cut the couple stitches on the end of the pocket to remove the foam before washing so it would dry easier.
                      too many cars, not enough time.....

Comment

at school i pick out the cleaner cars that tend to park the same places everyday and are still there when i leave to park next to..... and also i like to park in spots where the right side is a car that is backed in and the left side is a car that is straight in so that both passenger doors are towards your car..... seems to work pretty good.... and then when there are spots next to the wall i like those too and also the first spots in the isles..... but then i sometimes worry if bad drivers would clip my car on some of the first spots.... im pretty damn paranoid..... i need help.....

Comment

ive seen on a website selling a magnetic door padding that you stick on door after you park and it protects the door from dings.... but i'd imagine it putting lots of swirls on the door from excessive contact with the paint.... so i guess everytime you park in a undesirable spot you can take out your QD and wipe the door down and then stick the pad on.... hahaha

Comment

best solution..... buy a beater to drive to school and leave your mach 1 at home..... until you detail the beater to the point where it looks like new then sell it at higher price than what you bought it for and then repeat the process again.....

Comment

My friends ans i are going to be parking together but I will be riding my Kawi zzr to school also. It saves gas. But I have no choice but to drive it. we have the campus police so I am going to talk to them and ask them were the good places are to park.Thanks for the help.
                              Alex
                              1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');