• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Great 9 Wax Shoot Out!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Great 9 Wax Shoot Out!

Originally posted by Joe's detailing View Post
    The only thing this test proves is there's not enough (dramatic) difference to say one's, better than the next..
    Um, I think that is what I wrote under the appearance section, no? However, if you are talking about application and removal and "feel" (slickness), there was a clear winner.

Sorry, if you don't like hearing that, but I have no stake in the outcome.
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Okay... now that I've replied to the posts, I have one MAJOR change to make in my results.

I wrote (last night) that Klasse SG was the worst in terms of feel (by a mile), which I am now amending.

It was NOT. It was tied with the third place group because I came to realize all the product was NOT fully removed after I put it on. I could not see any remaining product, but I'll tell you why I know it just didn't come off.

You can see from the photo's above, the Klasse pics are clear, super clear, but for whatever reason, there was still product on the paint that didn't come off. How do I know?

I re-read my PM exchange with lecchilo (who is a pro detailer and supplied the Klasse and uses it a lot) and he advised me of a "special" way to remove Klasse SG and he was 100% right. I went out this morning. Put all "second coats" on each area, removed with a clean MF (each area) and the Klasse area was so bad (not in terms of looks), but in terms of feel, that I decided to go over the Klasse area with a slightly damp (with QD) MF over the Klasse.

I felt the area again, and it was smooth. Not "super smooth" but equal to the other areas.

Lecchilo (Ivan) advised me through PM (before this test) that Klasse was a bit tough to remove but a bit of QD would make it come off like a dream and he was right.

So, I don't know how to really balance this.

It is not really fair to say, well Klasse came off super easy (because it does with the use of some QD and a MF towel). No other product needed that (or maybe the VWCR needs it as well).

So, my result would change in that I would say, all things being equal (dry MF towel being used to remove), the Klasse gets a 1 for removal. Using a bit of QD, it gets a 5. You decide.

Using a dry MF, it gets a 1 for feel (slickness). Using a bit of QD it ties with the other group.

In any event, I took a bunch of pics today which I will post tomorrow with some more findings. (Yes Kooz, I took notes today as well).

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's detailing View Post
        IMO. you selected the wrong color car for demonstration red or black or even dark blue, would of made this test achievable..
        Silver, or white just doesn't make test relevant...
        Google "Pinnacle" and "Silver car" and see what you read.

Plenty of "pros" who swear, "nothing makes silver shine like Souveran". Bunch of guys on autopia and autogeek.

But, just so we are clear... I actually agree with you, it's just that I'm not sure you understand what exactly you are saying (maybe you do, in which case you agree with Mike's thesis on this issue, which I whole heartedly accept), but at least one top pro, who might even be considered amongst the best in America disagree.

Comment

3Fitty-
          I really enjoy the test and think you did a great job and were fair in your test to all of the competitors. The only problem that I see is the amendment to the Klasse. When you spray the qd, the qd itself will make the surface a little slicker. Case in point, do a 50/50 on an unwaxed car and run your finger over the qd side and the the unwaxed side and you will notice a difference. Also, the majority of the qd's out there will offer just a little bit of protection by themselves. Even Meguiar's Quik Detailer (original one in the red bottle, not the ultimate) will make water bead even though they say it offers no protection.
          "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
            Having said that, if there is a signifigant difference between two products (ie: one looks terrible), I'm willing to bet you would see some small difference even over small spaces.
            I think most products look good the first few days so if you are looking for a terrible one you will not likely find it. Let's see how they look and bead about 2 months from now.
            Al
            ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Shine Shop View Post
              3Fitty-
              I really enjoy the test and think you did a great job and were fair in your test to all of the competitors. The only problem that I see is the amendment to the Klasse. When you spray the qd, the qd itself will make the surface a little slicker. Case in point, do a 50/50 on an unwaxed car and run your finger over the qd side and the the unwaxed side and you will notice a difference. Also, the majority of the qd's out there will offer just a little bit of protection by themselves. Even Meguiar's Quik Detailer (original one in the red bottle, not the ultimate) will make water bead even though they say it offers no protection.
              All very possibly true, but I cam to my conclusion (maybe even wrongly) because it was SO bad (on the Klasse side) it defied logic. In other words, there was NO way it could have been that bad to the feel, that the only explanation was that I did not get all the product off.

Did QD make that section feel "slicker", instead of the KSG itself, maybe, but even if it did, it still does no better than I tie with the pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunky View Post
                I think most products look good the first few days so if you are looking for a terrible one you will not likely find it. Let's see how they look and bead about 2 months from now.
                I will try my best to keep it updated, so keep reading this thread and we'll see, it could be that you are correct.

Comment

I also posted a link to this thread at another forum because I feel like there is a lot of information at that forum which runs contrary to things written here, so maybe some of our resident experts can comment.

The single biggest criticism of my methodology is that I used M80 before the LSP, which will have given NXT an advantage. Two things are stated:

1. The oils in the M80 caused bonding issues for sealants like Klasee and SCG's Nano and Barrier Reef and;

2. The "cleaners" in NXT removed this oils permitting it to adhere to the paint.

My response to this stuff (although admitedly I am far from an expert), is that I washed the hood after M80 and rinsed thoroughly as it was my intention to be starting with a fresh canvas.

Any thoughts on my methodology? Has the use of M80 compromised the test?

If so, how many pros use M80 and then continue to use an LSP (not always a Meg's product)? I'll but thousands have with great success.

Comment

Hey 3fitty, I've been reading throughout the post and eventhough there are a lot of variables in this test(s), I really enjoyed reading them and same goes to the comments from fellow forumers. So--- Keep em coming!!

Tim
                    Learning new things everyday

Comment

Yup,

An Alcohol wipe down before applying LSPs would have eliminated that claim.

Comment

Originally posted by daneZ_toda View Post
                        Yup,

An Alcohol wipe down before applying LSPs would have eliminated that claim.
                        Well, some guys use alcohol to check for fillers in a polish but I don't on account of information I've procured by some well respected people in the biz (and certainly wasn't going to do a entire hood alcohol wet down for a test).

In any event, one of the reasons I did not use Zaino in this test is that I did not want to wash my car with dish soap (as per zaino instruction) and I knew if I didn't I would have been told "well you can't use the results because your paint wasn't cleaned with dish soap".

At the end of the day, you do the best you can to run a fair test for the thousands of people who will read this thread and might not be pros. I think the vast majority will see the fairness and objectivity of my test. I'm just reporting what I see and feel.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
                          Joe,

I don't really know enough to debate the issue, but seeing as I only own a white and silver car, I did it on what I own and was not about to buy a new car to do a wax test.

Borrow a car....
                          Everyone has an opinion even experts .....
                          Joe's detailing (Since 2002)
                          ''We begin where the car wash Ends.''
                          (269)650-2242

Comment

*UPDATE*

So here are some update photos:

Application of second coat. I removed the tape, but control line easily visible (with my eye) so I followed the lines.

After wipe down, in garage:

Outdoor afters:

Findings will follow.

Comment

APPLICATION & REMOVAL:

Here are my thoughts after second application.

Victoria Wax Concours Red: 3 -> Maybe I'm getting used to it, seemed a bit easier than the first time around, still would be a chore to do a entire care with it.

Pete's 53 - Black Pearl Signature Paste Wax: 3.5 -> Same as before

Poorboy’s World Natty’s Blue: 2.5 -> Easier than first time but still a chore.

Surf City Nano Seal: 4 -> Easy to apply but same weird reaction as first time.

Surf City Barrier Reef: 4.5 -> Maybe went on easier and NO reaction. Strange that Nano Seal did it again, but BF did not.

Klasse Sealant Glaze: 5 -> Again, goes on beautiful and does something NO other product does. When you put it on a applicator pad, it actually "beads" on the pad. There is almost NO absorbtion into the pad just by putting it on the pad.

Poorboy’s World EX-P: 4 -> Same as before.

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax 845: 5 -> Love how it goes on and this product is growing on me.

Meguiar’s NXT 2.0 Tech Wax: 5 -> Simply amazing.

Removal:

Victoria Wax Concours Red: 5 -> Comes off really easy, just doesn't feel good after.

Pete's 53 - Black Pearl Signature Paste Wax: 4 -> Same as before.

Poorboy’s World Natty’s Blue: 5 -> Easy as pie.

Surf City Nano Seal: 3.5 -> Still a bit of work to remove but beter than the first time.

Surf City Barrier Reef: 3.5 -> Same as NS.

Klasse Sealant Glaze: 1 -> Using just an MF it gets a 1, if I used QD it would get a 5 but that is an unfair advantage so I stick to the 1.

Poorboy’s World EX-P: 4 -> Quite easy.

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax 845: 5 -> Came of easier than the first time and the feel is even better than after the first application. As I said, it is growing on me.

Meguiar’s NXT 2.0 Tech Wax: 5 -> Still the best collectively at putting on and taking off but just by a hair over Collinite 845.

So, for adding them together... here is how they score:

1. NXT 2.0 - 10/10

2. Collinite 845 - 10/10

3. PB's EX-P SCG - 8/10

4. Barrier Reef - 8/10

5. VWCR - 8/10

6. Pete's 53 7.5/10

7. PB's Natty Blue - 7.5/10

8. SCG Nano Seal - 7.5/10

9. Klasse SG - 6/10 (10/10 with use of QD for removal)

Comment

THE TOUCH TEST:

I am not going to post an "appearance test" winner after second coat, because I was able to view the hood in the sunlight and there is NO difference at all.

Maybe the surface area is not big enough, maybe it is the color of the car, but trust me when I tell you there is NO difference.

So, after the second coat, there are some mine changes to the "feel test".

Results:

1. NXT 2.0: 5/5 (TIE) Collinite 845: 5 -> Confirmed by 3 out of 4 "feelers". The NXT felt great, the same as it did after the first test (I don't think there was room for improvement) but the Collinite 845 feels just as good now. It was missing something after the first coat (a litte softness that NXT had, now it has it as well. Overall, I am really liking this product. Looks good, goes on easy, comes off easy and feels great. It's not replacing my NXT (not yet anyway) but so far I'd be very happy with it as an LSP. The only negative I can say about it, is that it smells horrendous (but to me that means nothing).

3. PB's Natty's Blue 4.5 - > Since the other two take the first two spots, Natty's Blue (like Collinite, got better than the pack). Smoother, slicker and softer. Just better. I HATE how this product goes on, but so far I like everything else about it, however, I tip my hat to any guys who detail entire cars with this stuff (by hand). NEVER in a million years would I do that with this product, it is just too much work.

4,5,6,7,8. They all get a 4/5: In no particular order.

SC Garage's Barrier Reef and Nano Seal
                                PB's EX-P
                                Pete's 53
                                Klasse SG

The feel fine. Very smooth and slick. However, when you compare them to the others, they lack a bit. I added KSG to this list because once you REALLY remove it, it feels fine (not like I originally wrote), but removing it is a chore.

9. Victoria's Wax Concours Red: 2 -> Anyone have an explanation for this? Sorry, but compared to the rest, it's just has a lousy feel.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');