• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Great 9 Wax Shoot Out!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Great 9 Wax Shoot Out!

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
    Thanks again 3Fitty for taking the time and effort to share your findings with us!
    I read that test before, it is amazing.

Thanks for the kind words, it has been a lot of fun and can't wait until I get home, because it rained today and the CR-V was out, so we'll see.

I also might shoot my first video of sheeting.
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
      "You can make the process as complicated as you like"
      Mike,

This is kind of like what I tell my clients before a deposition. Less talking is always more, so keep it simple.

When someone asks you "do you have the time"... the answer is not 2:30, it is either "yes" or "no". There is a real beauty in simplicity and that probably sums up the Meg's products best.

In any event, I still keep slogging along with my test (as I said) it has been a lot fun. Thanks for the input and I'm sorry if my ignorance in wax application and chemistry has offended anyone.

Comment

I understand where you're coming from about not complicating a wax job.

But, as I understand it, you want to test several products. And a true test of a product can only be achieved if used properly. Because it will determine the results.

For example, some newer spray waxes are mist-and-wipe products. If you test one by applying it like a traditional spray wax by letting it haze, you'll end up with all sorts of heart-ache and hate what may be, an otherwise, superb product.

Not all Megs polishes work the same. #105 should be used differently to #95, etc.

That's why I added a few points about KSG.
        Paul Marmarinos
        Flawless Prestige Car Detailing
        "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Comment

Hey 3Fitty,

I really appreciate your time and effort in doing these tests. I am like you and it is the seeing is believing rather than listening to a lot of rhetoric.

Well done!
          Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Alfisti View Post
            But, as I understand it, you want to test several products. And a true test of a product can only be achieved if used properly. Because it will determine the results.

That's why I added a few points about KSG.
            I think that is all fair and I tried (as best as I could) to follow instructions and your point is well taken.

If I might add one thing though (again, I'm sorry if I'm going to sound like a Meguiar's cheerleader but I am most familiar with their products so I'll use them as an example)... but Meg's has a lot of "items" you can also use to maximize a products performance (like UQD or NXT spray wax etc...).

However, they don't say, "use UQD or NXT 2.0 won't work".

Essentially is what you are saying is if I used Klasse AIO + Klasse SG it would work better. But wouldn't using NXT spray wax as a booster extend the life of NXT 2.0?

I don't think anyone would consider my test fair if I used it, right? I know you see the two as a bit different (and maybe they are), but you have to choose to draw the line somewhere and my line was trying to apply each product in as fair a way as I thought.

Now, polymer A might not mix with glaze B (heck, I don't even know what a "polymer" is) but I think you would have to agree with me, that ordinary Joe detailing isn't going to care.

Let me ask you one other thing...

Do you believe (now remember, in the real world I'm an attorney and have a wealth of "experts" at my disposal), that I could not find someone with a science background (chemistry specifically) to really poke holes in the entire "glaze vs. acryilic sealant" theory?

In fact... I'm almost tempted. I have a major case in my office right now, where I've been working with the absolute most brilliant guy (MIT grad). I'm using him as an expert and thus far he's charged my client about 20k. I'm tempted to send him some of the stuff written here and post his response.

My fear is that it'll end up costing me about a grand, but I have another (sneaking) suspicion, he might disagree.

Anyhow, would any of yall mind if we took the Polymers and neutrons debate to a new topic? This thread is already getting really long and I'm only a few days into the test! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by TH0001
              Also if its just as simple as washing and waxing, then why prep the paint to begin with?
              I left out 99% of what you wrote, because if I were good in science and a lot smarter, I would've become a doctor, because I talk to much and wasn't too smart, I became a lawyer.

However, people prep the paint (as I did here) because it is simple and provides a clean canvas to work upon. If you look at the Meg's advice, here is what they say:

Wash
              Clay
              Paint Cleaner
              LSP

(thay add polish as an "extra" but not a requirement). That is a far cry from needing Jimmy Neutron to help you out.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to do this test!! I haven't tried any of the boutique waxes and never will but still good info.

Ryan

NXT 2.0 FTW!!
                Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Todd, you seem to strongly dislike NXT, but have you tried the second version?

I would be more than happy to send you a bottle to try out.

3Fitty, great job so far on the test and write up. It sure takes a chunk of time to write out the findings!
                  Chris
                  Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Hey 3Fitty,

Awesome job on the test and write up. Thank you for taking the time to do the test. And then taking the time to write down your results/findings and put them here on the forum.

Hey Ryan,

NXT 2.0 FTW!!
                    AGREED!

Andy
                    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

@3Fitty:
                      Thank you for spending your time to perform a comparison test. I really enjoy when products are put to the test in a real world scenario. I tend to agree with you about NXT and Collinite 845 ( found some this at a firesale price at a local Harbor Freight store of all places) . I too am a weekend detailer, mostly for fun and occasional profit. I tend to drift to products that are easy to apply/remove, have lasting results, and are consistent in their results (regardless of vehicle color). There are many people who swear by Zaino, but to me the process seems needlessly complicated. I have used Klasse AIO, but not the Klasse Glaze so I cannot commment on the results. Ditto for the others. While any test will be subject to debate, the results tend to point to the fact that waxes costing 4 times as much as NXT 2.0 do not perform any better.

Comment

Hey Fitty,
                        I know you were just out to have some fun, possibly learn something for yourself and share it with everyone here on the forum, to that, I say job well done.
                        Usually when something like this test are done, some how some way, it will get turned into something it’s not.

Anyway, even though I’m no chemist or pro detailer, there is one thing I do know, waxes are not unlike a lot of other products, there is that " Point of Diminishing Return". When it comes to Meguiar’s products I’m not just talking about the cost factor.

I do love these type of discussions or debates or whatever it is you want to call them. But, what I really love is the blind test method for something. As an A/V enthusiast I have seen so called experts really squirm when presented with these test. There’s folks that claim they can tell the audible difference’s between $10,000.00 audio cables and $5.99 cables that move the 1's & 0's exactly same. Even if one type of cable has more capability than another; one has to understand the human ear has it’s limits.

I believe Joe ( Superior Shine) did a detail where the client only wanted their boutique products used but, he used Meguiar’s and they didn’t even know. That says something doesn’t it?

Comment

Well, thanks everyone for the kind words, the test has been a lot of fun and I urge everyone just stay within the bound of MOL, because I want to keep this thread going.

Most here are ordinary guys who just love cars.

I really wasn't out to make anyone or anything look bad, but let me put it this way.

I use NXT 2.0 (I've never made a secret out of that), I love the stuff but I read all over the internet about other "amazing" products. Stuff that lasts a year, stuff that can do your math homework and stuff that can even make my 3 year old sit still!!! So, by nature, I'm a skeptic and I wanted to try them out for myself.

I knew what I'd get from my NXT 2.0, but this issue was to see if I would get more out of something else. So far that hasn't panned out, so I was left with a small dilema:

Report results that I didn't see (showing the $72 stuff being the best) or report the truth and make myself look like a homer. As an aside...

I haven't called any other product lousy (because it would be premature and I'm not out to disparage anything), I just want to know what works best.

Anyhow... enough explaining back to the test in the next post.

Comment

So the test started on August 8 and today is August 11. It's been three days, the car has been parked in the driveway and exposed to the prevailing conditions. It has been unusually cool for this time of year (it's probably in the 60's right now) and we had some good rain today.

I examined the hood twice today.

First at 6:30am when I leave for work. Temp about 63, low humidity bright sun (rain came later). There was due on the front hood and contrary to what was written above, you could clearly see the waxed areas and the control lines. All 9 areas are CLEARLY coated in their respective waxes.

Is it perfect? I don't know, as I said, I did my best.

In any event, I did not touch the hood in the morning.

Evening (back from work) and after dinner (about 7:15pm), I went out to examine the hood. All 9 areas held up very well from rain. No signifcant water marks anywhere on the hood. I would imagine there was good beading, but the car was dry by the time I got home.

Ran the back of my hand over all 9 areas. Victoria Wax seems to have improved with rain, but there were three "post-rain" standouts.

In no particular order:

1. NXT 2.0

2. Collinite 845

3. Surf City Garage's Nano Seal

SCG Nano Seal is a bit of surprise as it was not one of the better feeling waxes originally but seems to have added slickness post rain, or maybe the other two dropped off a bit.

In any event, if I were to rate the feel, I'd say all three are about the same after one rainfall.

4-9 are all remaining LSP's as the VWCR seems to have improved with rain (either that or the rain just washed it away and it's just my hood I'm feeling j/k).

No pics tonight (back was a bit better today so it was wrestlemania with my 3 year old). Maybe tomorrow with some video.

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing some of Meguiar's other waxes thrown into a test like this. NXT 2 is just not for me. I don't like the look of it on dark vehicles and it seemed to wear off in less than a month.

#26 though is one of the nicest waxes I've worked with. It looks better and lasts longer imo. I;ve had good success with Gold Class too.

Comment

Originally posted by allnitro View Post
                                I wouldn't mind seeing some of Meguiar's other waxes thrown into a test like this. NXT 2 is just not for me. I don't like the look of it on dark vehicles and it seemed to wear off in less than a month.

#26 though is one of the nicest waxes I've worked with. It looks better and lasts longer imo. I;ve had good success with Gold Class too.
                                I agree with you on both points. While NXT might provide the best protection (while it is there) it certainly doesn't do so past a couple of weeks. #26 (IMO) is the jewel and the best wax for the money ever.

I have only met one person who has had NXT last for more then 2 months and the common conception is that 3 weeks is about tops (which is twice as long as the original IME)
                                Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');