• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Great 9 Wax Shoot Out!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Great 9 Wax Shoot Out!

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
    You can apply ANY paste wax by hand.
    Only if you enjoy eczema.

There's only a very few waxes designed to applied by the bare-hand method safely. They are made with cosmetic grade ingredients to cause minimal skin problems.
    Paul Marmarinos
    Flawless Prestige Car Detailing
    "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Comment

Can anyone show me the advantages to "applying by hand"? I'm not talking about opinion evidence but some concrete scientific data which shows the advantages.

If there are none, why would I want to do it?
      ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
        instead of blaming the users, maybe there really is something wrong with the product.
        Thanks Chris, that has been our position since we requested a sample in the first reply we made in another forum then eventually into this forum. With up to 19 different raw materials used in this formula and with 8 different suppliers anything is possible. With each batch we make a test application of wax to a panel and within 10 seconds it is buffed and it must buff up quickly to pass inspection. We are re-ordering raw materials constantly and must take the word of the suppliers that everything is freshly made and is the right materials. We do see discrepancies from time to time regarding colour, aroma and thickness from one shipment to the next. We can tell when something is shipped to us that is completely wrong and we deal with it fast. This just maybe a case that missed our watchful eyes and that was our second thoughts, but not having a sample we started to inspect all raw materials and with some requested current comparison samples from the suppliers to double check consistency. That all took a little over a month to complete. We found some unusual things, that of coding dates that where way passed their expected shelf life, which now have been updated.

A few other things have also been done directly related to the poor results obtained. Two months ago we pulled from the selves all current Concours Red waxes we hold for supplying our online store. Replaced with freshly made waxes. Replaced electronic weight measuring scales to newer models. Reduced the sizes of each batch made to minimize inconvenience to over all customers if the problem has not been fixed.

We have received many 100's of favorable comments over the years which all we can do is thank the customer. But, when it comes to a customer who is not getting very good results we do go the distance and try our very best to resolve just what is happening. Lastly, our in-shop wax maker who has been making all of our waxes for 9 years is a little gun shy at the moment because he feels real bad about how everything has played out.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
          Can anyone show me the advantages to "applying by hand"? I'm not talking about opinion evidence but some concrete scientific data which shows the advantages.
          My take posted here based upon hands-on experience.... (no pun intended)

To experience the practice first hand, (no pun intended), and then be able to have a valid opinion on the topic?

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

In August 2004 we received an email asking the very same questions. I replied with the following and that e-mail reply showed up on another forum. There is not much scientific information on wax other than it protects. But subjectively there are volumes. Really, just do and use what works best for you. I like bare hand waxing for finding and removing those sharp little grains of sand that would otherwise be trapped in an applicator and pushed all over the surface.

"Applying wax with the bare hands is not a new technique, it was used in the 60's, and I suspect that it had been used by people at sometime or another over the last 100 years. It just produces the best possible look and protection. Wax is at its very best when the wax from the original jar or tin is in that same concentrations. The hands are non-porous and no carrier
            solvents will be absorbed. What is in the jar or tin is now in the proper concentrations on the finish. Bare hand waxing will benefit any wax-based product by any manufacture. In the right hands it could make the difference between a good job and an excellent job. If you are like me, waxing the finish is the final step and the most rewarding. One coat of wax is not enough and ten coats seems reasonable. We are all guilty of over using wax
            applicators to the point that we have to wring out the liquid solvent collected every once in a while to continue getting a good mix. And most of us seal the moist wax applicator back in the jar or tin to be ready for the next round of waxing. I am not saying that any one particular technique is for everyone, I just know what I like and find rewarding. If you wish to use a wax applicator, keep a few extra on hand so the wax is applied full
            strength and not diluted with the carrier solvent. Too much carrier solvent in an applicator pad could easily remove some of the wax as well. Massaging in and spreading thinly by the bare hands has its benefits too. You could do a test right now, you must have a high-end wax in your collection of car
            care products. Just use the finger tips first to apply a small amount to the driver's front top fender. Work it in and massage it around, let it stand. Slowly you will see a large amount of wax attaching to the surface. 1000s of small specks of carnauba and other waxes depending on the manufacture's formula. Buff with a clean towel and repeat in a few minutes. A major bonus
            to many of the waxes coming to market in the last few year is the use of extremely low (VOC) volatile organic content solvents, many of these solvents are used in the skin care industry and have been adapted with a multitude of different high boiling points and KB ratings. In other words don't bare hand a wax that is stinky."

Comment

From all I have read, there are no advantages to the car; indeed, hand-application apparently makes it more difficult to apply thin layers. Even Paul Dalton has adopted the foam applicator for wax application.

It's just that some people really enjoy application by hand. As one person has noted in this thread, they find it therapeutic and relaxing. Here's a video on applying wax by hand:

I've never tried it myself, but perhaps one day I'll have to get myself a tub of Victoria Red just so I can say that I have done it.

Cheers,
              Al
              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
              --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                It's just that some people really enjoy application by hand. As one person has noted in this thread, they find it therapeutic and relaxing. Here's a video on applying wax by hand:
                Now that is something that makes PERFECT sense. You can't argue with personal preference.

Most of us here find detailing (in and of itself) very relaxing, but most of my friends think I'm nuts. They say... "why would you want to work so hard on your days off".

I have no problem with the hand application, I only take exception with "claims" made about things like hand application, superior looks and outlandish durability.
                ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Now that is something that makes PERFECT sense. You can't argue with personal preference.

Most of us here find detailing (in and of itself) very relaxing, but most of my friends think I'm nuts. They say... "why would you want to work so hard on your days off".

I have no problem with the hand application, I only take exception with "claims" made about things like hand application, superior looks and outlandish durability.
                  i couldnt agree more with you
                  Nick
                  Tucker's Detailing Services
                  815-954-0773
                  2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

This thread is getting a little bit strange
                    Nick
                    Tucker's Detailing Services
                    815-954-0773
                    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                      This thread is getting a little bit strange
                      Like all "Wax Test Threads" that I've ever read or participated in, it's also going south. Last night one of our Moderators removed a post by a member due to the condescending tone of the post.

This is the norm for wax test threads or wax comparison threads, people tend to get too emotional over the topic and then feelings start to get hurt.

When the thread matures to this point it's time to remember,

It's just car wax folks... it's just car wax.

There's also a term we use behind the scenes that goes like this,

"Time to push away from the keyboard"

What this means is that instead of continuing to post when you feel out of control or you're posting to a thread that's going out of control, instead it's a better idea to simply push away from they keyboard and take a break.

Go for a walk, go wax your car, just don't dig yourself into a hole you don't want to be in.

We thank 3Fitty for conducting his tests and posting the results for discussion to our forum. This thread has pretty much ran its course and for now we're going to close it. Everyone is welcome to read the entire thread and afterwards make up your own mind about the results presented and the opinions shared.

Wax tests and comparisons tend to be interesting to all of us online enthusiasts but they also tend to end up in a heated argument that never results in anything positive or changing anybodys mind.

At the end of the day it's really going to come down to personal preference based upon real-world experience. That is in order to know which wax or paint sealant you like best, after researching and gathering information, the next best thing to do is actually purchase the product you're interested in and then go out into your garage and test them out on your car.

Then,

If you like it, then you obviously like how it applies and removes and it looks good in your eyes, if you use it often your car's paint will always look new because it's only when paint is neglected that it goes down hill.

This thread is now closed.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');