• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Guy with questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy with questions

I recently got a new car a while back. The paint is in really good shape for the most part. Its got some minor sctraches and scrapes here and there.

I am wanting to claybar it sometime with in the next couple of weeks. The question I have is...

After I claybar, Would I need to run over with the cleaner wax, or can I just go on to the polishing stage?

The other question I have. Im not very familiar with the buffing and clear coats..

If I do the 5 step process and it comes out amazing.. but a few of the scratches didnt disappear or just not happy with one certain area. Would it be possible to go back the next time with a guy that has more expirence and will buff and do the 2 stage clear coat buffing method?

Thanks for the info

2002 Yellow Chevy Monte Carlo SS
    My Albums: http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/Johnson0667/

Re: New Guy with questions

Here are some links to get you into the whole process by hand and machine....

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
    Step 1 Wash
    Step 2 Clean
    Step 3 Polish
    Step 4 Protect
    Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

How to Wash Your Car (ShowCar style!)

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

How to correctly apply ScratchX to remove swirls and scratches

Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer

Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polisher

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover

Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider

So, if you want to use a cleaner/wax and work on the scrapes, here are the two ways to go:

1. Wash - 2 buckets, good soap ,etc
    2. Clay
    3. Clean - ScratchX for the scrapes/scratches.
    4. ColorX
    5. Wax - Nxt 2.0

or:

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. ColorX
    4. Wax - Nxt 2.0

Then come back over the next few days and ScratchX the bad parts, and re-ColorX and wax then.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks for the info..

I guess I didnt get a firm answer that I was looking for.

After I have claybared the car. Can I go over it again with
      Deep Crystal® System Paint Cleaner to do an extra step in cleaning?
      Would that hurt or am I just repeating a process that is already done?

Can I use the ScratchX like I would as wax.. covering the whole car?

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson View Post
        Thanks for the info..

I guess I didnt get a firm answer that I was looking for.

Can I use the ScratchX like I would as wax.. covering the whole car?

Thank you
        After you claybar instead of using the cleaner wax you can use Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner to remove any bonded contaminates. Make sure you work the paint cleaner againt the finish as opposed to just applying it as an ordinary wax. This will ensure you are throughly cleaning and removing any oxidation. Once you are done cleaning the paint you can either polish or move to protecting the finish with a sealant or a wax.
        When using ScratchX you want to work a small 6x6inch area. Working the product against the paint until it "almost" disapears. And generally, for scratch correction you need to work in more than one application of ScratchX. ScratchX is not a wipe on, wipe off product(WOWO) , it is a, wipe on, work in (WOWI) product. Hope that helps clarify.

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond4646 View Post
          Make sure you work the paint cleaner againt the finish as opposed to just applying it as an ordinary wax. This will ensure you are throughly cleaning and removing any oxidation.

What Do you mean by that?

That helped alot.. Thanks

Comment

What Do you mean by that?

That helped alot.. Thanks
            Basically if you put a little muscle behind your pad while applying a Cleaner Wax, Deep Crystal Cleaner or ScratchX then you will remove embedded contaminates or remove water spots to a much higher degree. Work the product into the paint with some passion. Happy to have helped.

Comment

Hello and welcome to mol.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Even though you are "cleaning", claying and using a paint cleaner are focused on two different things.
                Basically the claybar will remove above surface contaminants that have bonded to the paint. Paint cleaner (like Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner / ScratchX) will remove the below surface contaminants like scratches/swirls/holograms/paint etching and so on.

Comment

Thanks for the info.. That was the answer I was looking for!!

Would it be better to do one or the other first, or wouldent it matter?

Comment

Since we are on the same subject When using the scratch X with a buffer what kind of pad/speed would be best recomendation?

Comment

Originally posted by GotBeat5.0 View Post
                      Since we are on the same subject When using the scratch X with a buffer what kind of pad/speed would be best recomendation?
                      ScratchX is now formulated for use on a DA. Most correction is done at speed 5 on a G100 or G110 while using a Meguiars 8006 yellow pad.

Comment

Thanks for the info.. That was the answer I was looking for!!

Would it be better to do one or the other first, or wouldent it matter?
                        Murr1525 in the first reply to this thread included the below article, if you have not read it yet then it's a good idea because it shows you the order in which you use each product and perform each process. That's why he included it in this thread and in many threads because people coming to the forum wanting to learn how to detail their own car need to learn the basics and the 5 Step Paint Care Cycle will teach you the basics.

(Thank you Matt)

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
                        Step 1 Wash
                        Step 2 Clean
                        Step 3 Polish
                        Step 4 Protect
                        Step 5 Maintain

That said, the answer to your follow-up questions is,

You always clay first and then use your choice of paint cleaning product to deep clean the paint and remove below surface defects.

Think about it...

If you have bonded contaminants, (things/contaminants on the surface), then it makes sense to remove these first so they're out of the way when you go to the next step which is to remove the defects "in" the paint, (and under the things/contaminants on the surface).

The only exception to this rule is if you're working on a seriously neglected single stage paint and in these situations you can as an option remove the dead, oxidized paint first with a paint cleaner so you don't load up your clay bar with dead paint.

From another thread Matt replied with in the second post in this thread...

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover

Then after removing the oxidized paint, go ahead and clay the paint because in most cases removing oxidized, dead paint won't remove all of the bonded contaminants, that's the job of clay.

"Claying is the most effective way to remove above surface bonded contaminant's"

Hope this helps...

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');