• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'00 Dark Blue Jeep Cherokee - Can these rotary swirls be fixed - with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '00 Dark Blue Jeep Cherokee - Can these rotary swirls be fixed - with pics

Ok, In anyone's opinion, will #9 with a polishing pad, and NXT with a polishing pad help this? Dealer detail monkey with a rotary did this..

Last edited by Marc Hufnagel; Mar 12, 2004, 09:22 AM.
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring - Crystal White Pearl

apparently these are called 'holograms' when they look like this?

Comment

Wow, I'm starting to get the impression that dealers have become experts at instilling swirls on customers cars!

I'll pass along what I've always heard Mike tell me. Always start with the least abrasive product and work your way to more abrasive products until the problem is solved. The advantage of doing it this way is your removing the absolute least amount of paint to correct the problem.

So if you have some #9 and a PC with a polishing pad, go for it. You may find that #9 doesn't completely remove the swirls and you may need to try something like Dual Action Cleaner Polish and follow with #9. Give it a try and let us know how it works out.
      Afshin

2004 Pilot - Wifes Car
      2002 CRV - Daily Driver
      1990 Porsche 928 GT - Garage Queen

Comment

Thanks, that seems to be the popular plan of attack, so I'll give that a try, hoping it doesn't need DACP or such, (I've never used that stuff before). I guess there is always a first time, but less abrasive sounds better to start with

Comment

This is just my opinion, but if I had the jeep in front of me I would go straight to DACP and a rotary. I don't think #9 will touch them.

DACP and the PC with a yellow pad will improve them greatly, but I think it will require the use of a rotary.

Again, just my opinion.

Comment

Hi Hellspawn,

First a note: It's a good idea to limit the width of your pictures to a maximum of either 600 or 700 pixels. This allows most people to view the photo with having to horizontally scroll. (I have a 19" monitor and I have to scroll horizontally, just a tip by the way).

ebpcivicsi is probably correct in his suggestion but I know a lot of people don't have a rotary buffer, or are unsure as to how to use one. Plus, if you have never used one before, you don't want to learn how on something that's important to you.

Meguiar's always says to use the lease aggressive product to get the job done, but from the looks of those swirls, I'll guess it will require at a minimum the #83 DACP with the PC/W-8006 combo to remove them. It's hard to say what can and what cannot be done until your try. Paint hardness will be a factor. Chance are you will have to work the #83 over each panel thoroughly, possible more than once.

It's so easy to swirl out a car's finish, and so very hard and time consuming to fix it. So sad...

Good luck!

And if you have some more questions, there is a new forum for PC questions here,

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...?s=&forumid=22

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

yea, sorry about those, first time posting pics. Just was interested in seeing what others thought about the swirls..

Are those better? I just resized them and uploaded new ones.

I'll try the #9 first..

My further question, not being familiar with the rotary at all, was it dry pad that made these holograms or grit in the pad they used?

Marc
              Last edited by Marc Hufnagel; Mar 12, 2004, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Marc, I would venture to guess those swirls occurred from excessive pressure, wrong pad, running to fast, product buildup and possibly the wrong product altogether.

One comment regarding my earlier recommendation. If you are planning to go out and purchase a product because you don't have any then I would agree with what civic and Mike said, Dual Action Cleaner Polish is more of a sure thing where as #9 might or might not do the job. If you already have #9 then you might as well try it. Good luck either way and post some results.
                Afshin

2004 Pilot - Wifes Car
                2002 CRV - Daily Driver

Comment

Do you know of any place that I could get less than a gallon of the DACP? Sounds like I would not need a whole lot of it, if it gets applied like any other wax/polish.

Is the DACP the stuff that gets worked up and down, then left and right, then diagonally? If I were to use that, I do see talk about a hazing sometimes, would I need something else in between the DACP and the NXT?

I'm a bit concerned about the DACP use, but not enough that I won't try it, just want to always err on the side of caution of course.. I don't have the #9 or NXT (14.99) yet, the local oreilly just got nxt wax today and they have #9 2.0 (9.99)

At least being an SUV, they didn't do the roof with the rotary thank god.

Comment

The smallest size of DACP is 1 Quart ($17.99) which would be enough to do your car at least 6 times. You should be able to find it at a Meguiars distributor (typically a paint/body supply shop). If you go to Meguiars homepage you can do a search for a local supply shop. I've also used the phone book successfully and just called around until I found a shop that had it.

If your going to use a random orbital buffer you won't need to concentrate on how to move the buffer, just do what Tim suggested and focus on a panel at a time until you've achieved the results. The haze you speak of has happened to me but I know it's because I didn't work the product until nearly dry. If you don't use too much product and you work it in properly it shouldn't haze. If you have any other hand polish already in your posession you can follow up with that and then use NXT, otherwise just use the NXT.
                    Afshin

2004 Pilot - Wifes Car
                    2002 CRV - Daily Driver

Comment

I'll admit it does sound rather interesting to use I will check and see if the local dealer supply stores can get it and all. It's referred to as Megs 83, right?

Comment

I'll check that out on Monday. thanks!

Comment

Seeing those pictures makes me even happier that my dealer didn't try to "remove" the rail dust from my new car. To their credit, they knew not to mess with the paint and I didn't even have to tell them. Maybe they got the message when they saw my trade-in.

Like Mike says, it will probably take more than one application of DACP with the PC to get those out. You may need a rotary but starting with the PC is a good idea. It will take a lot longer though. You may want to do a section at a time and break it up over a couple of weekends.

RamAirV1
                          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Still being somewhat new to this, maybe you can give me a tip?

Using the 6.5" 8006 pad, how much DACP are we talking that would be needed to do for instance the front or rear door? (just to get an idea)..

thanks

Marc

Comment

With the PC you should only do a 2' X 2' section at a time, so you should only maybe do half the door or less at a time. And when they say to buff until the DACP is almost all gone, they mean it. If you apply too much it will take much longer to get the DACP to break down. I apply one line across the pad for a 2' by 2' area, others recommend an "X" across the pad.

You may also want to consider using the red cutting pad (don't remember #) as it may help the DACP break down faster. I have had real good luck with the cutting pad, even on black, no problems with scratches.

Hope this helps.

RamAirV1
                              2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                              2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');