• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Great 9 Wax Shoot Out!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Great 9 Wax Shoot Out!

Thanks for your work on this project. I can't wait to put my NXT 2.0 on.
    Rob A.
    '09 Kia Optima (Bronze Metallic)
    '07 Kia Optima (Gold)

Comment

Collinite 845, 476, and 915 are like a shell. It takes months for that stuff to wear off. During that time chance are you'd use the NXT three or four times. Though I find NXT a better looking wax all the way around.

Great test by the way. Keep us updated.

Comment

Originally posted by skylolow View Post
        Collinite 845, 476, and 915 are like a shell. It takes months for that stuff to wear off. During that time chance are you'd use the NXT three or four times. Though I find NXT a better looking wax all the way around.

Great test by the way. Keep us updated.
        Well that is one of the things I aim to find out. Time will tell.
        ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Great test 3Fitty! I was out of town this weekend but happy I caught the thread.

Pretty much all the wax tests that I have seen show that there is almost no difference in appearance. Dave KG did a great one with some high end waxes and it showed the same thing. So if I can get the same look with a $20 wax vs a $100 why not. Plus in some cases the less expensive wax is easier to use.

I guess there is a reason I keep going back to NXT 2.0!
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
            Great test 3Fitty! I was out of town this weekend but happy I caught the thread.

Pretty much all the wax tests that I have seen show that there is almost no difference in appearance. Dave KG did a great one with some high end waxes and it showed the same thing. So if I can get the same look with a $20 wax vs a $100 why not. Plus in some cases the less expensive wax is easier to use.

I guess there is a reason I keep going back to NXT 2.0!
            Scott,

Thanks again for the products! I was wondering where you and Chris and Ivan were... (people are going to start to think yall are my imaginary friends ).

In any event, you are exactly right about my findings. NXT 2.0 is certainly the class of the group and the cheapest and the next best was Collinite 845, which was the second cheapest.

I really tried to get some Dodo Juice for this test which would have been great, but I have a sneaking suspicion I already know how it would've performed.

Let me ask you something... about the PB's Natty's Blue. Do you find it as difficult to apply as I did?

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
              Let me ask you something... about the PB's Natty's Blue. Do you find it as difficult to apply as I did?
              Nothing wrong with imaginary friends!

I don't recall, I've only used it once. I did half my hood with Natty's and half with NXT 2.0. I liked the NXT 2.0 better and haven't touched the Natty's since. I keep it around just for the smell.

I did notice the Nano Seal was a pain to remove. I didn't notice any application issues. I've only used that once and after removing it I don't think I'll need to use it again.
              Scott

Comment

Did you wipe the surface with prepsol or alcohol after polishing with #80? If not you have left oil on the paint that will skew the results consdierably.
                Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

This is a great test, I too like 845, and thank you for taking the time to do this extensive test and posting your findings. Whether or not people agree or disagree, I appreciate the effort and you're findings.

Tom

Comment

I also posted a link to this thread at another forum because I feel like there is a lot of information at that forum which runs contrary to things written here, so maybe some of our resident experts can comment.

The single biggest criticism of my methodology is that I used M80 before the LSP, which will have given NXT an advantage. Two things are stated:

1. The oils in the M80 caused bonding issues for sealants like Klasee and SCG's Nano and Barrier Reef and;

2. The "cleaners" in NXT removed this oils permitting it to adhere to the paint.

My response to this stuff (although admitedly I am far from an expert), is that I washed the hood after M80 and rinsed thoroughly as it was my intention to be starting with a fresh canvas.

Any thoughts on my methodology? Has the use of M80 compromised the test?

If so, how many pros use M80 and then continue to use an LSP (not always a Meg's product)? I'll but thousands have with great success.

Nice write up 3Fitty!

I'm my wax comparison test I had similar results as you, and I actually pre-cleaned the panel with Menzurna to avoid such a claim. Yet the end result was the same as yours.

Rasky
                    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Hey 3Fitty, you've taken on a difficult task. Good on ya for trying.

I don't wish to be critical or to repeat the suggestions already offered regarding how the different control variables will affect your results, but my experiences leads me to agree with them.

Just two things:
                      1) It's very hard, to impossible, to see a visual difference between waxes on small squares - especially on silver. I find that what is difficult to see on silver is more obvious on darker colours - but only if it's on a sizeable area.

2) KSG is a funny animal. It's a truelly enthusiest-only sealant, as it requires a few of 'tricks' that Joe Public wouldn't normally tolerate. Firstly, it requires Klasse AIO as a base. Secondly, it needs to be applied thinner than any of the other waxes on test. If you think you've applied it super-thin, then you've probably apllied it too thick. Thirdly, if left to haze (some remove it before it hazes) then the longer you leave it, the easier to remove. After several hours (or the next day) go over it with a water-dampened MF (not QD). Then buff with a dry MF. As I said, a bit esoteric. However, if you follow these simple suggestions (and they're not difficult for detail nuts like you ) then you'll find KSG as slick as snot and will last that way for 6 months or more.

I hope this is taken as help rather than criticism, which it's not.
                      Paul Marmarinos
                      Flawless Prestige Car Detailing
                      "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
                        Nice write up 3Fitty!

I'm my wax comparison test I had similar results as you, and I actually pre-cleaned the panel with Menzurna to avoid such a claim. Yet the end result was the same as yours.

Rasky
                        Thanks bro! Wolf-Strong also had similar findings. I don't believe it to be coincidence.

Comment

I still think it's a great "real world" test of the products.

As I mentioned before about Dave KG's test of high priced waxes (zymol, swissvax, etc.) also showed very minimal differences in looks. He did entire black cars and was very precise in his methods. He even did a bare car to use as a control in the testing results.

Anyone that wants to read that test just search google for "dave kg wax test".

Thanks again 3Fitty for taking the time and effort to share your findings with us!
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Alfisti View Post
                            Hey 3Fitty, you've taken on a difficult task. Good on ya for trying.

I don't wish to be critical or to repeat the suggestions already offered regarding how the different control variables will affect your results, but my experiences leads me to agree with them.

Just two things:
                            1) It's very hard, to impossible, to see a visual difference between waxes on small squares - especially on silver. I find that what is difficult to see on silver is more obvious on darker colours - but only if it's on a sizeable area.

2) KSG is a funny animal. It's a truelly enthusiest-only sealant, as it requires a few of 'tricks' that Joe Public wouldn't normally tolerate. Firstly, it requires Klasse AIO as a base. Secondly, it needs to be applied thinner than any of the other waxes on test. If you think you've applied it super-thin, then you've probably apllied it too thick. Thirdly, if left to haze (some remove it before it hazes) then the longer you leave it, the easier to remove. After several hours (or the next day) go over it with a water-dampened MF (not QD). Then buff with a dry MF. As I said, a bit esoteric. However, if you follow these simple suggestions (and they're not difficult for detail nuts like you ) then you'll find KSG as slick as snot and will last that way for 6 months or more.

I hope this is taken as help rather than criticism, which it's not.
                            Alfisti,

Thanks for the great (and very helpful) post.

I think I've been pretty clear about who I am in the waxing world... just some schmuckie guy with a hobby that consumes most of his free time (when he's not playing with his kids).

Let me address your two points:

1. I think this has been a pretty agreed upon position and I probably agree with it. Although I think the color of the car might be a factor, which kind of supports the Mike Phillips position that "if it looks good on black, it'll look good on anything". Ideally, I would've had a black car to do this test, but didn't feel like car jacking one of my neighbors!

2. This one I can appreciate totally, but will break my reply down in two parts:

a) The first problem I have with your assessment is that I used the QD to remove the Klasse based upon the advice of a longtime Klasse user and lover (and pro detailer). Although he also says to use KAIO as a base. My point is that it could be a case of "different strokes for different folks" or you "can't please all of the people all of the time".

Often, people disagree with something you've done for the sake fo disagreeing, right? Now, you could be right, but does that mean taking it off with QD is wrong? In other words, you're right, he's wrong, but he might think you're wrong and he's right... do you see what I mean?

My point (which I think you probably understand) was to try to test 9 waxes, in various price ranges, to see what worked best for the weekend warrior. The test is NOT nearly done, but so far, the nod goes to NXT 2.0. Collinite 845 is second. I didn't even know this stuff existed before I did the test, so what's the benefit to me to report anyting unless that is what I'm seeing.

b) I'll call this part the "Zaino effect". Zaino might be good, it might even be great, maybe it is even the best, frankly I don't know, but what I do know is when I read how to apply Zaino, it makes me dizzy, confused and feeling the way I do when wifey wants to throw forks at me.

I will always ONLY be a weekend warrior. The majority of the population, even enthusiats will NEVER be pros, so when the "ordinary Joe" reads my test, there is a real value in its simplicity. Do you understand that aspect of it?

Do you think the average detailer (even an enthusiast like me), has to know, that X goes with Y, but you can't use Z or you'll end up with "bonding issues" and you all have to use molecular cell "A" in conjunction with floating neutron "b" in order to maximize sub atomic fission!

Dude... I just want to wax my car.

When I go back and read Todd's response to me, I'm glad he's got a Phd in chemistry, but I don't, nor do most. So frankly if he understands all the chemistry behind it all, good for him but I (and I'd bet a good portion of the populous as well) am simply not.

So, if Klasse is applied improperly and so is VWCR, so be it. They are not for me and probably not for 99% of the people who read this test. Although, something tells me if Albert Einstein or Nikola Tesla were alive, they'd be using NXT 2.0, because both were amazing scientists and both loved a bargain.

Comment

Do you think the average detailer (even an enthusiast like me), has to know, that X goes with Y, but you can't use Z or you'll end up with "bonding issues" and you all have to use molecular cell "A" in conjunction with floating neutron "b" in order to maximize sub atomic fission!
                              This is why I like Meguiars, all their products are designed to work with one another.
                              Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Dude... I just want to wax my car.
                                Sounds like a movie...

and...

Although, something tells me if Albert Einstein or Nikola Tesla were alive, they'd be using NXT 2.0, because both were amazing scientists and both loved a bargain.
                                There's a segment of online enthusiasts that for whatever their reasons, like to complicate what is actually very simple, (washing and waxing your car). Here's one of my favorite new cliché's to type...

"You can make the process as complicated as you like"

That's because I find myself typing up answers for people that for whatever their reasons... they want more and more information and seemingly want to make the process more and more complicated than it has to be. That's okay it's their time, money and perspiration... and I can usually drill down as deep as most people want to get on just about any detailing topic.

That said, at some point these people will need to "push away from the keyboard" and quit gathering more and more information and simply go out into their garage and work on their car.

Like the Karate Kid... "wax on, wax off"

KISS = Keep it Simple Simon

Mike Phillips
                                760-515-0444
                                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');